Notices

Drinking dreams at 16 months!!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams at 16 months!!!!

Suprised me this morning to wake up and recall a drinking dream.. I drank 2 beers in my dream and was proud how I stopped!!!!! It really just goes to show that this disease really never goes away...it's tricky....I'm going to take the dream as a "red flag" and watch myself...maybe I've been a little too cocky in my recovery lately? maybe I'm taking my sobriety for granted? or maybe I have been thinking I can just go back to drinking...just a few?? oh...the work never ends.....

thanks friends being here...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

They still pop up once in awhile for me too...
the recent one I had parked a car because I had been
drinking and could not find it in the hotel parking .garage.

Oddly...the hotel was one I know...it has no parking facilities
and I did not lose a car at any time ..
And due to my dimming vision...I quit driving years ago.

Dreams are just that...dreams.....they don't fortell the future ..IMO
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you and I share the same sobriety date...:o) I had one a week or so ago...hadn't had one for several months prior.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i still get those dreams too. i don't think they'll ever go away completely. i think maybe they are there to remind me of what life was like so i never ever forget the war i fought to get where i am now.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the dreams just startled me, I was shocked! they are good reminders of why we don't want it in our lives.!!! thank god it was just a dream!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had several dreams in which I get high...it's weird because in the dream I legitimately feel high. I had one a few weeks ago kind of like yours...I was in a circle of my friends, smoking a bowl...Two of them were being passed around, in fact. At some point, I declined and said, "I'm good" and was content with the level of highness I had reached instead of feeling compelled to smoke more. I woke up feeling as if I had just smoked and was upset that I had ruined my sobriety. It's so strange to experience the different way the addiction tries to hang on.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Still have them here too 2.5 years,,,they're pretty scary! In each of the dreams I think I've had a relapse!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi - I just work up I am in Australia so it is morning and remembered my dream last night. I have some big events coming up in August that I just found out about yesterday. Well it appears I am already trying to prepare for this because in my dream I was getting lemon juice and water and trying to make my glass look like chardonay and planning on keeping it in my hand all night so that no one would offer me anything! It worked, although someone said my drinked looked very yellow, so less lemon juice was concluded in mind.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Yep, me too at 18 months.

They come and go, but in mine, I'm always feeling guilty or shameful. They're never "awesome" drinking dreams...something is always wrong.

We were talking about this in my AA group a while back and normal people don't have drinking dreams like we do. I think that says a lot.

Kjell~
Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have found, not only for myself but those that I work with, that if I have been under some excess stress a 'drinking and/or using' dream will invade my sleep.

And over these many years I have also figured out that they appear when I am under stress, because ................................ for years prior to recovery ...................................... drinking and/or using were my ways of dealing with STRESS.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I get these too at 10 months.

I always think of them as my disease saying to me "Hey! Guess what? You'll always be an alcoholic. Seeya later!!!"
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've got 17 years and will still have one ever so often. I don't worry about them and am always glad when I wake up and it is just a dream. The good thing is I am always depressed in the dreams after I take a drink and to me that is a positive sign. Same thing happens with smoking dreams and I quit smoking several years ago.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One last night at 3 + years.....

And it was the cheap plastic bottle vodka, like "Popov" or something that I was buying with coins found around the house at the end of my drinking.

It literally gives me shivers to think about it.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
They come and go, but in mine, I'm always feeling guilty or shameful. They're never "awesome" drinking dreams...something is always wrong.

Kjell~
I'm 21 months sober and I get these dreams once or twice a month without fail. They are so realistic that I almost always wake up feeling guilty and angry with myself for relapsing. I agree, I've never had an awesome drinking dream...they all fill me with remorse.

Once I fully wake up and realize that it all was a dream, I am full of gratitude for the gift of sobriety. I've shared these dreams with other alcoholics and many of them experience them as well. My sponsor(s) have told me that our disease is always working and trying to figure out a way to get to us. If we are working a good program, the only way it can get to us is in our dreams.

Whatever the reason, these dreams are a reminder at how cunning, baffling, and powerful the disease of alcoholism is. My sobriety has to always remain number 1 on my list or else I will lose everything that is important to me in life. Without my sobriety I have nothing.