Notices

Day 24. The Swamp is Drained.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 24. The Swamp is Drained.

Days 17-23 of sobriety seemed particulary diffucult- decidedly more difficult than days 1-5. I am no longer pushing thru physical symptoms and am forced to confront the emotional and psychological efffects of floating thru 15 years on a swamp of alcohol, enjoying the ride but never contemplating what I was forgetting under the murky surface.

The swamp seems fully drained now, and I plod amongst the relics and shambles of ignored relationships, family matters, business issues, and pointed internal conflicts. The "foggles" I wore for so long are off and the clarity is mesmorizing, almost intimidating.

I can see why people in AA mark day thirty with a chip. That's when the work of recovery really begins. I just have a glimpse of it a week or so early.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the best plan is to do our best from today forwards. The past is gone, although we can try to make amends as the AA steps say.

I know this is much easier for me to say than for you to do.

Congrats on your sober time. Keep it up!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your progress....
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Love the term "foggles"! I also loved the image of a drained swamp - now you can begin to add healthy, clean water and make a beautiful oasis.

Congrats on your 24 days.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yeah I can definitely relate to that feeling I'm at day 17 and although everything is calm have to start paving a way to a better me..........a sober me.

Congratz on day 24 keep us posted!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great, 4thekidz.. I love the analogy, too. It's great to be starting with a clean body and clear mind!!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep it going !! This is a perfect time to think about what is truely important to you in life and see if you think alcohol is really going to help you get there or maintain what you have. I found that right around the corner is complacency brought on by confidence. Confidence with not drinking is great, but it can also try to change your thinking that you can handle a few drinks. Fight this with all your strength and you will be better for it. I foound I needed to get over that 30-60 day hump in order to get it all out of my system and really appreciate sobriety and focus on what is important. Good luck