Notices

Not all alcoholics are serial liars.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Feeling your pain MaryAnn x
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaryAnn100 View Post
Not all alkies are liars, just as not all liars are alkies. Just sayin.....
I have issues with perception. As an alcoholic.
Every gain in honesty over time gives me a new light to both today and the old dark past.
I still blurt something out sometimes, and it sounds off key.
Like a guitar string out of tune. I reexamine a thing, and say, "You know, that's wasn't quite the truth of the matter"
It was my skewered perception.
I also keep my written 4th steps now instead of burning them, to reexamine how my perception has changed.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't think I ever lied about controlling my drinking...I never tried to moderate...I knew it would be all or nothing....i t just took me years to stop.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ive read over this read a few times and couldnt figure out the point. I guess you are convincing yourself that with all the drinking and moral irresponsibility that goes with it you were still golden on the inside? I used to say that all the time. "I know I drink to much but Im a good person" Alcoholics arent scum of the earth nor should we tucked away into leper colonies. BUT dishonesty is at the core of our disease. If we were totally honest with ourselves and OTHERS the drinking would have stopped long before we came to SR.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My drinking made me lose my caution and that is not good for me or those around me.

Therefore my sobriety is crucial not just for my own safety.
Every time I drank I lied to myself that "it" wasn't in control.

A friend once said to me "how can you tell an alcoholic is lieing, their lips are moving".

The lies can't hide once we shine the light of sobriety on them
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

The only thing I thought when I read this (and not poking fun at the OP at ALL) is wow, what a perfect oxymoron....mainly because I can identify with the opposite of the statement. Many flavors of alcoholics...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Boleo,

Might be true for some.......but not every drunk hides a bottle.......not every drunk fights...........sorry I don't buy that we are all liars...........the only universal lie with alkies is the one we tell ourselves about controlling our drinking.
No we are not all pathalogical liars. Ironically though drinking was the ONLY thing I lied about. To family and most recently my ex-gf because I knew they were worried and I didn't want them to worry... so instead of stopping like I should have I lied.

That being said , not every alcoholic lies about their drinking. However 99% have or do at some point (even if it's just to the cop that asks how much you've had to drink tonight)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For what its worth...I think everyone lies on occasion.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't worry about other alcoholics, but this one was a HUGE liar.

True story.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Something we might want to remember....both the regular guy and the alcoholic are human....neither are perfect, we ALL have flaws.

FWIW, i did not hide my drinking from my partner...it is my house, i drank out in the open, in the living room with my glass in full view on the coffee table or kitchen counter...i was more embarrassed about what the recycle guy thought about me....and the clerk in the liquor store.

i do not think that my drinking destroyed my relationship, i think my drinking escalated along with his gambling...it was a double-whammy....(But I stopped drinking and he has not stopped gambling).
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just to clarify....

Hi,

I think I should elaborate somewhat on what I wrote when I started the thread.

I am an alcoholic yes. Basically an honest person and even my mother called me a "jolly" drunk. And she was far from my kindest critic.

I am basically an honest, passive person. I have told a few whoppers in my time, I am no saint. However, I will not lie at the expense of someone else's character or standing to advance my own agenda or protect my own position. This to me is something I find disgusting. Especially, exploiting a weakness in an individual. I am on the receiving end of such behaviour from a couple of quarters at the moment. It is a complex nexus of problems. I just shared something that I needed to say when I started the thread.

I do not condemn others who have gone further into the alcoholic abyss than I did. Some stuff are just the "not yets" of alcoholism and may very well await most of us if we don't try to address our addiction.

One thing I must say is that a couple of posts here use the knowlege gained when "working" the program in quite a non-spiritual way. Just sayin' .

Anyways, I trust God will do what needs to be done to help me resolve my problems.

Thanks for the ESH shared so far.

Take it easy,

MA100

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Hi,
However, I will not lie at the expense of someone else's character or standing to advance my own agenda or protect my own position.

I would say the same about me except the times that my agenda was to drink and didn't want to hear **** about it , or worry others with my decision to do so.... then I lied and covered it up, even if it was lies via omission.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
For what its worth...I think everyone lies on occasion.
Student: What part of man's thinking is delusional?

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj: 100% of it. LOL!