Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anxiety + Sweat + Nervous due to Alcoholism? New here..

Notices

Anxiety + Sweat + Nervous due to Alcoholism? New here..

Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krug View Post
Very similar: in my 20's I grew very self conscious and would panic and sweat in college classes, or interviews, or even on dates because I was so nervous. I never got better, only worse. SO I went on Benzo's which helped a bit. But 11 years later and many many benzos and alcohol I finally LOST it, and got clean.

I'm in AA, prayer, serenity, and work steps. I'm still nervous a bit, but I'm doing better.

DONT START ON BENZOS, you'll regret it.
Hi,

After reading the posts, I feel A LOT MORE hopeful about recovering. I am going to quit drinking, not even one sip, not even one beer and pave my path for recovery.

I am two weeks off of benzos. Don't want to really touch them, unless I absolutely must use them for work. In fact, it's the only reason why I use them for work. Oddly I recall still feeling more anxious than usual 'while' on benzo.

Growing up though, I was always suggested by others that I sweated more/easily than others.

My headaches are less at home than they are at work, but today I went to play some basketball to get a sweat going. lol
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
...not even one beer and pave my path for recovery.
Hi, Froglet. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Love, love, love to see how you wrote the above. Not drinking clears the way, but there's still a lot of walking to do.

Beautifully said, Friend.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A week has passed and I am here on a Friday because I am trying to find strength in not drinking. After work, I normally hit up the liquor shops, but not today.

However, I took a trip down w/ my little brother down to the store and I tried to fight the urge. I was able to check out, and I even had that look from the cashier when he saw how I didn't check out w/ alcohol.

It's tough, and here at home, I am telling myself to pick up a bottle. The taste is just a routine and crave ! Oh man...

I didn't know how fragile the brain and body is really and hope that I really find solution in combating the sweating issue and anxiety.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I am writing this because I want people here to evaluate my situation, especially my sweating and anxiety. Yesterday at work, I had an impromptu meeting at work. We stood in a circle.

As expected, my anxiety and brain went off on its own, beginning to worry about me sweating, worrying about when the meeting was going to end, & whether or not I would be picked on to talk. More so, I asked myself why my brain is throbbing and on over-active mode.

10ish minutes into the meeting, I started to sweat. I sensed a giant rush of heat and push in my body and head. I excused myself to the bathroom for a bit, to wipe and then return. I started to ponder whether I should've taken a small benzo.

The odd thing is, on a one to one talk in a room, I am more able to be myself and speak and not sweat (although it still has happened before). When I leave office, and in my car, all the anxiety lifts and I can be myself.

As of this post, I have been 3 weeks off of a small dose of benzo for as needed. 1 weekish off of drinking.

What do you folks think? It seems this is an issue I've always had, hence the benzo prescription after checking w/ doctors.

please help.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would see your Dr about your concerns - again.
got to a different one if you think it's required.

There may be physical factors involved.

If not, I'd consider seeing a counsellor about the anxiety, Froglet.

D
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I would see your Dr about your concerns - again.
got to a different one if you think it's required.

There may be physical factors involved.

If not, I'd consider seeing a counsellor about the anxiety, Froglet.

D
Hi,

I've visited a psych before, as well regular doctors a few times regarding this. From the research I put in regarding this, the .50MG benzo has helped tremendously in calming those nerves prior to big meetings. I do think alcohol abuse in the past few years to have contributed to my downfall as well.

However, I'd like to be drug free. I only take the medicine if I anticipate something big.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Way to go on the week from not drinking! Definitely give this sometime. My anxiety/sweating got worse the first two weeks of quitting. I probably didn't see much improvement until at least a month and a half in. Hang in there. It gets so much better.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crow3000 View Post
Way to go on the week from not drinking! Definitely give this sometime. My anxiety/sweating got worse the first two weeks of quitting. I probably didn't see much improvement until at least a month and a half in. Hang in there. It gets so much better.
Thanks for the support and encouragement. It sucks that this sweating occurs in situational events, especially at work, or when my brain just acts up...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
Hi All,

I am writing this because I want people here to evaluate my situation, especially my sweating and anxiety. Yesterday at work, I had an impromptu meeting at work. We stood in a circle.

As expected, my anxiety and brain went off on its own, beginning to worry about me sweating, worrying about when the meeting was going to end, & whether or not I would be picked on to talk. More so, I asked myself why my brain is throbbing and on over-active mode.

10ish minutes into the meeting, I started to sweat. I sensed a giant rush of heat and push in my body and head. I excused myself to the bathroom for a bit, to wipe and then return. I started to ponder whether I should've taken a small benzo.

The odd thing is, on a one to one talk in a room, I am more able to be myself and speak and not sweat (although it still has happened before). When I leave office, and in my car, all the anxiety lifts and I can be myself.

As of this post, I have been 3 weeks off of a small dose of benzo for as needed. 1 weekish off of drinking.

What do you folks think? It seems this is an issue I've always had, hence the benzo prescription after checking w/ doctors.

please help.
Oh I've lived this. I hated getting called on the spot, or getting in front of my co-workers. Believe it or not, in time, even the xanax didn't help.

It's cognitive, it's thought. Try deep breathing, try drinking ice cold water before said meeting, NO COFFEE, EVER. Easier said than done.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh I've lived this. I hated getting called on the spot, or getting in front of my co-workers. Believe it or not, in time, even the xanax didn't help.

It's cognitive, it's thought. Try deep breathing, try drinking ice cold water before said meeting, NO COFFEE, EVER. Easier said than done.
Coffee is a bad stimulant.

Could you care to share more about yourself and what has helped? I've done all that, ice water, bathroom breathing, blasting a/c before going into the office, breathing deep.

Once it starts, it's bad! But if contained, it doesn't happen.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Defense mechanisms if you will, to deal with the eventual; sweating, out of control, "I look like a complete idiot" syndrome.

You know the one, you're sitting in class, or a meeting, and all of a sudden, your boss calls on you or asks you to get in front of the group for a demonstration. You just die, your heart and blood instantly race, your face flushes, you quit breathing, you don't even care/hear what is being said, you focus entirely on your out of control body breaking down into a sweaty embarrasing mess.

So...you can, (and I've done all these)
1. Bring a huge bottle of ice cold water, and slam it down before you get up there.
2. Start "fake" coughing or sneezing, and then excuse yourself because you're sick.
3. Just deal with it as you sweat through your shirt and the beads of sweat pour down your forehead and over your face, dripping from your nose. Shakingly applying a paper towel to your very sweaty face.

Of course there are preventative measures.
1. Sit way in the back and then leave whenever the meeting goes into demo mode or call on mode.
2. Put a bottle of ice water between your legs to cool you down, continually drink ice water.
3. Act sick, and use klenex and just keep them handy in case you may need to do your "coughing routine"
4. Take an ice cube out and put in on you wrists to cool your blood temperature.
5. Put antipersperent, deoderant on your face...YES...actually roll it on your face to prevent moisure. (works)

OR...
1. Limit coffee
2. Pray
3. Deep breath
4. Try not to resent others and don't feel judged yourself
5. Don't care
6. Focus on what is being said, not on what is happening to you.
7. Don't take yourself so seriously.
8. Know that this is not life or death, at the most extreme, just excuse yourself and walk away. This knowledge alone will save you.

I'm not an expert, I've lived this pain and suffered the anticipatory anxiety of the eventual meeting. What's different now is that I am sober/spiritual, I try not to obsess, and try not to care/think about what others may be thinking. This is a maladaptive cognition, "psychic thought" thinking I know what others are thinking, when most just really don't care anyway. Most are checking their email or texting, or just thinking about being somewhere else.

Hope this all helps. Coffee is probably the worst thing you can do in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a great anxiety reliever in the SHORT TERM, but in the long term it certainly exacerbates it.

With regards to sweating: although this is an obvious symptom of anxiety and panic, I noticed I sweated a great deal more when I was drinking. Especially if you are a heavy beer drinker, I think your body attempts to sweat out the excess liquid to an extent. Pretty much completely went away when I stopped drinking like that.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have significant panic attacks 3-4 times a year (predating my drinking). Ativan works great for me in the moment, but as an alcoholic, I don't trust myself to have it around -- it's too tempting to want to take it when I am just feeling anxious and not going into full panic mode. The resolution my doctor and I came to is that I am prescribed one single dose that I keep at home for a panic emergency. Once I take that, I have to go back to the doctor to get another one, so I don't have to worry about taking it too often. Hope this helps.

GG
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I would see your Dr about those concerns.
You can go to a different one if you think it's required.

There may also be some physical factors involved. If not, I'd consider seeing a counsellor about the anxiety, Froglet.

D
Amen...Sounds like sound advice to me. Remember...there are still some unknowns here and some much needed medical advice should be your first option. Alcohol can produce some uncomfortable feelings, especially after a lifetime of exposure. Please consult with a doctor or a addiction counselor before moving forward. We will be here to support you every step of the way.

~God bless~
Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Matt M

The shaking/DTs was the worst for me in work. And when you're aware of it yourself, it makes it alot worse because you're so concious of it. I could barely hold a cup at times, it was ridiculous.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Defense mechanisms if you will, to deal with the eventual; sweating, out of control, "I look like a complete idiot" syndrome.

You know the one, you're sitting in class, or a meeting, and all of a sudden, your boss calls on you or asks you to get in front of the group for a demonstration. You just die, your heart and blood instantly race, your face flushes, you quit breathing, you don't even care/hear what is being said, you focus entirely on your out of control body breaking down into a sweaty embarrasing mess.

So...you can, (and I've done all these)
1. Bring a huge bottle of ice cold water, and slam it down before you get up there.
2. Start "fake" coughing or sneezing, and then excuse yourself because you're sick.
3. Just deal with it as you sweat through your shirt and the beads of sweat pour down your forehead and over your face, dripping from your nose. Shakingly applying a paper towel to your very sweaty face.

Of course there are preventative measures.
1. Sit way in the back and then leave whenever the meeting goes into demo mode or call on mode.
2. Put a bottle of ice water between your legs to cool you down, continually drink ice water.
3. Act sick, and use klenex and just keep them handy in case you may need to do your "coughing routine"
4. Take an ice cube out and put in on you wrists to cool your blood temperature.
5. Put antipersperent, deoderant on your face...YES...actually roll it on your face to prevent moisure. (works)

OR...
1. Limit coffee
2. Pray
3. Deep breath
4. Try not to resent others and don't feel judged yourself
5. Don't care
6. Focus on what is being said, not on what is happening to you.
7. Don't take yourself so seriously.
8. Know that this is not life or death, at the most extreme, just excuse yourself and walk away. This knowledge alone will save you.

I'm not an expert, I've lived this pain and suffered the anticipatory anxiety of the eventual meeting. What's different now is that I am sober/spiritual, I try not to obsess, and try not to care/think about what others may be thinking. This is a maladaptive cognition, "psychic thought" thinking I know what others are thinking, when most just really don't care anyway. Most are checking their email or texting, or just thinking about being somewhere else.

Hope this all helps. Coffee is probably the worst thing you can do in my opinion.
Thank you very much for your post. I suppose this 'pyschic thought' is exactly what I have.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I fell off the bus. =( I had a few due to a dinner. Am I trying and being too hard on myself? The good thing is, I did not touch a sip on WEEKDAYs.

Sigh.. I'm trying hard, in fact I'm planning on taking off from work that one weekend to be clean, but trying to arrange.

I appreciate the help. Feel free to keep typing, and telling me things.. I feel a bit disappointed in myself..
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

I certainly don't think drinking will help either your anxiety or your sweating Froglet.

I had to break the cycle - completely and for good - any amount of alcohol would leave the door open for a return to the madness for me.

D
Old 05-28-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My sweating pretty much disappeared when I stopped drinking. So did the panic attacs that I had before (often when hungover).
I sweated like a pig when I drank.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's been another Friday, and I hope I can continue with it, although I did break the trend.

I'm not sure why, but as of late, I've been getting some headache feeling and just a lot of crave to drink. I didn't drink weekdays though, so that's a bright sign. However, I don't know if its my anxiety w/drawals, or alcohol or both..

I've googled about withdrawals, but didn't realize I can still be affected by the alcohol, even after not drinking for a few days?