Notices

My thin line between love and hate .....

Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

My thin line between love and hate .....

Country Music....

Love it , can relate to 90% of it , but hate that it's so much about drinking and reminds me of so many good times while drinking and not the bad. ( Funny all the various music styles I've gone through country is the one I can relate to the most )

The new Jason Aldean remake of "Dirt Road Anthem" makes me want to grab a cooler full of beer and head up to the state road and find a camping spot like my Ex-GF and I did every other weekend last summer.

Such Freedom and carefree love on those weekends.

That's a dangerous song so I won't post a link to it.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not really sure i get the love and hate thing.

Are you saying that camping and drinking are mutually exclusive?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No ..... How much I like country music yet how much it currently reminds me of all the good times of weekend long camping trips where we were drinking the entire time.

In other words the " first part of the recording " rather than the final track that brought me where I am.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah Country music,

You know what happens when you play country music in reverse?

You get your wife back, your truck works, your dog comes back and you are sober,

Most of the songs are either about something lost or getting drunk or both..

But I still love me some Dave Allen Coe, Hank Williams Jr some of the newer stuff. Really like the band called Rehab have a cool song called Bartender,

Guess my point was earlier is that you can still take go camping and do all the things you used to do, you just do not have to drink. I used to think the same way and still struggle with doing things i used to do drunk now sober. Fishing is more fun now that i remember what we caught, so is going to concerts, going to see Zack Brown and Kenny Chesney soon, are more fun also,

Enjoy the music, enjoy the memories and make new ones..

Good luck
Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You know what happens when you play country music in reverse?
You get your wife back, your truck works, your dog comes back and you are sober.
Love it!

I know what you're saying Enoy - music really does bring memories to life. I found that right after I got sober, I couldn't do certain things because I always did them while drinking. Thank goodness it doesn't stay that way, though. I'm willing to bet that with time, you'll be able to enjoy your music again and camping too.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lol I used to say the same about country music. I've gone through different phases where I liked different styles of music. Now I really like all kinds as long as they have some kind of " soul" or meaning to them..... Some type of story to tell that. I just don't like the really hard stuff and dislike most new pop music.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too have a love/hate relationship with CW music there are some days I just want to scream at the radio or throw something at it because all the songs seem to be about drinking; when that happens I just find something else to listen to fortunetly there are lots of choices
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks for the thread, Enoy!

I grew up on a farm, three miles outside a town of 500. For me, country music is not just a form of entertainment, it's a culture. Now that I'm sober, there are definitely moments when I'm listening to the radio and experience a marked feeling of disconnection.

Fortunately, it doesn't take long before a song like "won't let go" plays, I think to my unborn daughter, and connect with the music in a much deeper way than I connected with any drinkin and fightin tune.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Thanks for the thread, Enoy!

I grew up on a farm, three miles outside a town of 500. For me, country music is not just a form of entertainment, it's a culture. Now that I'm sober, there are definitely moments when I'm listening to the radio and experience a marked feeling of disconnection.

Fortunately, it doesn't take long before a song like "won't let go" plays, I think to my unborn daughter, and connect with the music in a much deeper way than I connected with any drinkin and fightin tune.

Yes there are many many songs in country that really relate to family and kids ...

" My wish " Rascal flats
" I hope you dance " Leeann womack

My personal favorite and the almost exact replica of my life with my daughter :

"There goes my life" - Kenny Chesney ( She was born on my 17th B-day and I've raised her since she was 2 )
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
my drinking days were often carried on in Jazz Clubs
so for me Jazz=Party harty times....

I gave up listening to Jazz for the first few months of sobriety.
It simply made me yearn for the lifestyle

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

I can relate it seemed like the only time I would listen to country music when I was loaded was when I was crying in my beer or after a break up.

I however never really liked it much as I am from the city and when we went out dancing we went to or still sometimes go to the clubs that play R&B and the latest pop music. Other than rap I love all that kind of music.