Notices

10 Months Sober (nearly) and feel BLAHHH

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Months Sober (nearly) and feel BLAHHH

Hi guys

Just needed to come on here and post

Nothing particularly 'bad' has happened other than it looking likely one of my rude, obnoxious (and at times funny and nice too) 19 year old step children is most likely going to be coming back to live with us.. after her pretty much not giving us the time of day (my husband says dont take it personally,remove myself from the emotional disappointment of her treatment of me and just accept she needs help) for the last year.

Hubby and I are talking and working through stuff together

But its not the end of the world, short term gap while she looks for another flat. While its not a terrible thing its really the only thing I can put my finger on that has triggered these feelings of depression, sadness, lethargy etc

I'm probably also premenstural and I just feel like ****

Tried calling my sponsor and two other women in the fellowship to no avail

I dont want to throw myself into comfort eating, shopping - have asked God to soothe my sadness

Could barely work today - (i work for myself thank goodness) so i just came home and have been working from home

I guess these days happen in sobriety too?? I'm normally a pretty positive person so I guess just wanted to see how many of you guys also struggles with days where you feel down, lacking energy etc ???

Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have those too but im only 67 days in. I hear its normal and to be thankful for the ability to feel and not be drunk. When I feel low I come to this site and start reading posts. It usually helps. Hang in there, lots of folks here to help.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I absolutely have those days (blah, no motivation, feel stressed, sad, bored or whatever)....... maybe we notice them more after getting sober...(?)

I'm learning that they don't last forever - usually a day or two, three or four days max - and that sometimes I just need to take it easy and do nothing for a day. I also put it in perspective by imagining feeling that way and then having a hangover on top of it. That usually turns me around a bit!!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Started going through the blaaas around month 9. I've got a year now and they seem to be getting better. It's sure is slooooow though.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah there is nothing worse than a moody stepchild (and sometimes funny and nice) than having to deal with a moody stepchild drunk or hungover.
Sounds like you will have a bit of an adjustment period. You can always come here if you need a reprieve! Nice job on your 10 months. Hang in there...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know anyone that doesn't have a bad day Peta...sober or not.

I do know I'm way better equipped to deal with the down days now...and they;re down days, not weeks

I hope things work out for you and your family - like someone else said - we're always here

D
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

I actually got a bit choked up reading all your responses

It's amazing that even though I may not be able to get hold of my sponsor or other people in the fellowship who I know in my town I can come on here and there is always support

I have gleaned the most amazingly valuable insights off this site- like when I thought I was in love with this 13th Stepper in my meeting who was 14 years sober and totally suggested we should get it on (I lapped up of course but didnt take any action thank God) I rememebr someone on the site saying he wouldnt be surprised if I thought I was in love with the neighbourhood rotweiller at that early stage in my sobriety (was only a couple of weeks in)

With just a few more months sober (i know its still early days) i can totally see the infatuation for what it was, and him for who he is,, physically sober but totally not emotionally - anyway I digress

Point is thank you thank you so much

all of you

I'm already feeling better

You're right - I think I just needed to BE today.. feel the feelings, know they'll pass and just be kind to myself

I walked the dog,, lay on the couch ,, booked a show to take my grandmother to etc
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get these blah days a lot, and now I know what to call them
It’s seems at times nothing goes right but these type days don’t last forever, although it sometimes feels like it.

I get moody; feel lazy and frustrated, like nobody understands…

The only thing that brings me out of this is to post here to other people, who understand.

I hope you feel better soon, 10 months is awesome!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you here again.....

Prayer helps me keep in emotional balance
and
working with anewcomer keeps me growing.

Well done on your recovery time
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We all feel a little blahh every now and then. But every time I feel like that, I remember two things...the blah feeling passes and if I drink, I'll feel hungover and really BLAH ( and depressed and let down ). Not worth it. I walk when I feel a little off....the fresh air always does me good Take care.

Tracy
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peta View Post
Thanks guys

I actually got a bit choked up reading all your responses

It's amazing that even though I may not be able to get hold of my sponsor or other people in the fellowship who I know in my town I can come on here and there is always support

I have gleaned the most amazingly valuable insights off this site- like when I thought I was in love with this 13th Stepper in my meeting who was 14 years sober and totally suggested we should get it on (I lapped up of course but didnt take any action thank God) I rememebr someone on the site saying he wouldnt be surprised if I thought I was in love with the neighbourhood rotweiller at that early stage in my sobriety (was only a couple of weeks in)

With just a few more months sober (i know its still early days) i can totally see the infatuation for what it was, and him for who he is,, physically sober but totally not emotionally - anyway I digress

Point is thank you thank you so much

all of you

I'm already feeling better

You're right - I think I just needed to BE today.. feel the feelings, know they'll pass and just be kind to myself

I walked the dog,, lay on the couch ,, booked a show to take my grandmother to etc
Nice...
Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Peta, I am at 97 days sober and have been having a case of the BLAHHHs the last few weeks. I am quite certain that alcohol is no cure and would only make things worse for me, but I still have intermittent urges to use marijuana to take away the boredom and general uneasiness. But I know damn well that I need to learn healthy ways of coping. Thank you for your inspiration.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Just keep taking action until the phase passes. Keep a list of actions you do and maybe read them to make sure if the situation arises again you have what you did last time. It is ok to be unconfortable, and bored, and just feel gross in general. The key is that you don't feel bored. You can use it to your advantage if you set an alarm on your phone or write out in your journal how it was and how it is in the future. I am 8 months in sober and I know everytime I get that way that I may feel unconfortable, but I know it is a phase. I know that just because I don't feel great, doesn't mean I can avoid helping others, and it doesn't mean I can't still find help.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

My brain loves to start things, but not finish them, which overall isn't good, but the good thing is when I am bored, I can come up with some random things to do then when my boredom is over then I can toss them away and I understand I was just giving my brain some "brain food" to get through some boredom, then I go back to finishing Recovery reading, or recovery help, or other things. I often will just write about some random person in my life, I will write out what I did, I will write out what I am eating, or do research about certain vegetables and then eat them and see if they really make you feel better.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im right with you. My year is in three weeks and for a few days Ive had the feeling like I'm burned out, tired, self pitty and a touch of depression. Ive had these feelings before and I know they pass. Ive accepted hardships as a pathway to peace. Every time I get the way Im feeling, when it passes I have a abundance of peace.

This to shall pass and it always does.

Hang in there. Lots of Love,
Michael