Notices

New Here...trying to quit again

Old 05-04-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

GBD

I took Naltroxone after my last relapse, but stopped when my phsychiatrist said it wouldn't help with binge drinking. He said it was more for everyday drinkers. I can't say I felt any different on versus off.

I am hoping for you to find your way as I need to.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well my daughter is here and I'm in love!! I'm also one week sober tomorrow. I had to reschedule my Dr.'s appt. because I was at the hospital with my wife, but am still going.

I did have counseling for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs and it helped alot in that I used to be an almost every day drinker (binging as well). Now I just binge really.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know your baby arrived to a sober Dad...
I've yet to meet anyone who said they were proud
and pleased to have drinking parents.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your week sober and your new daughter! What a great combo!!

Keep going and use that beautiful new life to propel you to be the best you can be. (Just a tip - your wife will adore you if you take a night feeding here or there or even if you just bring the baby to her in bed if she's breast-feeding.).
Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dad

Two miracles in one week, your beautiful baby girl born healthy and well and you healthy and working on your sobriety. There is an app for a smart phone called quit drinking which is amazing and very, very helpful.

God Bless your beautiful family x
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GonnaBeADad View Post
Already no booze in the house, I learned a long time ago that if I go buy a six pack, I'm drinking a six pack...that day.

I haven't considered rehab yet, but if this stab at quitting doesn't work out, that's one of the few options I have left. I WILL get better, its just a matter of finding a way that works for me. I can't just decide to stop and quit the way I've done in the past because that almost guarantees a relapse.

I'm sick of not remembering what I've done. I tiptoe around conversations with my wife sometimes because I don't want to ask a question that she's already answered, but that I don't remember because I was drunk.
First of all congrats. Being a new Dad sent me into a tail spin with my drinking, so fair warning. I too was hoping that having a child would force me to "wake up" and stop drinking alcoholically. Until I accepted the fact that only I can decide when to STOP for good. Having a child only in the end gave me another excuse to drink (the stresses). Re-read what you wrote "i.e "if this stab at quitting doesn't work out,.."" and think about it. If you have that attitude this time around, chances are you may not be very sucessful. You need to WANT IT. Coming here will help you be sober, but only YOU can make it a reality, and continue to be present for you new child. Be the Dad you want to be. I am speaking from personal experience here. Figure out what is truely important to you right now. You may just decide to be sober....forever.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

WOW!!! Congrats on the birth of your daughter - I am sure she is so beautiful Having a child enter your life is an incredible, amazing, priceless experience! Children are truly a blessing like no other.

Congrats on your week of being sober, that is awesome - keep going strong, hold your head up and things will continue to get better one day at a time. Not going to be easy and take a lot of energy and hard work BUT it is so rewarding.

Congrats again for becoming a father, enjoy every single moment with her -- they grow up so fast.

Take care of yourself GBAD! *hug*

-Jess
Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
Congratulations on your week sober and your new daughter! What a great combo!!

Keep going and use that beautiful new life to propel you to be the best you can be. (Just a tip - your wife will adore you if you take a night feeding here or there or even if you just bring the baby to her in bed if she's breast-feeding.).
I'd take plenty of nights feeding but she's strictly breastfeeding right now. I'm helping as much as I can though.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: “It doesn’t matter where you are, you are nowhere compared to where you can go.”
I just wanted to join in on the congratulations on being a new dad and being a week sober! Both are super exciting! I know you must be floating on air right now!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Your post resonated with me because it sounds exactly the post my RAH would write. I admire your sense of determination that its not if you will stay sober just a matter of the method of getting there. Forgive yourself for the past and allow yourself the chance to be present for your wife and daughter. Don't give up.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Re:New Here...trying to quit again

Originally Posted by GonnaBeADad View Post
Hello everyone,

First time posting here so I'll give a little background. I'm 28, a tax accountant, my daughter is due this week, and I am a complete alocholic mess. I've tried quitting several times and I usually last awhile (30-60 days) but always end up going back to the bottle. I'm a binge drinker, I can not drink for 4 or 5 days easily but when I do drink, I really drink.

I woke up at 1:44 AM this morning on the couch, still in my clothes. I had a 10 minute phone call with my brother yesterday, anda 20 minute call with my Dad. I only know this because its in my phone history. I was home sick, and I don't remember my wife coming home from work. This morning, she told me she obviously wasn't enough and she really hoped my daughter will be enough for me to stop.

So, I'm making another go at it. I've made an appt. with my doctor to check on getting some meds...antabuse, campral, whatever. What are everyone expeirences with these? My big problem is that when I quit, there's always an end...a time where I'll be able to drink again. I need to somehow take that out of the equation.
Welcome...back.