Notices

What does your Avatar mean to you?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kind of silly...But eveyone has a different Avatar on SR, from the obvious, to the sublime.

Mine is "Mister", our half Boston / half neghborhood tramp (pit, we think). Mister was a part of my "bottom". One night in October he got hit by a car, and I was too drunk to take him to the 24 hour vet clinic. All I could do was hold him. Fortunately, I was able to get ahold of my wife, who rushed home and and got us to the vet. Sadly, we were held up for a few minutes after I realized that we might be awhile, so let me run back inside and grab the rest of my beer for the road.

The vet was unsure of Misters condition, putting him down was mentioned, and said that they could keep him overnite for observation, or we could take him home. We took him home. My wife and I agreed that if Mister were to die, he would die next to family who love him, not in a cage at a vet clinic.

I took off work the next day and stayed by Misters side the whole remaining weekend. Lifting him on and off the couch, giving him his meds, etc. Amazingly, he slowly recovered, and is now back to his old self. Amazing, after being dragged under a car for about 30 feet.

That night with Mister was one of the many planks that make up the floor of my "bottom". I stopped drinking in November, go to AA, got a sponsor, and am currently working the steps. Recovering. Mister recovered. I'm recovering.

Anyhow...that's my Avatar...tell us about yours.

Zube
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's my hobby and at times my sanity. Riding bikes gives me time to think about life, recovery and the best thing is it's good for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, what a story! He's ace, by the way. What a face! I have a faithful companion - Taffy, who is a Westie/Jack Russell mix. We've had him for 5 years - found him in the pound - and brought him with us when we moved from the UK to US three years ago. Life is so much better with him, he's stuck by me through thick and thin. He nearly passed away in November (actually started on Thanksgiving night) after a back injury and the meds caused him to have a gastro internal bleed. He was paralyzed for 6 weeks and in that time, I slept on a mattress on the floor next to him every night. I think my drinking really took off around then - I couldn't face the fact I was going to lose my best friend. I remember sleeping with my hand on his back all night, feeling emotionally wrung out, and also blotto drunk. Horrible. I'm pleased to say he made a miraculous recovery and is now back to normal! He's out in the yard right now, obsessing about a family of baby rats under the decking...

My avatar is pretty self explanatory. New wings - that's what I have. I truly believe I was saved by an angel the night I lived through that very close brush with death. I've just bought a silver ring with a pair of angel wings on it, to wear on my drinking hand. It'll be a reminder of where I am today...so if I ever, ever slip, I'll see that ring as I pick up the glass and it will remind me of what and where I want to be.

Great thread, by the way!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

My avatar is one of my paintings. My paintings are a symbol of peace, serenity, hope and freedom for me. Painting is something I finally picked back up after 20 years of drinking and 8 years of sobriety.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't think mine needs much explanation, but I'm trying to hit the reset button for my life.

A "do-over" if you will.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My Avatar is a photo I took in the morning months ago.. it signifies the peace, solitude, beauty, and a new beginning. Each morning I just think how lucky I am because I am sober and not hungover... and that each day is a new adventure that I truly look forward to.

There was another thread on this topic awhile back... it is rather interesting how everyone came up with theirs.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine is me submitting someone in a jiujitsu tournament. Went that night and saw the movie Inception with someone very special that I liked too. It was an all around great day of being sober and I welcome more days like that to come. Winning over alcoholism is a "fight" and much like dieting and, training and working out for a tournament I have to log-on here, talk to others who struggle, and do the necessary things to be successful. You all are my training partners of sobriety and strengthen me for this daily fight
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Mine is all to obvious, I like cats and cool art work of cats.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mine has no meaning.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a story Zube, respect!!

Mine avatar is how I looked in the mirror the last couple of days: satisfied about not being hungover.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Amazing Zube - Thanks for sharing that inspiring story. Great thread.

My avatar is a picture of me and my daughter at one of her favorite places - the park. It was our first day back at the parks this year b/c the weather has been such crap here. That little girl is my everything. My reason for living. I'd be lost without her. She faces incredible challenges and struggles each day (she has classic autism, mainly non verbal and adhd) but she gives me the strength, inspiration and motivation to see that she reaches her fullest potential in life and grows up learning to embrace her differences.

-Jess
Old 05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
Mine is me submitting someone in a jiujitsu tournament. Went that night and saw the movie Inception with someone very special that I liked too. It was an all around great day of being sober and I welcome more days like that to come. Winning over alcoholism is a "fight" and much like dieting and, training and working out for a tournament I have to log-on here, talk to others who struggle, and do the necessary things to be successful. You all are my training partners of sobriety and strengthen me for this daily fight
your right leg should have been bent all the way over your left ankle...you would have had alot more leverage. j/k i hope you had a good grip on the back of his head. you could have also transitioned to an arm bar too. it looked like his arm was hanging way out there.

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Kind of silly...But eveyone has a different Avatar on SR, from the obvious, to the sublime.

Zube
my avatar is a picture of my Bible open to Psalm 23..see my signature for more.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nothing
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I change mine often...because I like variety.....:
Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get bored easily too LOL - I seem to have fallen into a muppet theme tho, so I'll stick with that

D
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Mine is art that shows what it feels like to be manic depressive (bipolar).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Mine is the Mayflower Hotel in Akron. It's a famous hotel in Akron, OH. -- if you're not sure what it's famous for..... CLICK HERE

I went down to Akron with my sponsor, a couple buddies and my great grand sponsor early last year. (They were standing under the Mayflower sign but I cropped them out).
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mine represents courage and adventure.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mine is pretty self explanatory ...yip I am a wee lass from Bonnie Scotland
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm like Carol - I change mine a lot just for fun.

There's usually an animal theme because I am a big animal lover.

This one is about taking time to stop and smell the flowers!