Notices

Being sneaky

Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sneaky

Have you ever been sneaky with your drinking?

I have been doing things such as

hiding booze in the garden,sneakily buying booze when my father takes me to the supermarket, waiting till everyones out the house then buying booze...

I have to hide my drinking from my parents cause they know i drink too much but there's no point sneaking cause they always smell it or can see i'm half blotto.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I hid it from my kids - I thought...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I'm sure most of us have.

What's the plan to get yourself out of this mess?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What's the point of trying to hide something everyone already knows about? Are you afraid they'll make you leave the house? Are they practicing denial? Are you?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought I was sneeky! I would never be hired as a spy!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

The last 11 years of my life have been, in part, spent trying to hide my various addictions from others. I never succeeded as well as I thought I had.

Do you have any plans to stop? We will be right here for you when you do full of support Of course until then, we'll also be here. There's a lot of helpful reading to do on these forums I hope you find the inspiration/strength to find your own recovery

-Jess
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

I'm assuming you realise that what you're doing is a sign of alcoholism, right?

For me, I'd hide and sneak out of shame.
I mean, isn't that why people who are ashamed of doing what they know is wrong, is done by hiding it so others won't find out?

I became obsessed at hiding my drinking. Anything possible.
That's how sick I was into my addiction. When I started making it my goal to figure out how to always have it around me while hiding it from my friends and family.

It's a sucky life when alcohol is all you think about.

I hope you're ready to free your mind from all this, or get there real soon.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
High on Life

Why not try quitting, it's so much less stressful than hiding??
Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After a big binge while drinking at home I would sometimes crush the cans and put them in the recycle bag as if I never had a drink. If I was lazy or to drunk to do it the night before I would wait for an opportunity to get rid of them the next day. I constantly lied about how much I drank.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'd keep the bottle in a brown paper bag on top of the fridge and put my glass of bourbon up there behind a bottle of water or other things. Thought I was hiding it from my kids but I'm sure they knew.

When I spent the night at my in-laws house I'd sneak down and hit their liquor cabinet after everyone else had gone to bed. That was not cool and when I realized I was doing that I started to seriously think about quitting.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Matt M

I used to hide booze all the time.
My parents knew I was drinking heavily, possibly didn't quite realise how much, but they knew and I think they didn't really want to address it properly. Not that i'm blaming them because I did a pretty great job of hiding the extent of my problem, it's only when it caught up with me last year.
So in a way, me being hospitalized addressed the problem head on - I had no choice then.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Of course...I lived with my parents for a couple months while my condo was on the market...I would pick up a bottle on errands and hide it in my closet...I had a nice big canvas bag. That way I would have a couple of glasses of wine at dinner and go up to my room to "read" and do my real drinking...hiding the smoking was harder.

Life is so much easier now...why don't you give it a try?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heck yes!

In addition to hiding booze in strange places I also used a variety of "mis-direction" techniques. I would nurse a beer or two while grilling, leaving the grill every so often to go chug a shot of vodka in the bedroom. Or buying bottled water, pouring it out, and refilling the bottle with vodka and some other clear liquid.

When I stopped drinking it was a relief not to have to work so hard.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

-I would go pour myself an extremely stiff drink, like 90% whiskey and 10% coke and then take a large gulp (about half of it) and then fill it up with coke again. Then I would go sit down with everyone and just sip it as if I drank normally, when in fact, I had 3 shots working their way through my body.

-I also found myself slamming a beer when I went to get another one at my parents cabin once. I would slam a beer grab another and then just go sip on the new beer as if that was the only one.

-Lastly, I filled up a whiskey bottle at my girlfriends house with some water so that it didn't look as if I had drank that much......totally backfired once when she put it in the freezer later and it actually froze.

It is much better to not have to hide, lie and sneak around and remember what lies we told to whom....espcially when I know I didn't remember things that well anyway.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I have a sponsee who shared what I believe had to be the ALL TIME hidden booze scheme. I still smile when I think about it.

He bought a new unused windshield washer reservoir for his car and then disconnected the tube that feeds the washing solution to the wipers and ran it through the firewall and into his glove box. He would fill the reservoir with booze and then he could push the wash lever in the car and fill his glass from the tube in the glove box.

He was greatly relieved and had a cleaner windshield when he quit drinking. He is still sober some 9 years after sharing that story with me.

Jon
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BHF

For the later part of my drinking career I lived alone and didnt have to really hide it that much, at least not hide the actual act of drinking. I did have to try and hide the fact that I had been drinking. I did this by lying to rationalize my actions. Why did I not arrive at my mother's house on Saturday morning to help with yard work as I said? I was sick....I had car problems. Why could I not make dinner with my sister and brother-in-law? I had to work...I was so far behind. Why could I not be at work on Monday morning after I had got drunk, blacked out and had to get stitches across my eye? I was in a car wreck over the weekend. These are all lies that I told to try and "hide" the fact that I was quickly spiraling out of control.

I did try to sneak drinks by arriving early to dinners/functions and having several drinks beforehand. I would do the same by drinking at home prior to events. Sadly, towards the end I just lied to others and said that I wasn't drinking and began to drink alone, or in bars by myself. I found it easier, with less chance of getting caught, to isolate myself from others and drink, all the while creating a different persona for myself which I knew was a lie...except when I was drunk. This too failed eventually.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

I never hid bottles. I did do what some others mention: pre-partied, drank alone and hoped others wouldn't notice how much, gulped down half a glass of wine and re-filled before others would notice (or so I thought) and made my cocktails about twice as stiff as I would make anyone else's.

I think this shows how you can hide in plain sight.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat View Post
I kept my vodka in a corner of my kitchen near the fridge that was obstructed unless you were right there. It made it easier to conceal my drinking. The really insane part: I lived alone.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was certainly guilty of many of the aforementioned behaviors. The thing I wonder about now is if I have a superhuman ability to spot these behaviors in others. Takes one to know one and my recent sober observations have been reveling some interesting things about people I thought I knew.