Notices

Going on Vactation sober?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going on Vactation sober?

Today I am 63 days sober and 40 pounds thinner!!I'm truly happy, and do not miss drinking. I can now go out among it and not even think about doing it. (never thought that possible) I truly feel as if I have an allergy to it.. But this situation is different.. I am coming up on my June vacation where I am facing two very big issues that scare me.. Flying, and vacationing sober. I am TERRIFIED of flying, drinking was my only way of coping, and I have never been on a beach vacay sober since I was a young child! I can't imagine what I'll do? That may sound ridiculous to some, but I am pretty freaked out.. Anyone been in a similar situation? How did you handle it? Any advise? I am going to Fort Lauderdale FL, so I know I'll be tempted as heck there!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

With 20 years sober I went to Daytona a few months
back with my husband on our Harley Road King for their
bike fest. We got a room on the beach for the event and
would be my first time at a beach sober altho Ive been
on quite a few trips sober.

I quickly ran on the beach after arriving and stood there
with the wind blowing, waves rushing on shore, sun shining,
gulls flying and there with my new husband sober. I breathed
deeply, smiling brightly and in just awe at how awesome it
was to be there at this time in my life.

Just to know and feel a freedom like no other. Freedom from
being held hostage to alcohol.

I hope you enjoy the moment and appreciate with much
grafulness that life without alcohol is so rewarding.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No matter what the situation alcohol has no power over me unless I put it in my body. Events, holidays, and vacations are all good excuses to drink but not good reasons.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to feel the same way about flying (and vacations too for that matter). I think the terror you feel now about drinking will far outweigh your fear of flying. I am terrified of needles and doctors. I always obsess about it and when I get a shot or visit a doctor I laugh inside my head, because it is never as bad as it seems. When I was afraid of flying i would go to this site (Flightradar24.com - Live Flight Tracker!). Once I saw the number of planes in the air at any given time, I realized that it is very safe.

This is my take. It may seem stupid, but it helped me.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went on vacation earlier this month. Not having booze actually made it better.

Just put it in your mind that you're not going to drink- just like you have for the past couple of months- and you'll experience something new and cool. My guess is you'll have an awesome time.

(Plus it'll be a lot cheaper!)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think one of the best experiences in the world is walking on the beach early in the morning when there are few if any people around, it is so beautiful and peaceful and something I never got to do and didn't appreciate when I was drinking because mornings were of course spent trying to recover form the night before. I find all vacations much more enjoyable w/o alcohol because I used to obsess about my next drink and I may have been having a great time but I never remembered any of it. I'm also rather afraid of flying but I always bring a good book and as soon as the plane starts taxi-ing I start praying and then I do the same upon landing, in between I just zone out with my book.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jamdls;2951054]I think one of the best experiences in the world is walking on the beach early in the morning when there are few if any people around, it is so beautiful and peaceful and something I never got to do and didn't appreciate when I was drinking because mornings were of course spent trying to recover form the night before. QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Honestly, it has only happened a couple of times (walking on the beach in early morning sober), but it is transformational.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

I recently had my first beach vacation sober in years and years. It did feel strange, but as others have said it is nice to enjoy the beach in the morning and not be hung over!

It was different. I mentally planned for it. What was I going to do while other people were having pink drinks with umbrellas in them? I made sure I had something nice to eat, and some nice drink (special juice and seltzer) so I didn't feel deprived.

It was a relief not to have to worry about my intake, was I making an idiot of myself, etc. Easier to enjoy just being there. Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

congrats, some nice numbers right there (wow 40lbs!) you can do this!
I think it will be great to have a clean sober holiday
as for the flying thing I googled that topic and there are a few web sites with advice
Free self-help for those with the fear of flying.
have fun, I'm jealous
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being that I live very near the beach the "beach vacation" scenario happens to be an every weekend type of thing for me. I have spent many a drunk weekend on the beach, but now instead of nursing a hangover in the sand or surfing drunk or hungover, (which can be very dangerous), I haver been able to really enjoy the healthy feeling of the sun and surf and be really in the moment doing it. And now I don't have to think of all the ways to beat the "beach booze ban", here in SD. As far as vacations sober, I did Vegas a few months back, and I really enjoyed seeing another side of Vegas, getting up early and walking the strip and seeing the sights and enjoying some great meals. I tried to gamble sober, but it was very early in my sobriety period, and my nerves were a wreck. I would shake as I was putting down bets and just never felt comfortable...I hate to lose money....so gambling is off my list of fun vacation things to do. I have probably done 3 or 4 short vacations since I became sober, and the best thing about all of them was I felt great the whole time, I was never too drunk or too hungover to spend memorable enjoyable time with my family, and that made these vacations better than any I have had before.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You guys are all wonderful!! You have no idea how much these replies helped my thinking! You all rock!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A vacation from hangovers, is a great vacation.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
No matter what the situation alcohol has no power over me unless I put it in my body. Events, holidays, and vacations are all good excuses to drink but not good reasons.