Notices

Best day of my life

Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best day of my life

Hi everyone,

I've been around here for awhile and I decided to registrer in december. Reading the posts here on this forum every day, and I want to thank everyone for sharing all their stories and experiences. This day would come some day, I knew it but I never wanted it. Until now...

I woke up again today, somewhere in the afternoon, with a foggy state of mind trying to remember what happened yesterday. A complete black out again and assuming to the beer which was standing next to my bed, I think I've had the idea to drink again today, but something else happened to me. I WANT to quit!

Never experienced this feeling before and it came out of nowhere. The real feeling of wanting to quit. I came out of bed and walked downstairs to my parents, telling everything to my parents and openly about my alcoholism. I didn't cry for a long time, but I just couldn't keep my tears away, tears of euphoria. I called a friend, who's father is in alcohol addiction care and I told him openly about everything and that I wanted help... Help is coming for me.

The first step has been made and the big steps have yet to come..

Greetings,
Drexo.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, HUGE steps! I wish you all the best. You have taken a huge step forward, and better days are yet to come. Stick around and share your progress!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Super wonderful, Drexo. Like you, my sober switch "flipped" pretty suddenly. When it did, I had a very similar experience with the tears and admissions.

Now please grab that help by the horns and never look back!

Really really happy for you.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a wonderful thing! You Go Drexo!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome to the posting side of SR!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Re:Best day of my life

Welcome...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so thrilled for you....

Welcome to the sharing part of our recovery community
Please do keep posting...we are here to support you
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I truly believe that the want-to is the most important component. For me, when the want-to was truly there, quitting wasn't too hard. My first attempt, the want-to was maybe only 80 percent, and I relapsed. That made my will stronger, and my second, current attempt was 100 percent, and has lasted a year so far.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Big steps on day 1..I like it!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome Drexo,
Old 04-28-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck Drexo and stay strong!

I had a similar experience. I woke up one hazy afternoon and just had a very strong feeling within me. I knew I was going to quit drinking.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mine decision to quit hit me like a ton of bricks as well, I actually set down the empty glass, grabbed the bottle and instead of pouring the next drink I poured it down the sink. Best decision I ever made!

Welcome!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies and motivation! Much appreciated.

Some more info about my situation: I live in a small village in The Netherlands and I'm almost 25 years old (male). The alcohol started as something frivolous around the age of 16, but as the expected progression of alcoholism grows, it obviously got more and more.

I didn't take alcohol serious in my puberty and I didn't had a clue alcohol was so dangerous. Yes, of course I knew I wouldn't feel good the next day, but I would be fine the day after that. Looking back to the starting days, alcohol has controlled my life ever since. Especially the mental related problems, which I didn't had any clue it was because of my alcohol abuse. In my life nobody talks - or has spoken - about alcoholism or the danger of it. Everyone around me "just" drinks... And I can't tell those people are alcoholics, but I sure am an alcoholic.

The last 2 years of my life, alcohol became my profession and a mental obsession. The problems got bigger and I started searching on the internet about alcoholism around october last year. I've spend days searching for information about alcoholism, and slowly but surely everything in my life, especially the mental problems, fell into place. I discovered these forums and I'm so glad I found you all. A lot of stories were eye-openers for me and I really started to feel what my problem has been all the time.

Stubborn as I was, I still tried to get some control on alcohol and I didn't want to quit - yet. My alcoholism progressed to 12 0,5litres of beer with sips of vodka in between, a day. I would drink on the evenings / nights, but the last two months I started earlier and earlier to sip beer. It would go on 4 days of drinking, then I would taper down 2 days, 1 day "sober" and off I go again.

And here I am now and I'm so glad yesterday I've experienced the real feeling of wanting to quit. I have some soft medicines, vitamines B/C and my parents took days off from work to keep an eye on me with the withdrawals. Luckily I got some sleep last night and the withdrawals are mild right now (I've had way worse). I feel very positive and next week I have an appointment with addiction care and they will advise me which way is the best to go for me...

- Drexo
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks for taking the time to post, Drexo. Neither of us knows how many others you've helped by sharing your story...but I suspect it was many!

Going forward, I would only encourage you to continue being completely honest, especially with those responsible for guiding you through the recovery process. This advice is medicine I find very tough to swallow. But, it is all for good.

I am proud of you.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome
My decision was similar in that I woke up Sunday morning about a month and a half ago with a hazy recollection of the previous night and just knew I was going to stop drinking, so far so good.
I had the same feeling when I gave up smoking (over 10 years ago) and stopped eating meat (5 years ago). Its hard to explain but it feels real and solid
Reading here helps back up that decision, well it does for me as I don't do AA. I have also been watching a lot of tv shows about addiction and reading up a storm about the subject, I'm like a sponge trying to soak up as much information as possible
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like a real epiphany!

And you're fortunate to have supportive parents with you, and to be in the Netherlands where you can get the care you need. (Medical care is not easy to come by for many of us in the U.S.)
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations! What a wonderful story to read.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all again for the replies and motivation! It really feels good.

-

I've had a good sleep last night, with very vivid (almost lucid) dreams. Today I'm feeling better mentally than yesterday and I have a positive state of mind! Physically I'm doing good too, a bit tired maybe, but that's not a problem. Eating healthy with lots of fruits and I'm drinking quite a lot of water over the day.

Here in The Netherlands, this night we have "Queen's Night" and today is "Queen's Day". I can't remember a single time I didn't go to party and drink lots of alcohol on these days. Some friends called me up and asked me what I had in planning... I told them honestly too of my drinking problem and that I won't be there to party. Got a good supportive response from them, which gives me a good feeling too.

Enjoying my first moments of a bit sobriety... I like it.

- Drexo
Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Thank you SO much for posting Drexo and I am so happy that you are here with us. You've made huge steps towards your recovery and your story is inspiring to more than you realize, I am sure

Good luck to you in your recovery and I hope you keep coming back!

-Jess