Notices

Best day of my life

Old 04-30-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated!

-

Today whole The Netherlands has turned orange because of Queen's Day! Everyone is celebrating, drinking and probably having a good time with each other...

I'm enjoying my 4th day of getting sober, at home.

- Drexo
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Fantastic start Dexo, its only going to get better as well.

Theres few decisions you take in life that truly take your life in a different and wonderful new direction and this is one of them

Keep it going.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations Drexo - so happy you are hear and that you make the decision to live a sober life. It is so worth it.

Like, you I just woke up one morning and decided to quit... and there was a lot of alcohol in the house. Something inside me said "I'm done with this crap".
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you both Opeth & IWBWI!

-

Today is my 5th day without alcohol and everything is going very well so far, only a bit fatique physically. I'm curious how my mental state will change over time and I really want to know the sober me.
I already noticed some sort of productiveness: I played the piano today, which I didn't do for quite a long time. Very enjoyable and I was somewhat suprised by my memory, still knowing some bigger piano pieces.

Have a good sober day everyone.

- Drexo
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great job Drexo! Keep up the good work and enjoy rediscovering things like your Piano.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Drexo, I'm so happy that you've had this epiphany at a young age and that the people around you, including your parents and close friends, are so supportive. It's good that you can be open about your problem and get help right away. I hope you'll keep posting and let us know how you're doing. Best wishes.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to add my support and congratulations on day 5! I felt really tired for a few months after getting sober - it's not uncommon at all. Just take things as they come and don't push yourself too hard. It's a healing process and you'll find that in time your energy level will be better than ever.

Welcome to the forum - Stay strong!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 5 and beyond, things just got better and better for me. I could think clearly, my energy levels went up and I slept solidly. I also got my appetite back and love for cooking. It's onwards and upwards for you! Congrats on 5 days!

Oh..and I kept smiling to myself. I didn't deliberately think myself into it, it just kept coming from nowhere. I'm still doing it

Last edited by newwings; 05-01-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: postscript
Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and motivation again everyone! Gives a good feeling.

-

Today is my 6th day and I feel a lot better, both mentally and physically! It feels great. I didn't experience real cravings yet, but I have to stay vigilant. Still motivated to quit and soberrecovery is already a big part of it. I have my appointment this week and I really want a sponsor. I'm also looking for AA meetings, but here in The Netherlands there aren't many unfortunately.
I'm also motivated to visit a gym again. I did that a couple of years ago and I think it might be a good activity to fill up some free time.

Have a good sober day everyone!

- Drexo
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Day 7!

Didn't get much sleep last night, but despite that I felt very positive both mentally and physically. Went out to visit a friend and when I arrived at his home I experienced my first real cravings. Normally, we would atleast drink a few beers together, so I guess that's why the cravings came up. He is one of my friends that now knows about my drinking problem, so I told him I had cravings and he was very supportive. I've accepted the cravings for what it was and after 10 minutes the cravings were gone.

He doesn't have a drinking problem and I told him he could take a beer, if he wanted too. He chose not to, for me. After that he started to talk about his own mental problems, which was a kinda suprise for me, since he has a strong personality and state of mind. I tried to help him with his problems and we spoke for a few hours... At the end we both helped each other with our problems and felt happy afterwards.

Have a good sober day everyone!

- Drex
Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

13th day sober today.

A lot of moodswings the last couple of days and I think my real emotions starting to come back in me. Going for a walk each day, trying to get some serenity in my mind, but it hasn't happened yet. I guess this is all part of recovery and I have to stay focussed on sobriety.

- Drex
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on 13 days - that's great!! I had those down days too, and they usually only lasted a day or two but of course it seemed like forever at the time because I knew I couldn't drink to get rid of them.

It's definitely a part of the process, the brain and body resetting itself. It gets better......
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you artsoul and your comment definitely helped me the last 2 days. I'm entering day 16 today and I finally start to feel better emotionally... It were only a few down days, but it indeed seemed like forever, bleh.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 16 days, Drexo! Isn't it amazing that once we share with friends, all sorts of things come up and they can admit to having problems, too? You'd probably never had had that conversation with your friend if you both had cracked open the beer together.

Glad you are doing well. I'm still having 'off' days where I am grumpier than usual. It's still strange for me to experience them sober..before, I used to drink my bad moods away (or at least I thought I was..). Now I have to FEEL them. It's good, they pass quicker. I'd forgotten that if I drank when in a bad mood, I would stay in a bad mood for the rest of the night - and probably wake up in a bad mood as well due to another hangover. So pleased to be free of all that!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It's still early in the day, but today will be my 3 weeks sober... Feeling good.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Congrats Drexo, That's simply brilliant!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 23,

The last couple of days have been great. Couldn't imagine sobriety would give me these feelings of thankfulness and serenity in an early stage, but it's there!

One day at a time.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

That is awesome !!!

That's very similar to how I felt when I actually took the 3rd step and I literally FELT the release.... Prior to that I was just going through the motions...

Congrats on the decision and the willingness to come clean with those you love. For me, that was huge in giving me accountability.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Way to go, Drexo! It gets better and better!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for keeping us updated ...well done on your sober progress...