Notices

New Here-My Sordid/Retched Drink Story

Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here-My Sordid/Retched Drink Story

I just joined this forum yesterday because I am an addict, period. I am one of those people that if bunny farts could get me high, I'd be up a rabbit's a** all day. I was/am an alcoholic, first and foremost. So anyway, alcholism was on my Dad's side of the family and I inherited that gene. Started drinking beer with pals around 15 yrs old and by the time I hit 16, I was experiencing shakes, severe hangovers, then the blackouts. I subsequently went to a detox in 1982 and remained sober till the year 2003. Me and my boyfriend had broken up and I moved out of the house we shared and that's when I relapsed. It IS TRUE that alcoholism is definitely a "progressive disease" in that I pretty picked up when I'd left off so many years ago. In June 2003, I got home from work with a 4 pack of wine (little bottles), drank about 2 1/2 of them, blacked out and while in that blackout, I actually picked up my keys and drove...and I got into a major accident. The only person injured was me, I thank God for that (the guilt was unbearable). And yes, I was later charged with a DWI and had probation, fines, fees, community service AND the blow & go device put in my car (that's pretty embarrassing). I was not a mellow drunk; I would become either extremely depressed or violent.
As far as anyone questioning whether they have a problem with alcohol, if you're here on this board, then you probably answered your own question. I've said it many times on here and I gotta say it again: Alcoholism is a medical disease, not a moral one, and should be treated, the same way a person who is diagnosed with cancer. Alcoholism is an equal-opportunity misery. It doesn't distinguish the poor from the wealthy, the lawyer from the butcher, etc. I don't wanna preach to the choir here. I just wanted to toss my story into the fray. I was never able to drink socially. I always drank to the point of oblivion---sick, right? But when I learned about the disease way back when (my Dad was sober the last 10 yrs of his life, he passed in 1979 when I was 14). I still have his AA book which was in its 2nd edition (all of the stories in it are from the original AA members back in 1935).
I learned one real important thing from a man named Father Martin (I have to google him sometime-he worked with alcoholics extensively and gave the very best lectures on this subject): He simply said that if drinking causes problems, then it is a problem. Get rid of the drinking and the problems will cease; keep it going and the problems escalate (lose your job/your family/your friends/house/car/freedom). Sigh....sorry for the long post; I could really go on about my horrors but there's only so much space in cyberspace!
If you feel AA might not be for you, so be it. Then stick with this board. It's been working for me!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

thanks for sharing part of your story with us...
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post, I'm a problem drinker, I've tried unsuccesfully to quit over the years I've been drinking since I was 14, I'm now married with 2 kids and trying to keep it out of my life again. It's affecting my marriage and I don't like it, I don't want to hurt my wife or my kids because of my selfishness and my inability to control my drinking. I've finally decided to go to AA or do whatever it takes to solve this problem once and for all.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you both

D
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck brother.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Has anybody tried antabuse on here, and can you get a prescription at an Urgent Care for it? If it works, I'm willing to do it. I've got to do something, or I'm going to lose everything and then I really will have a reason to drink myself into oblivion.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rhapsody,

Rather than just zeroing in on Antabuse, why not go to your doctor, level with him / her about how much you're drinking, and see what they say? If you're that concerned, you probably need to quit, and it's very difficult to do alone. You may or may not need some prescription help depending on how advanced your addiction is. And it's a great idea to get into some kind of counselling and / or AA.

Stopping is only half the battle. The other half is not starting up again. Many people have been able to tough out the withdrawal symptoms and get dry (although this can be dangerous), but they are in great danger of starting again if they don't figure out why they're drinking in the first place. Many of us found that the answer was much simpler than we thought.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Antabuse-No Way

After rehab, I took that stuff. All it does is make you deathly ill if you drink with it in your system-I really don't think that's good for your body! I remember it also left a distinct metallic taste in my mouth.
The best answer is medical help if you have access to it. The next best thing is to stick with SR.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome...