Notices

Hit bottom and hanging out there....

Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm glad your feeling better, I had similar experiences falling asleep after I quit drinking. I kind of figured I need to learn how to put myself back to sleep again since my body was so use to just passing out. It got better with time for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Originally Posted by IrishEyes88 View Post
Ok. Day 2 and feeling a lot better than yesterday.

Last night I had some initial trouble falling asleep but then got some quality rest. A strange thing happens to me when I go to sleep sober. Does this happen to anyone else?

I'll be like 98% asleep...like as close to asleep as one can get, and I'll just snap into full alertness. Sometimes my body will twitch or jerk as this happens. This happened about 7 times until I finally slept. I'm sure it's because my usually sedated nerves are going crazy.

I'm going to take it one minute at a time today and tonight. It's one of alcoholism's cruel tricks that when you start feeling so good from NOT drinking, that's when your mind lets it guard down and gives permission to start the madness all over again. I can't fall for that tonight.
Hey Irish,
I'm glad you're feeling a little better. I'm familiar with the 'twitching/jerking' thing you mentioned...I believe they are called 'sleep starts' or something along those lines? I get them sober or drunk (thankfully sober now!), whether its a nap or falling asleep at night. My girlfriend gets them, too. I'm only speculating but I would guess it's happening so frequently because of the lack of alcohol (and thus overstimulated nerves).
And oh, how familiar I am with alcohol telling you it's all good!! Hence why the hardest part is STAYING stopped, not simply stopping.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Irish. I'm sorry,that your going through a hard time still. i totally know how you feel. your not alone. i've been trying to get my life back on track lately. i was just ruining my life, drinking all the time. house a mess. not being the mom that my kids deserve. gaining weight. neglecting myself. feeling like **** all the time. i'm truly trying to pull myself out of it. don't give up. it is hard, it is a lot of work. but you can do it. we can do it. stay strong. hang in there. I've been sober for almost a week now, and i am proud of myself. you can do it to. you will feel so great after even a few days with out drinking. well, the first few days suck, the with drawls, but after that, it only gets better. i'm still struggling with my drinking, but i'm getting support, i'm trying to change. we are all here for you. hang in there. pm, any time if you need some one to talk to. good luck to you.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkfirefly View Post
Hey Irish. I'm sorry,that your going through a hard time still. i totally know how you feel. your not alone. i've been trying to get my life back on track lately. i was just ruining my life, drinking all the time. house a mess. not being the mom that my kids deserve. gaining weight. neglecting myself. feeling like **** all the time. i'm truly trying to pull myself out of it. don't give up. it is hard, it is a lot of work. but you can do it. we can do it. stay strong. hang in there. I've been sober for almost a week now, and i am proud of myself. you can do it to. you will feel so great after even a few days with out drinking. well, the first few days suck, the with drawls, but after that, it only gets better. i'm still struggling with my drinking, but i'm getting support, i'm trying to change. we are all here for you. hang in there. pm, any time if you need some one to talk to. good luck to you.
Good for you, Pink! Almost a week is great... I forget if you said or not, but does your husband drink? Mine does and that makes it harder. He, himself is a trigger for me. He can control it a heck of a lot better than I can though. Luckily, he works at night now.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

no. my husband does not drink at all. and he always gets mad at me when i drink. he hates my drinking.