Notices

12 days sober today.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days sober today.

Hi,

Today marks my 12th day sober, It is the longest I have gone for 25 years without an alcoholic drink. I went 11 days last year and have drunk harder since then then I ever have.

I'm hoping to see some positive changes soon because as yet going straight cold turkey i feel exactly the same each morning when i wake up, I still have zero motervation to do anything, I have even less energy than usual dispite huge dietary changes and drinking gallons of water, In fact I worked out that i was consuming 8000 calories a week just in alcohol however i havnt lost an y weight, this astounds me. The cloud of depression I had hoped would evaporate is still hanging large. I am a hermit at the moment afraid to confront the world without my usual cloak of intoxification.

One the plus side, Not having the usual monday lost day in bed due to a major league weekend binge is a plus, as is the $150 or so ive saved in cash.

It had to be done and now the cravings are gone I feel as if the road ahead is clear, but its not the path of a new life of living health wonder i thought it would turn out to be....

Thasnks for reading this ramble, Its 4:44 am here and i just had to put something down somewhere to take my mind of it all.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Time....it took me time to heal
I too had been a long term drinker

Glad you are doing wha is in your best interest
welcome to our recovery community.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Welcome! Stick around... there's lots of good people and help around here.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! it only gets better. I'm around day 40 or so and can't believe the difference, still tired but feel happier than I have in a long time.
This place is a great support for me, something special happens when we share our experiences
Old 04-25-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there. It's different for everyone, but it seems like it's not uncommon for it to take time to start feeling grounded and content. Even if it takes a few weeks or even months, that's a pretty good deal when you spent as many years drinking as we did...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Right around 11 days was hard for me because I started to have the same doubts, but it does get better. You'll start to lose weight (as long as you control your diet) and that hangover feeling will go away.

Just hang in there, and 11 days is a great start.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Hi Opeth! Glad you're here...do you have a plan for staying sober? I tried (and succeeded) so many times to stop, and I did...just couldn't stay that way! Going to AA meetings has helped tremendously for me...have you tried them out?
With respect to the expected weight loss, alcohol causes a tremendous amount of water retention; give it a little more time and i'm sure you'll see some changes!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Congrats on 11 days! Sounds to me like a great beginning and you're reaching out for support on SR which is helpful. I would also suggest AA or some other in person support if you keep feeling like this. Best of luck
Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Opeth! Took me a few weeks to feel human again. Of course everyone is different. Hang in there it DOES get better!

Best Wishes To You! :ghug3
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thankyou for the kind welcomes.

Got through the day without a hitch, so onwards into Day 13. Just one day at a time is right.

My Family are still in a bit of a state of shock but they are starting to believe that i'm actually serious about this.

I'm not quite ready to attend an AA meeting yet, I am just focusing on all the ways that I believe life will improve clear of the poisoning that i've done to my body, and it seems to be enough for now... The cravings were hardcore for the first week but have subsided quite dramitically since. The overwelming "need" to drink is not there and I cannot remember feeling like this in my Adult life.

Onwards!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - glad you decided to join up with us! I found that things got a little better each day in one way or another, mixed in with a bad day here or there. I had no energy or motivation for almost 3 months, but like I said I did notice improvements during that time. (Insomnia was a real drag the first week or two as well). At 4 months I felt really really good, and looked ten years younger, too.

I think the longer and harder we drank, the more time it takes to recover..... Our brains have to readjust as well as every other organ in our body. It can take up to a year or more.

Congrats on your 13 days - that's an awesome start!!!:ghug3
Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great one, Opeth!! Stick around, I'd love to see how you are getting on. Day 8 for me, so I'm looking to you for inspiration. I thought I would feel fantastic immediately, but I did feel curiously hungover and icky for a while. That surprised me a bit, but then I realized I was detoxing. And no one looks fab whilst detoxing....

I think I was expecting to instantly look like I'd been to a cosmetic surgeon for a facelift (or a good spa day, at the very least!!) and was constantly looking myself in the mirror to see improvement. I can, already - but tiny things, like no puffy eye bags, and my fingers don't swell up. I also have the appetite of a 200 lb man (I'm a 140 lb woman!) ...so no weight loss yet. But it's not going to happen overnight, I'm learning that.

Congrats on 12 days!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today marks 14 days thats two weeks!

I went and played for my darts team last night and it was ok, you would think going into a pub as an alcoholic would be akin to giving a suicidal person a loaded gun, but it was the same as last week I just drank lemonade and blackcurrant and felt ok.

People have been asking me how long i intend to keep it going, I'm not looking at doing some 30 day thing just to return to the hell ive just left I truly mean this to be the complete cessation of all alcohol for good. A very grandiose statement after two weeks I know, but you have to define the goal to acheive it!

I know that i cannot drink in moderation ive proved that to myself a hundred times i cannot have a drop of alcohol in the house and not devour it. I always envied people with liquer cabinets it always seemed strange to me how they managed not to just plough through the lot.

Ive noticed im a bit edgy around crowds at the moment Ive never noticed it before but a bit of anxiety has crept in, it was the same when I was in the supermarket the other day and when at a sports stadium. I'm hoping that too shall pass.

Ive also rediscovered drinking tea, I have been trying some quite exotic blends and although some of them are totally foul its been fun. The other thing that stuck me today as well is how tidy everything is in my house. Normally its like a tornado went though the place but without the constant drunken haze i seem to be keeping on top of that department a million times better.

Well thats the update. Thanks again for reading these rambling thoughts typed as they hit me lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newwings View Post
Day 8 for me,
Great job. that first week is an absolute killer
Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Re:12 days sober today.

Congrats...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats, Opeth. IT took me a few months to start feeling human again. I actually gained weight for a few months, but then it came off and stabilised. Who knows hom much healing our bodies, livers etc need to do? When I look around the rooms of AA, there are actually very few older sober members who have a significant weight problem. Someone suggested it might be because the program actually brings emotional sobriety, so we are able to care for ourselves appropriately and not pick up other addictions.

I encourage you to go to a meeting as soon as you can. The kindness of strangers in AA meetings helped me to get sober and has improved my life out of this world.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow...reading these posts has really helped me out. I'm in the middle of day 6 and I'm feeling really tired, no energy and anxiety has creeped up. I'm doing all that opeth has said been drinking heaps of water, eating plenty fruit and veg and even gone on a walk each day which gets me out of the house and into the fresh air which is great. I've seen slight changes in my facial appearance which has been very reassuring.
I can feel that my body is reacting to all the booze I've filled it with in the last 13 years and trying to cleanse it. This will all take time.......one day at a time.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Entering Day 15.

Today was fine as I was very active had to go to the post office which is miles away so thought id walk it as its baking sunshine outside. Busy all day tommorow so that shouldn't be an issue.

Its a seciond bank holiday weekend in quick succesion now and the whole Royal Wedding malarky and I find myself turning down alot of social invitations at the moment, Its an irrational fear of how i will be perceived as not drinking. Normally I couldn't give two monkeys how people see me so I don't know why i should now. Anyhow i'm avoiding them for now to err on the side on caution.

I did some quit alcohol hypnosis tape last night although I don't remember alot of it as I feel asleep half way through it, it was too relaxing lol.

Good job on 6 days checkmate1 I feel better mentally than i did this time last week if not physically! See how your eyes look mine are brighter even family have started noticing.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Entering day 16.

Today was a battle inside my mind, my inner voice was telling me i could probably handle a glass of wine with my evening meal, It was telling me this all day as I was at an ice show and there was long gaps between competitors that were quite boring so lots of time to think and inwardly reflect.

I resisted the urge that was purely mental and not a physical craving at all. I have established that alot of my drinking at home was due to two factors 1) Boredom and 2) a misguided notion that it made me more creative. I make electronic music at home and rarely did that without a can of Lager to hand, Ive found i've completely stopped making music as doing it without the usual drink just seems wierd.

Its these little habits that need to be broken. I listened to another day of the Alcoholic recovery hypnosis CD program thing, and again I dont recall alot of it as it sent me to sleep. Its grest for that if nothing else.

So its onwards into the weekend, I will stay strong tomorrow, get out in the fresh air and stay active and chalk up another day of sober recovery
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Opeth when I was drinking I found that alot of the time I did it was because i was bored also. I think getting out in the fresh air and taking a walk at a local park everyday helps clear your head and it makes me stop thinking inwardly and about myself all the time and it's also great as your exercising at the same time. Also since your a musician get out your music and start listening to your favourite bands or DJ's... it inspires me everyday.

When I'm feeling down I just think of all the positives I'm making to my life. I'm saving money, no hangovers that stop me functioning all together, that I will look better physically and not look so bloated and fat, that I respect myself more when sober and so do my family. All these things I keep in mind and it reminds me of how horrible the way I was living and abusing my body. I hate what alcohol has done to me and I'm making a change for the better.

Keep at it Opeth I reckon your doing well.