Notices

Changes

Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
Ethos23, I do not miss your message. But for he alcoholic who is staying sober, who knows that to take a drink could be fatal, you bet I take my sobriety seriously. To say I am sober for x amount of days and not count the slip is just not right.
It's just not right...in your opinion or your program. It's not your place to judge someone else recovery. He didn't question how serious you take your sobriety, he stated that he has been in recovery for 33 days, and he had a 1 episode slip. His statement doesn't affect your sobriety, and it's not a contest, so let Ethos worry about his sober time.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can relate to the wallet being fatter, I estimate ive saved around $150 in just under two weeks, couple of months like that and I can buy a MacBook Pro lol.

The only physical change ive seen so far is that my eyes look brighter, I looked in the mirror a couple of weeks ago and the person staring back the eyes just looked dull and lifeless it was one of the main contributing factors for my ongoing attempt at getting sober.

Im hoping to lose weight but it hasn't happened so far!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
I noticed that a few of the posts on this thread have gotten a bit off track from the original question I posed. I certainly understand the need to take sobriety seriously, but I think the more important thing is to focus on your "wins" rather than your "losses." Sure, you could tally up the days at the end of the year and say, I allowed myself to drink X number of days. What is truly important is the fact that we learn from our mistakes. If we do, we are moving in the right direction and at the end of the day our wins wil far outnumber our losses. If I simply restarted the clock, I would personally feel that the previous sober-days were somehow gone. That is one thing that got me to where I was when I decided to quit. I focused on the negative. The negative needs to be focused on long enough for us to learn from it, and thats all.

I know that when I posted about my slip-up, there was some degree of concern as to whether we, as humans, have the abilty to simply slip up. I know that certain academics take the position that there is no such thing as a slip up. I think that makes as much sense as certain theories in finance/economics, where we say that X holds true, ceteris paribus, which is the latin for "all else being equal."

Sorry for my rant. I am of the mind that given real world conditions, yes, a mistake can take place. If none of us made mistakes in our recovery, these forums would not exist and recovery would be a piece of cake. When a mistake does occur, we need to take advantage of it because it is is a source where we can gain a great degree of knowledge about ourselves.

If I never wanted to make a mistake in my recovery, I would have never vowed to get sober.
Completely understand your logic and the idea of focusing on the positive.

What I was trying to share is my experience with the subtlety of alcoholic thinking. As I've shared on here before, I drank mouthwash because it allowed me to think that I hadn't relapsed since it wasn't store-bought alcohol. Then I read that mouthwash is bad for you, so I switched over to store-bought alcohol, for my health.

I've learned, since recovering, that I was completely insane in matters to do with alcohol. I was unable to distinguish the true from the false.

It's not about day counts, it's about getting better. And we owe it to each other to share our experiences-- good and bad-- so that maybe some of us don't have to repeat the same insanity.

You've certainly handled the questioning on here with patience and good-naturedness, so thank you.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'll say what I want supercrew
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
I'll say what I want supercrew
And that's fine, but the bit of information that someone felt necessary to judge wasn't even pertinent to the original post. The post was about positive changes in sobriety. Hopefully some of the positive changes some of us will see in the future will have to do with being less judgemental and less resentful for no real reason.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I about to leave rehab, I on day 21 sober and 7 days without cigarettes. Changes I have noticed:

-My face is a nicer shape
-My eyes are clearer
-I am calmer
-I have more energy
-More money in my wallet, though that may change once I'm home, not much shopping opportunities in rehab
-I am thinking of others more
-I am happy
-My circulation has improved
-My skin is much better

Sobriety rocks!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Congratulations, and look forward to your having more time to share what you've learned!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Re:Changes

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I feel stronger, my memory is coming back, my eyes are clear, my face isn't swollen, I feel rested, I don't shake anymore, I'm a better father and husband, my back doesn't hurt, I've dropped a few pounds and I just feel a overall since of calm. It's great I'm so glad I made the choice to quit.
Amen...