Notices

Hopefully this is my bottom

Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hopefully this is my bottom

I have been around these boards for awhile now. I go back and forth with quitting and drinking. Go to couple meetings then quit going. Yesterday I blew off Easter dinner with my family to drink. I barely made it to chuch and only stayed for about 20 minutes. I feel horrible that I disappointed my parents. I don't even want to face them. I reached out to a friend from the program who said her sponsor who I've met will be willing to be my temp sponsor. Ive had worse things happen to me drinking like falling down steps drunk and breaking my ankle. You think that would have done it. I hope yesterday was it for me. I've never, ever missed an important family event but damn if I wasn't at the bar yesterday morning starting my day of drinking. I feel like a waste.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For many folks, it doesn't take "hitting bottom" to realize that it is time to stop. For some, rock bottom is too late. All it took for me, after years of denying I had a problem, was that ONE moment of clarity, of crystal clear proof that I had a problem with alcohol that was quickly plummeting down that slippery slope of alcoholism. And stop I did, before I could convince myself that I was making a big deal out of nothing. It took stopping and working on my recovery to see that I should have stopped years before.

You've had years to think about it. This could be your moment.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Belle don't quit quitting one day the program will broadside you and you'll finally get it and WANT to give it up. This may be the time or it may not be. Only you can choose. Best of luck to you and keep coming back! xoxoxo
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I began my AA Steps I felt a shift
from shakey sobriety into solid recovery...:yup;

I sure hope that will be true for you too
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Belle, you know that you don't have to go further down. You don't have to go through feeling like this again.

We are here for you!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I know some alcoholics that quit drinking when they hit a bottom. I know others that quit before their bottom and others that kept drinking after multiple bottoms. For me bottoms never mattered. I needed to quit drinking bottom or not. Practicing new behaviors is what is keeping me sober today. Regardless of any past or present circumstances, staying sober is a number one priority these days for me. Make the necessary changes in your life and continued sobriety will be yours too. Keep seeking the good life...sober
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've wanted to quit for quite a while, but truthfully I guess I never wanted it bad enough to do the work (get a sponsor, work the steps, stop hanging around drinkers etc) but today I can honestly say I feel so bad that I am willing to do what it takes so I never have to feel this way again or disapoint myself or my family again. I feel very low today
Old 04-26-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Hi belle. How are you feeling today? I can definately relate with the blowing off family thing...i've blown off numerous special occasions to get plastered, often by myself, for (seemingly) absolutely no reason. You don't have to do that any more if you don't want to! I'm glad you reached out for help...there's a ton of it out there!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Sounds to me like you are facing a "seize the moment" situation...hope you can turn this negative experience into a positive one...recovery. And there's lots of support here to get you started...best of luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I called my temp sponsor yesterday and we talked. This is a big step for me. I called my parents and apologized. I've got to stick with the program this time. Work the program. I've got an appt with an addictions counselor next week. I still feel like a black cloud is hanging over my head, but I know I'm taking the right steps to get better
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Maybe bottoms are over-rated. The importance of bottoms had to be addressed in the big book and revised: a new generation of alcoholics who hadn't lost everything and did not end up on the street were there to be acknowledged.
I hear AA speakers everyday who describe horrific and dramatic bottoms. But for me, bottom was losing the ability to write because my hands were shaking so much.
Not dramatic or even a big event, but it compromised me.
Maybe being compromised was enough.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Originally Posted by belle08 View Post
I called my temp sponsor yesterday and we talked. This is a big step for me. I called my parents and apologized. I've got to stick with the program this time. Work the program. I've got an appt with an addictions counselor next week. I still feel like a black cloud is hanging over my head, but I know I'm taking the right steps to get better
This is great! Keep up the momentum...we're rooting for you