Notices

You Think Too Much

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

You Think Too Much

I used to believe that thinking was the sign of intellect--The Thinking Man works at solving the world's problems; The Thinking Man engineers a better life; The Thinking Man defines progress.

When I was in my cups I thought quite highly of myself--or quite lowly. No in-betweens. Egomaniac with an inferiority complex. People close to me used to say, "You think too much," and we'd laugh-they out of pity, myself out of contempt.

In, "The Spirituality of Imperfection," the authors illustrated an alcoholic brainstorm as the drunk professing to be capable of solving the issues that plagued the world today if he could only break his grip on the toilet and get up from the pool of his own fluids.

I understand that today. Since coming into the rooms of recovery I've learned to turn off the 'news' which isn't really news; I don't pay much attention to 'causes' anymore; and I stopped wringing my hands at the 'injustice' of Man. I started focusing on the one-on-one relationships in my life by allowing myself to accept that MY Higher Power might just be putting those people in my life to help me grow, not to cause me anguish or judgment. I started to practice the principles of sobriety I was taught in The Twelve Steps and started putting the 'actions' to work in people, places and things in my life rather than clenching my fists at every issue and plight screamed at my by special interests.

Yesterday was an AA birthday for me. I've changed. I don't get sucked up in the 'stinkin' thinkin'' so much anymore. Today I can do anything, I just can't do everything. And if I do something, my God will do His thing.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My experience is different, because thinking does not equal drinking. If I didn't use my brain I would still be drinking. Research, knowledge, maturity, and action is what has helped me solve my problem with alcohol.

You shouldn't be afraid of your brain, you just need to use it for good and not evil.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by skg View Post

...I've changed. I don't get sucked up in the 'stinkin' thinkin'' so much anymore. Today I can do anything, I just can't do everything. And if I do something, my God will do His thing.
I have gone full circle with this "stinkin thinkin" business. I don't belive anyone can get through step 3 with thinkin. But then again, I don't believe anyone can get through step 11 without it.