Notices

higher power?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

higher power?

I'm not sure but I was under the impression that accepting a higher power in AA is something they generally do in America, I've not heard of that in the U.K, but then I've never been to AA.

I am an atheist myself so I can't be doing with all that God talk.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe you'll find it in UK AA too - it's a fundamental cornerstone of the 12 steps.

I know many atheists in AA.

We've had a lot of threads on this lately.

Rather than relying on other peoples opinion and vague impressions of your own, why don't you go to a meeting and make up your own mind, HS?

D
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do hope you will check out your local AA meetings ...
You can just go to listen....it certainly won't hurt..
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The spiritual experience is a central tenant of AA regardless of where you are. 'God' can refer to an 'untapped inner resource' - check out Appendix 2 in the Big Book. It's a term used to reference a spiritual experience, not a religion.

I was so desperate to get sober, I was more than willing to pray to a 'God of my own understanding' as encouraged by other AA members. No one told me what 'God' was or expected me to have a Christian or religious understanding.

The Big Book also refers to 'God' as a 'spirit of the universe' among other things.

Don't let the god thing stand in the way of getting sober. You'll work it out to your own satisfaction in due course.

I have heard that some meetings in the US close with the Lord's Prayer and I have to admit that might have turned me off, as I am not a Christian.

Every meeting I have been to closes with the Serenity Prayer addressed to a 'God of your own understanding'.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well actually ,I'm probably not atheist as I do have a tendency to believe that our souls become one when we die in a dimension that is infinite and there is no such thing as time there.

But I'm not religious, I mean I think life is God not God as a seperate entity that created us...

Ok that's enough...this is a bit deep.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

hendrixstrat, nothing you have said is in conflict with he AA program. If you are interested in how others have been able to find a non-theist path to sobriety with the help of the 12 steps, check out the Secular 12 Step forum here on SR.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be put off going to AA for any reason like this anyway...

AA is probably good for an alcoholic no matter what you believe.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hendrixstrat View Post

I do... believe that our souls become one when we die in a dimension that is infinite...
Yea, that works for me... I could have said the same thing... If you decide to look at AA's program of recovery, you have the awesome opportunity to find something that is consistent with your understanding... to bring that power into your life, while you are here on the finite earth!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

spirituality is not the same as religion
Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just go. Forget what you hear and get first hand insight.
My "higher power" was Allen Carr. I was accepted with open arms.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I finally came to the conclusion that own conscience is my higher power. If there is a God, I can get my head around him/her/it speaks to me through my conscience. It makes me cringe when I do something wrong and gives me peace of mind when I do something right.
Keeping it as simple as possible is a great help to me. I've found that what I might be analyzing becomes secondary to my obsession too analyze

A good sense of humor and the ability to laugh at yourself is also a great help.

Ron
Old 05-04-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I definitely agree that spirituality isn't the same thing as organized religion.

Finding my spiritual self again is the only thing that saved my life.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, I find a lot of people use not being religious as an excuse to avoid AA. I am an atheist, there are plenty of agnostic/atheist-themed meetings, and your higher power can be whatever helps you. Some people use the collective power of their AA fellows as their higher power. Personally, my HP is a concept of connectedness with the world and the people around me that I have found a way to visualize (like a big net, with me inthe middle, all the people who support me holding up the edges).

Your beliefs about religion/god won't be a barrier to you using AA to get sober, unless you want them to be.

GG