Notices

26th OCAA Convention

Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober 6/5/2008

Thumbs up 26th OCAA Convention

Yesterday I went to the 26th OCAA (Orange County AA) Convention in Costa Mesa. It was my second convention. I really enjoyed it. I went with my sponsor and his wife, an Alanon.

We got there around three, registered, and went to a number of marathon meetings, both AA, Alanon, and an Alateen. The latter was my first experience with that organization. At first I couldn't relate: teens often seem so obsessed with social dynamics. But then one girl shared about her experiences having an alcoholic mother. Having been raised by an alcoholic father, I could certainly relate.

The AA meetings were good, pretty much like regular AA meetings, except in a fancier setting with a larger crowd. I heard lots of good stuff.

As we wandered around from meeting to meeting, I saw many familiar faces, including people I'd known at meetings but hadn't seen in a while. I was happy to see they were still sober.

We watched the banquet speaker share in an overflow room over a video feed. That was kind of neat. Different. Good speaker.

They were out of this year's convention t-shirts, so I picked up one from last year for $5. My first AA t-shirt.

I enjoyed myself. In some ways this convention experience was very like my first one in my first year of sobriety. In others it was different. I know more people in AA now and shook the hands of many more people who are familiar to me this year.

I think I'll try to make more of an effort to go next year and not let it slide like I did last year. It was only $20 to register and it was fun. If you haven't been to an AA convention, I recommend it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re:26th OCAA Convention

Originally Posted by fulminouscherub View Post
Yesterday I went to the 26th OCAA (Orange County AA) Convention in Costa Mesa. It was my second convention. I really enjoyed it. I went with my sponsor and his wife, an Alanon.

We got there around three, registered, and went to a number of marathon meetings, both AA, Alanon, and an Alateen. The latter was my first experience with that organization. At first I couldn't relate: teens often seem so obsessed with social dynamics. But then one girl shared about her experiences having an alcoholic mother. Having been raised by an alcoholic father, I could certainly relate.

The AA meetings were good, pretty much like regular AA meetings, except in a fancier setting with a larger crowd. I heard lots of good stuff.

As we wandered around from meeting to meeting, I saw many familiar faces, including people I'd known at meetings but hadn't seen in a while. I was happy to see they were still sober.

We watched the banquet speaker share in an overflow room over a video feed. That was kind of neat. Different. Good speaker.

They were out of this year's convention t-shirts, so I picked up one from last year for $5. My first AA t-shirt.

I enjoyed myself. In some ways this convention experience was very like my first one in my first year of sobriety. In others it was different. I know more people in AA now and shook the hands of many more people who are familiar to me this year.

I think I'll try to make more of an effort to go next year and not let it slide like I did last year. It was only $20 to register and it was fun. If you haven't been to an AA convention, I recommend it.
Sounds like fun...I'm glad you had a good time. Just another blessing afforded to recovering alcoholics -one day at a time.

~God bless~
Old 04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

yes....cnventions are really interesting ...glad you went
and shared here with us.....

The International ..held every 5 years...will be in
Atlanta Ga. in 2015.
Those too are an awesome experience,