Notices

My upcoming 'test' no longer feels that daunting

Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My upcoming 'test' no longer feels that daunting

I've been doing very well with my recovery in that I don't want to drink anymore. But I'll be having my baby soon and had a fear in the back of my mind that all the urges would come back.

But I really don't think they will. I know the last time I was pregnant I spent 9 months rationalizing how I'd be able to magically moderate. But this time I have no thoughts of moderation at all. I really don't want to drink ever again. Even if someone told me I could take a pill and I'd never want more than 2 drinks... they can keep it. They can shove it

I still read here every day. I don't ever want to forget.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I mean - I don't think the urges will come back as a function of delivering the baby I'm sure I'll have another urge to drink in my life.... I am an alcoholic after all.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Having those kinds of thoughts seems normal to me. I wonder what it will be like in a few years when my recovery doesn't seem so "urgent." Will I find myself drinking again? It's happened before.......

In a way, though, knowing that I went back to drinking after being sober for a while is helping me stay motivated. I think you're working hard and you're going to do fine! Just having that little bit of doubt/fear will keep you on your toes (as will that new baby!)

Great post!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I've been doing very well with my recovery in that I don't want to drink anymore. But I'll be having my baby soon and had a fear in the back of my mind that all the urges would come back.

But I really don't think they will. I know the last time I was pregnant I spent 9 months rationalizing how I'd be able to magically moderate. But this time I have no thoughts of moderation at all. I really don't want to drink ever again. Even if someone told me I could take a pill and I'd never want more than 2 drinks... they can keep it. They can shove it

that's an awsome attitude to have. Congrats on the baby...they're the most wonderful little miracles in the world.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post

Forgetting is one thing and not drinking is another. The urge to drink might overwhelm us from time to time, but lasting sobriety is forever. Keep reading dear and enjoy motherhood...what a wonderful blessing they both are.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I got sober a few months before I found out I was pregnant with my son (now 17 months old!), and wondered about that too.. I mean he was a pretty darn good reason to stay sober, of course, while pregnant. Well, like I said, he's 17 months old and I have yet to have an urge to drink. I'm too darn happy.. and busy.. and I busted my butt working on my recovery.

Congrats to you, stay in close touch with your recovery tools, and with us. It's such a blessed time, I promise you'll never regret not drinking
Old 04-23-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers coming your way for a healthy baby
and an easy birth......