Notices

Taking anti-depressant, is this truly "sober"?

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

If you're tasking it under a doctor's supervision,and that doctor knows about your alcoholism, there's no reason to stop taking the medication until you feel you're ready. Taking Zoloft in no way compromises your sobriety any more than taking a pain medication after major surgery would. It's like anything - if you take it as prescribed for a valid medical condition, and are not abusing the medication, you're fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

If I didn't drink and didn't take meds for depression, I would probably stop getting out of bed then eventually commit suicide. Maybe I'd be dead but at least I'd be sober!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
You all are missing the point, I didn't say that they weren't good in treating people.. The question posed is, is one SOBER? And they are not.

PERIOD.

In california marijuana is legal.. And is prescribed for numerous ailments.. And works for people..

Is that person sober? No.

A person with anxiety, takes 4 mg of xanax a day.. It helps with their anxiety (simular to drinking).. Are they sober? No.

And for those of you that have flamed on me, for MY opinion.. Relax please.
What exactly was the point of your thread? To insult those that you consider not sober because they take lifesaving meds? Or to justify your prejudices against them? Or maybe to try and get people to stop taking these types of meds? I do not see any point to starting this thread other than that. Why else would you get so defensive when the majority opinion differs from your own? Again I have to say that the message you are sending is that anyone who takes mental health drugs including a schizophrenic is not sober. This is a very dangerous position to take as it can truly kill people. I for one would be dead from suicide if I did not take my mental health medications because I listened to someone like you.

I for one have been sober more than 10 years. My sobriety from alcohol has nothing to do with my very real medical conditions. I do not ask AA to treat my high blood pressure, my high cholesterol, nor my mental health diseases. AA is for alcoholics not to treat real medical conditions. Aren't there enough prejudices against people with mental health disease without their sobriety being questioned by people who should be focused upon their own recovery not trying to judge someone else's.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Obviously this is an emotive issue and opinions differ.
I'd like to remind everyone tho of rule 4:

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
If we can't have a civil dialogue here, or if we get stuck in a loop, the thread will be closed.
D
Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

My opinion is that threads like this wander right into the realm of asking for and/or giving medical advice. Maybe not directly, but it certainly opens an individual's medical care, repeat, medical care, to scrutiny by people who have absolutely no qualification to offer opinions of any sort on a person's health care.

So, if a person says....

"am I sober if I take an antidepressant under a physician's care"

Isn't that asking for medical advice, or at least an opinion on that individual's health care?

I don't take AD's but know many who have and when used appropriately, they perform well.... And, um, who of us here are qualified to comment on whether anyone's medical care is appropriate?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I was taking 40 mg of celexa for a year and a half and finally finished weening off of it last month and I've never looked back.

Wouldn't wish those things on my worst enemy
Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi everyone....
please consult your doctor about what to take and why.

Posts have been removed and this thread is closed.