Notices

New day a different way.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New day a different way.

Back in early march I decided that I had had enough! I wanted to quit so badly, enough that I made it nineteen days without alcohol. Of course after the 19 days I was feeling like a different version of myself, not exactly better, not any worse. My depression seemed to have faded and that was awesome.
Then I picked up the beer and then one after that and so on and so forth. I've went five days here without, four days there, three days sometimes and mostly just two days between.
During those days in between drinking I had that, "I will never drink again" thought more than once but I knew it wasn't true. I read a quote on here that made sense - "One Day At A Time." Seems to work. Today is day number two and I'm still dehydrated from my last drinking episode. Still exhausted from it or the exhaustion could be accumulated from the passed five years of drinking. I realize that something needs to change - maybe even a spiritual awakening of sorts. I realize also now that I cannot do it on my own. I need help with it.
During my first stint with sobriety I went to AA, picked up alcoholism literature and read things that were important and about the "disease." Found soberrecovery.com, (thank God.) Since then I have picked up the Big Book and am reading that, I will go to other AA meetings. This time, I will try my hardest. I'll try my hardest one day at a time.

Thank you all for sticking in there for me, I really appreciate you all coming to this website and taking time to help each other out... that may just be the most important part!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Linz - congrats on day 2!

I had to take things one day at a time, too, because I really couldn't face the idea of never drinking again. Sometimes I had to focus on just getting through the next minute.

I spent years thinking that the next time I drank wouldn't be as bad as the last, or that somehow I'd build up the courage to quit tomorrow or next week, but I finally realized that I'd had those thoughts a million times and nothing had changed. Frothy Jay put it best in one of his posts:
I was unable to cleverly construct how my life was going to be different. I was slammed with the undeniable fact that it was going to be exactly the same.
You know you can do this - you had 19 days...... So if you can go a minute at a time without a drink, you can make it through today. Just think of how you'll feel the next morning........
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there is no timetable on when you will feel 100%, it is different for everyone.

I use the ODAAT too, on some days it just makes my thoughts more clear if I am going backwards..I say to myself, just don't drink tonight...and when I wake up in the morning with a solid sleep in me, feeling well instead of nauseated and a whopping headache, i am SO GLAD...feel kind of renewed and ready to face the day...kind of like a gift i gave myself.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 2 Linz YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 2! I know you can do this, and by reading the big book and making some meetings it sounds like your taking your sobriety more serioulsy this time. I lost some sober time and have had to the same things! I'm right back there with you taking things one day at at time. Just not going to drink TODAY.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome! After my last relapse I swear it took me 3-4 days to feel "normal" again. It was really hard not to pick up a drink during that time just to ease the anxiety, etc. Hang in there, we are here for you.

GG
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are having a fresh start on your sober future
Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you never quit you can never lose Linz.
I really believe that

Good to see you back

D
Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you! Keep it up. Work the program your hardest, as if your life depends on it. It does.

Remember, half measures availed us nothing. You can do this!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Glad to know you are having a fresh start on your sober future
Amen...