Notices

A small relief

Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A small relief

Day one again. Not really news. I do have a little sanctuary though, a relief from my stressful surroundings- by which I mean my scary neighborhood. I get to dog sit and stay at a nice house. It will be so nice to come home to a nice house after work and 2 canines (neurotic doggies but eh, I can relate) and be able to sit in the yard on a nice day. Walking the dogs will be nice also and I get paid as well! I got my tax return and I can buy a new bike now too. It's been years since I've had a decent bike- biking is a real source of happiness for me. I am trying to think of things I can do avoid "isolating" over the summer- as I loathe hot weather and cloudless skies. I was thinking some of the critical mass events would be a good way to be around people. The biking people are a drinking bunch though, it goes hand in hand. I have gone on rides and avoided it in the past, so I am sure it won't be a problem.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleepie, sorry you're at day one again...it stinks. I've been there many times myself! I'm sure you know it gets better, and it sounds like you are taking positive steps. That's awesome about the bike! I've never understood why athletic types drink...but, I've never really understood why anyone would want "just one." Guess that's why I'm here! :-)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sleepie, I have a friend at work who house sits and dog sits for quite a few people. It makes her a tidy sum of money on the side. Maybe it's something you could do, too. Just ask your friends to pass the word around that you are willing to do that. It might surprise you how many people could use your service.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Have a nice time with those doggies, sleepie. Dog sitting is a real big business in Sth Australia.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love biking too, as you might have guessed. Your right the biking group does have a large amount of drinkers in it, but it also has a large amount of people who are very concerned about their health, you just need to seek out the right group!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck sleepster. As far as not isolating, it sounds rather conventional, but have you thought of trying church?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am agnostic at best. I lean toward atheism. No church.

Biking, maybe a movie group or book club- I want to start a book club however I don't even know anyone who'd join. I have one friend, but we don't get to see each other much.

I have SO many bike crushes! It's hard to pick just one. But it will be fun, when I find the right one we'll click- that's how it's been in the past.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post

... The biking people are a drinking bunch though, it goes hand in hand.
Are we talking Harley's or Huffy's?

If it is the Harley crowd that drinks, perhaps you should consider switching to the peddle-pusher kind.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are talking SCHWINN, my friend!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I like the critical bike mass also in Chicago sleepie. They are fun but you are right they are a drinking bunch. I knew some bicycle messengers downtown that would drink all day long.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Schwinn? Be American, buy American, good girl. I like some of the "eurotrash", but too high dollar and high maintenance; whats a couple pounds if you're not racing?

The bikes here look like 1940's Schwinn copies!

Neurotic doggies; aren't they all? Yet sometimes better companions than people!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I love a Schwinn- they started here in my hometown- too bad they're all made in Japan now!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Japan? Why am I not surprised.......... well, they had to pay for the name!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Day one again. Not really news. I do have a little sanctuary though, a relief from my stressful surroundings- by which I mean my scary neighborhood. I get to dog sit and stay at a nice house. It will be so nice to come home to a nice house after work and 2 canines (neurotic doggies but eh, I can relate) and be able to sit in the yard on a nice day. Walking the dogs will be nice also and I get paid as well! I got my tax return and I can buy a new bike now too. It's been years since I've had a decent bike- biking is a real source of happiness for me. I am trying to think of things I can do avoid "isolating" over the summer- as I loathe hot weather and cloudless skies. I was thinking some of the critical mass events would be a good way to be around people. The biking people are a drinking bunch though, it goes hand in hand. I have gone on rides and avoided it in the past, so I am sure it won't be a problem.
Welcome back...sleepie.