Notices

Antabuse/Travelling

Old 04-20-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse/Travelling

Does anyone know if you can use antabuse, only when travelling. For example-going on vacation is a huge trigger for me, so I haven't done much of it, since I quit drinking. I would like to travel, without fear of relapse. Im pretty sure I wouldn't "test" the medication to see if it works. Any thoughts???
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'd need to discuss this with your doctor April.
Are you prescribed antabuse already or are you just thinking aloud?

D
Old 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
skg

It's been my experience that nothing could stand between me and my addictions, including near-death experiences, legal threats, family threats, professional threats, chemical 'fixes,' or any thing/person/place. If I wanted to drink, I was going to drink. I could blame failure on those things between me and my addictions, but I would never blame my solution for dealing with life, although I didn't know that at the time.

I learned that I was going to have to change ME and how I dealt with life on life's terms rather than rely on another tricky fix, another grande idea, another concoction, another pill.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

I know people that have used Antabuse in times like this just as "extra" insurance. One would have to plan ahead and start taking it prior to leaving. I think the earlier guidance to discuss with Doctor is good, but many Dr's know little about it. I had a really great Doc years ago and when finally fed up asked for Antabuse. He didn't really know much about it,but pulled out the PDR and we discussed it. I took it for a while when it seemed I could get nothing else to keep me stopped. It gave me some breathing room and helped me get my feet on the ground. Haven't taken it in many years, but my experience was nothing but positive.