Notices

1-Year Mark

Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkallnight View Post
Well, today is my one year mark. I did this to prove a point to myself that I can go without alcohol for an entire year. I used to be a 2-bottle a day vodka drinker. I now plan to drink in moderation. I know, I know, all the AA-beaters in here that believe that they are doomed-alkie-victims believe it cant be done, but I also never thought I would go a whole year without alcohol.

Im cured!!!!
Wow...You are cured from what? Obviously not alcoholic amnesia. A drink with dinner here, a shot there...where does it end? Hopefully not the morgue. Good luck though.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As my sponsor said to me tonight (yes - I'm an AA'r) - "If broccolli gives you diahrea you'd stop eating it. But Alcohol hurts us and we still crave it."

After reading "Under The Influence" I know what alcohol has become to me. I'm glad this forum isn't about moderation. I wasn't going to be "moderately" dead and wasn't "kinda" arrested.

I've smoked weed now and again... but never had to quit it (until now-as I won't do any drugs even recreationally). Alcohol - sweet, cunning, baffling. It's your life, live how you wish. I'll just have to hit ignore like I've done with so many in real life.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, this post has been SO enlightening.

I think the reactions this topic has elicited can only be understood by someone whose life has been severely damaged by alcohol and who know that they can't even have ONE drink (that of course includes myself).

I know for a fact that if I was still a drinker, my response would be the same as drunkallnight's. It is just impossible to understand the perspective of the responders unless you fully realize the damage alcohol has done and you WANT to quit.

I hope drunkallnight doesn't see any of these responses as hostile. I certainly don't. It's just people who understand the disease very well trying to help. Thanks all.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is the most "alcoholic" post I've seen on here..
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not in a place right now to say much, but it seems your screen name, drunkallnight, shows that maybe getting drunk is in the back of your mind, ya know. I may be completely wrong, but if you have a year under your belt why go back to that right now? I wish you the best whatever you choose to do!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year.

That being said, I don't think you can be cured from alcoholism, it's a lifelong thing. Be careful falling back into the booze. A real alcoholic knows no moderation.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

WOW. Thats all I have to say. I didn't think I would get such a response. I did not mean to come off hostile to those that are in AA. All I mean is it is not for me. I have no ill-will towards those that effectively use AA, nor towards AA itself. I also appreciate all the concern for my choice to return to drinking in moderation. I thought a lot about the choice last night and have decided to give it some more thought.

I wish I had found this place when I decided to quit drinking last year because I think it would have made it much more comfortable for me. I am not one to really share my feelings in public.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Like Supercrew, I'm genuinely curious why you'd want to resume drinking after a year of sobriety. Of course that's your choice and I'm not judging, but I'm sort of wondering what you think the benefit would be. At the beginning I set up a series of goals (1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year) but after the first month I started thinking I'd never go back. I'm not in AA either, btw.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats on your one year mark DN!

You should be proud of this.

In the last year have you not noticed on many levels how great things have become in your life? Waking up early in the morning all bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to hit the day at full speed.

No more laying in bed just trying to gauge how hard the hangover will hit you when you lift your head from the pillow and your feet hit the floor.

No more wondering what you did during the night before while in black out mode.

The insanity of it all came to an end for you for a whole year.

I to am almost at a year and Also quit without to much trouble and did not attend any AA meetings. I myself often wonder "hey maybe I did not have a problem and can moderate myself from this point forward"

But I play that thought to the end and realize that I will not stop once that first drink is inside me. Just like the first day I ever drank I knew my drinking was different than everyone around me and thats when the trouble started.

Play this all the way to the end bro...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was running errands and bought a bottle of vodka. I did not just take two drinks. Oh well a year down the drain.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Sorry to hear that. You can always start again. That year sober is still there.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Don't let this turn into a trainwreck. Just learn from it and look at all the good that has come from your year sober and realize that you can keep moving forward. You did a fantastic job and you should be proud of yourself. I know a lot of us here wish we had a year under our belts.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Round 2
Old 04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too returned to drinking after I decided to quit.
It was really harmful to me but it opened my eyes
to the fact alcohol was throwing me into depression.

Many of our members are happily sucessfully sober who do
not use a formal structured program...and many of us who do.

The idea is to quit drinking.....hope you do that quickly...

Here is a link about various programs ..you might find one that
clicks for youthat you are unaware of.....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi DAN!

Sorry about the vodka...but I hope its for the best and this will help you quit for good.

Ccurious how much enjoyment you find out of the bottle. By the time I quit I hadn't enjoyed drinking in a long time.

We are always here for you.

LaFemme
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Bottle = EMPty. Question of the day. Drive to get another?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Answer to Question of the Day = NO.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Bottle = EMPty. Question of the day. Drive to get another?
It's your choice but if you really want to quit I think you know the answer.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

A huge milestone. Congratulations.

What made me realize I'm an alcoholic is that I can't have one drink. Because when I have one drink the odds are I'll continue into a blackout. Non-alcoholics can decide to have one drink and have no problem doing it. But alcoholics can't stop once they start.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I was running errands and bought a bottle of vodka. I did not just take two drinks. Oh well a year down the drain.
Not true. You can't loose a year's worth of experiences. A slight interruption, that's all. You just taught yourself a lesson you needed to learn.

And it doesn't matter if you're in AA or not, we just don't drink today.