Notices

High bottom alcoholic?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BakoGal..Welcome...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is not one defined thing. Even the so-called experts do not have a universal definition. It's just a word. But me personally, though I haven't suffered some of the consequences that others have, I knew I didn't think or act like a "normal" person where alcohol is concerned. I was always wanted to drink more and more. If you're thinking your drinking is a problem, and you want to stop, and you want support in that, no reason to avoid AA.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I also struggle with the disease theory and allergy concept. I don't want to get drunk anymore, but a couple beers is like a reward to myself. AA says it is a sufficient substitute for alcohol, but it is not. Maybe I don't quit drinking because it hasn't made me miserable enough. People in AA say "Not yet, it hasn't. But I don't think I will ever be a hard core drunk since recovering from mental illness by ending the relationship with my mother. I want beer and AA. AA is familiar to me from when I was younger. The people like me and make me feel good about myself. We talk about God. They taught me to pray. I am an 11th Stepper. Some don't trust me or maybe feel that I am not "One Of Us". But most are happy to see me and enjoy having me around. I found myself on page XX recently. I stay on with AA because I am improving.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NewTimer

I'm not in AA, but one thing I had to accept was I could be the man I wanted to be, and have the life I wanted to live...or I could drink.

I couldn't do both.

Things got a lot better for me after I accepted that

D
Old 11-27-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've met people at AA that truly believe anyone that drinks at all is an alcoholic. My husband will have maybe two beers a week. Not an alcoholic bone in his body. Just enjoys a beer while watching football occasionally. I've had people at AA tell me I should bring him to a meeting based on that. That is completely ludicrous to me. I try to steer clear of those types as I think they are almost addicted to AA as they use to be to the alcohol. JMHO.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

High bottom, low bottom, dry drunk, tapering, high functioning, family history...today I am four weeks without a drink (thanks SR!!!!!) so I don't know much about anything except white knuckles but I have to say that for me these terms are strictly academic. I must never voluntarily drink alcohol. Period. The fact that I was such a suave boozy doesn't make any difference--it doesn't matter what other people thought of my drinking. Being sober for me and my family is all that's important.