Notices

High bottom alcoholic?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Many people who abuse alcohol also have a lot of mental health issues. They can take the form of anxiety, depression, stress disorders etc. etc. Alcohol, in the long run, will only make these conditions much worse.

The paradox is that some people will attend AA or any other treatment program, conquer the alcoholism part of the equation and end up very confused as the mental health issues don't always magically dissappear with alcohol cessation, in many cases they can become even more pronounced when the crutch of alcohol is removed. The medical profession has come a long way in dealing with mental health issues and treatment is there if you seek it out.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a mental health issue.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

FrothyJay: "And yes, on several occasions, the Big Book suggests controlled drinking experiments to help someone decide if they are an alcoholic."

I am one of those "controlled drinking experiement" people. The challenge: two drinks, every day, no more, no less, for six months then stop entirely. If you can do that, I was told by some AA old timers, you are not alcoholic. So religiously I measured and drank two drinks each evening every day for six months and then stopped completely. Needless to say, I was elated. I had passed the "test". I wasn't alcoholic.

That would be great if it were the end of the story.

I decided I had been making too big a deal of days long gone. My past binge drinking episodes I chalked up to the excesses of graduate school and youth. I let go of trying to control, monitor or regulate my drinking. The moment I let go of trying to control my drinking was when I came to understand that I had no control. Very quickly, I spiraled into daily drinking (3-4 drinks) with weekend binges (6-8 drinks each Friday and Saturday).

But for the grace of God, I would have continued that spiral into hell. One weekend, in the midst of my alcoholic haze, I had a thought that was as clear as clear could be. "Oh my God, I am becoming my father." My father was an alcoholic, and he drank himself to death. That was my moment of clarity. I could not drink another drink. That was April 19, 2008. April 20th will be three years.
Susan

Last edited by susanlauren; 04-17-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: clarification/ typos
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oak View Post
Hunt307, Welcome to SR!!!

Thanks for posting. I also question if I'm an alcoholic, mostly because I drank so little in my life. I also had times when I could drink one or two and stop without problems. There were also times when I drank way too much (though not everyday) or obsessed about alcohol. I also have a 'high bottom'; however, it was low for me and for the way that I want to live my life.

You mentioned wanting non-drinking friends. I assume non-drinking friends will help you stay sober. You could also find ways to meet others (hobbies, local classes, meetup.com, whatever is available in your location). That might help you decide if there is something you get from AA besides sober friends (like if the program or meetings are helpful). However, I think it is okay to go just to get sober friends since having sober friends will help you not drink also. (the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking)

The fact that the negative consequences from drinking were 5 or more years ago does not mean that there weren't negative consequences. The first time that I joined AA was after not drinking for 8 years, yet I still found it helpful. You could also try alternative recovery groups (SMART, etc) and see if you feel like they are a better fit for you.

I can totally identify with not wanting to be fake. Are there one or two people in the meetings that you could talk to about your concerns?

Good luck in your journey!
Hey, thanks alot for your post. It means a lot for me to hear that somebody came into AA with 8 years of sobriety, and that even if I am here just to have sober friends then that is OK. It's almost like I needed to hear that and accept that it would be alright if that were the case in order to consider the ways I DO fit into aa, and allow myself to consider these things without feeling like I'm doing so out of fear based justification. The truth is that I really don't want to drink, ever again, and I want to be happy and enjoy my life, and AA has allowed me to do that. I need tools to learn how to live sober and to be a friend, and AA gives me that. Thank you also for the recommendation of doing other things to meet friends, and getting those needs met elsewhere to see if there are other things I am getting from AA. Now that you mention that and I think about it, I know there are other reasons I go to AA. I think its that I'm afraid that I'm not capable of making friends outside of AA, so that might be something I need to do. Thanks alot and I hope I see you around in here.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I quit looking for differences among the people in meetings and started looking for similarities.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
FrothyJay: "And yes, on several occasions, the Big Book suggests controlled drinking experiments to help someone decide if they are an alcoholic."

I am one of those "controlled drinking experiement" people. The challenge: two drinks, every day, no more, no less, for six months then stop entirely. If you can do that, I was told by some AA old timers, you are not alcoholic. So religiously I measured and drank two drinks each evening every day for six months and then stopped completely. Needless to say, I was elated. I had passed the "test". I wasn't alcoholic.

That would be great if it were the end of the story.

I decided I had been making too big a deal of days long gone. My past binge drinking episodes I chalked up to the excesses of graduate school and youth. I let go of trying to control, monitor or regulate my drinking. The moment I let go of trying to control my drinking was when I came to understand that I had no control. Very quickly, I spiraled into daily drinking (3-4 drinks) with weekend binges (6-8 drinks each Friday and Saturday).

But for the grace of God, I would have continued that spiral into hell. One weekend, in the midst of my alcoholic haze, I had a thought that was as clear as clear could be. "Oh my God, I am becoming my father." My father was an alcoholic, and he drank himself to death. That was my moment of clarity. I could not drink another drink. That was April 19, 2008. April 20th will be three years.
Susan
Wow, that is an awesome story. I was told the same thing by my sponsor, but he said two drinks a day for a month. I concluded that I didn't want to do that and that even a nonalcoholic could introduce a very bad habit by drinking an addictive substance on schedule for a month, let alone six month. In the back of my mind though, I knew that if I really put my mind to it I could probably do it, and that has plagued me for a long time. I know that if I have a good logical reason I can control my drinking, especially if its to prove something to somebody else, lol, but its when I can't remember why I am trying to control my drinking that I let my self slip into heavy drinking, its like I say, hey, I have nothing to do in the morning, why not? No matter how I look at it, if I allow myself to drink the way I want to then I am drinking into ablivion, because I like the feeling. I think my mental block with calling myself an alcoholic comes from the fact that I never really completely lost the ability to control my drinking, and from reading the big book I don't qualify as a "real" alcoholic, and the only way I could do that would be to go back out there and drink so much that I lose that ability, and maybe lose my life, but I don't have to do that. Thank you so much for your story; it really helped me see my problem more clearly.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peggy125 View Post
I can relate. I have rarely drank since Jan. 2005 when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. By rarely, I mean I've been drunk 2-3 times in since 2005 and have had a drink with dinner 2-3 times a year since then. I'm now a mother of 3 little girls and I worry what will happen when they get older and don't need me as much. I think I don't drink now because I have so much to keep me busy. But shortly before discovering I was pregnant I was drinking alone when my husband wasn't home. I fear that once the girls are gone I will start drinking again and sink even deeper than I was before. I have no experience with AA so I can't offer any advice there. But I guess my point is that if your drinking is a problem to you then that's all that really matters if you're trying to recover. Good luck and I hope you're able to find peace!
After reading the rest of these posts and understanding my own compulsion a little better I feel like I relate a lot to what you are saying. It seems like you, like myself, display a very good ability to control your drinking, and for the right reasons you can abstain and moderate, but that abstaining and moderation is out of fear, fear of what I may become. I am happy to see that you are aware of your potential problem and are looking for appropriate solutions as you need them. (and giving back in the mean time) Thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Many people who abuse alcohol also have a lot of mental health issues. They can take the form of anxiety, depression, stress disorders etc. etc. Alcohol, in the long run, will only make these conditions much worse.

The paradox is that some people will attend AA or any other treatment program, conquer the alcoholism part of the equation and end up very confused as the mental health issues don't always magically dissappear with alcohol cessation, in many cases they can become even more pronounced when the crutch of alcohol is removed. The medical profession has come a long way in dealing with mental health issues and treatment is there if you seek it out.
Never a truer word...I am now 2 months 'properly' sober - by that I mean I haven't 'stopped drinking' knowing I will drink again on holiday, at christmas, birthdays etc. I mean I have stopped. I've started going to AA and am beginning to embrace the programme. But...my mental health is still poor. I am on A/D's and librium for anxiety and this really upset me - why didn't the mental illness go with the alcohol? I have to accept that it will probably always be there, but without the alcohol it will be manageable!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Whether you relate to the Big Book is irrelevant. I agree, I think you need a good sponsor and to revisit step one.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

We addicts think differently. Logic that seems insane to others can land us drunk again.
I had quit smoking 15 years earlier and very proud of myself. Went to stay with a friend in another city for four days and forgot he's a heavy smoker. So I decided I'd have one or two per day while there and then quit again.

After I'd returned home about three days I realized wow! I hadn't thought of cigarettes at all. So I went out and bought a pack.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hi everyone, first time user of the forums here, wanted to respond to original poster

hunt, I was contemplating the question you asked for myself as well, and I decided that I didn't care what others thought, I needed to do it for me. I meet enough requirements, namely, I have a desire to stop drinking (and not start again).

for me, I always thought that I "wasn't that bad". But then one day I realised I needed to say "yet" at the end. and I said to myself 'really? you are going to wait until you lose everything you love and everything you worked for? really!??!' that was bottom for me. I don't have horror stories of jail or dui's to tell....yet. thank God.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
oak

DerekH, Welcome to SR. I love what you wrote.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome DerekH...to our recovery community....

Thanks for shareing and Yes..we can win over alcohol
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Just popped on here and noticed this string, and I want to say what a GOOD conversation it provoked!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DerekH

D
Old 04-23-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up for this site today. I LOVE this particular thread. I also do not have any arrests, DUIs, etc. However, I strongly believe I have a problem although my "social drinker" friends and family try to convince me that I am fine (just like them) since I function in society, keep a job, etc. I, very much like many of you, have tried to control/quit my drinking on my own, but it's just not working. I wake up 2-3 days a week upset with myself for having that 3rd, 4th, 5th glass of wine when I only intended to have 1/2.

Considering attending my first meeting tonight. I am terrified, but it's time to make a change. You all have inspired me and made me realize we don't have to be a daily drunken felon to seek help.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BakoGal View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just signed up for this site today. I LOVE this particular thread. I also do not have any arrests, DUIs, etc. However, I strongly believe I have a problem although my "social drinker" friends and family try to convince me that I am fine (just like them) since I function in society, keep a job, etc. I, very much like many of you, have tried to control/quit my drinking on my own, but it's just not working. I wake up 2-3 days a week upset with myself for having that 3rd, 4th, 5th glass of wine when I only intended to have 1/2.

Considering attending my first meeting tonight. I am terrified, but it's time to make a change. You all have inspired me and made me realize we don't have to be a daily drunken felon to seek help.
I find it far more helpful to evaluate the role alcohol has in my life, rather than how much I consume. Am I thinking about it? Am I wondering how much I'll drink? Am I disappointed when it's not there? When I control it, do I wake up the next day and congratulate myself? When I drink, do I find that there's a moment after a few drinks that I feel completely sane and clear-headed, before I overdo it? And is it that moment-- when all seems fine-- that I am pursuing?

Normal drinkers do not have these thoughts.

Good luck with the meeting. Try to identify with the thought-processes you hear (the insanity) rather than the outcomes (DUIs, divorces, etc.). There is no rule that alcoholism can only be treated after tragedy occurs.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BakoGal View Post
However, I strongly believe I have a problem although my "social drinker" friends and family try to convince me that I am fine (just like them) since I function in society, keep a job, etc. I, very much like many of you, have tried to control/quit my drinking on my own, but it's just not working.
Perfect example of how our non-alcoholic peers are not really the best judge of our problems. I struggle with the fact that my parents still don't "get" the fact that I am an alcoholic or what that means -- they told my best friend again just recently that once I get a new job I'll be less depressed and won't need to drink. They don't appreciate that I am an alcoholic, have relapsed in the past because I am an alcoholic, and external life stressors were really just an excuse.

My sponsor's parents don't understand why she "still has to go to those meetings." She has been sober for 7 years.

Good for you for listening to your own intuition, we are our own best judge.

GG
Old 04-23-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BakoGirl

D
Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I always look at it like smoking. I've given up smoking a few times in my life, the last time was properly for good. The interesting thing is, if I started again I'd be back to 20-30 a day within a week. I know this from experience.

I treat alcohol in the same way. It doesn't bother me at all, I don't crave, although sometimes I crave oblivion which is different. But I know that, for me, alcohol acts like tobacco, and if I started drinking again it would be only a matter of time before I was drinking more than I wanted.

Just because alcohol doesn't affect others in the way it affects me is just evidence of the variability that makes people "interesting"

That's pretty much all I have to remember.