Notices

Asking for thoughts and/or prayers

Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey skg....I have actually gotten heaps of great advice Thanks to this thread. As for asking for positive vibes/prayers/thoughts, as I indicated in my initial post I have a hard time asking for help. For me to actually post that here on SR was a big step for me

Fandy nespresso is simply a super gourmet keurig machine...they are one of our clients which is why its in the office.

Lyddie...im not sure im at the point of reusing tea bags yet...but I don't drink much tea anyway.

Unfortunately my local farmers market considers its gourmet...they used to have great prices but in the past few years they have raised them well above whole foods prices. I am planting some veggies in my garden this year...things I know are easy.

I've made Good progress on the car situation...and have a handful of potential roomates. I am going to start calling CC companies tomorrow...ugh..that wont be fun...but I am finding that the things I fear are less terrifying the sooner I confront them
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Femme....I hadn't seen this thread until now. What great suggestions!

You are truly an inspiration to us. The positive karma you share here, is surely to come back to you ten fold.

Positive vibes flowing to you, friend!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

good luck on tackling the credit card companies...don't be put off by them if they are rude, keep calling and if you do not like the answer you receive, ask for that person's full name and ask to speak to their supervisor...keep going up the food chain.

I think you try to guarantee them XX amount of $$ per month and tell them you wish to pay off the balance you might have a good shot.

I think you rec'd some good positive suggestions on this thread, and FWIW, i found your requests to be very specific....and if all else fails, you have the option of talking to a qualified accountant or attorney for advice on getting your finances in order.

you do communicate with like-minded people, even if you aren't participating with a *sponsor*.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

This thread is awesome. LaFemme///Im sorry you are going through this. money problems rack my brain. Im terrible with money. My husband is great with money (thank God) I love all the suggestions. Since I havent been drinking I have been splurging in other areas. Time to cut back!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OklaBH View Post
My husband is great with money (thank God)!
Does he have a brother...:rotfxko
Old 04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
\
Question....what do people budget for food in a month? I feel like I am spending too much even when I bring my lunch to work. Fandy...where do you get your coffee during the day...do you bring a carafe? I want to eat cheap and healthy but the only way I can think of to eat cheap is a diet of Ramen, hot dogs and pizza
LaFemme, my family of five does spend WAY too much on food in a month. I have never official keep track of it, but I think about $1300.00 a month. Yes, crazy and it is going to stop now, I think when I was drinking 8 months ago, I didn't care. But this is part of my recovery, to save money. I was very frugal when I didn't drink. When I say frugal, I don't mean totally depriving ourselves, but really watching. I think I should be able to get the month food/toiletries/cleaners bill down to $800.00 -$900.00 per month.

What I find is very economical and healthy is homemade soup. Salad isn't really expensive either. What I also do is buy want is on sale, so if oranges, grapes, and apples are on sale for the week. That is what we have for fruit that week. Same with vegetables, buy what is on sale each week.

Just some thoughts... hope it works out with the credit card companies, I would also follow up with a written letter regarding new agreement with them.

Good luck Lefemme and sending hugs and positive thoughts~
Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

one thing you can easily do is to take charge of your mail.

open your bills and prep them for payment (either on line or to mail)...address label and stamp, write the due date on the envelope so they are not accidently late by mistake.

this helps keep me on track and not miss payments
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thanks for the extra info Fandy!

Just an update to keep me accountable. I've got a plan in place for one of the debts, plus taken care of another financial liability.

I've been doing better keeping costs down since starting this thread, and actually had more money when I checked my balance this morning than I thought.

I try and keep a running figure (rounded up) of expenditures in my brain, obviously this is not 100%...other than writing it down in a checkbook (I don't use a checking account anymore) does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm feeling positive enough to tackle another debt...here I go!

P.S. - I made a spreadsheet to track all this...thanks Fandy!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

i track my checking account online daily and the bank sends me my balance to my email account every morning at 5AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Wow! Fandy, you are my idol! I hope one day to be as on top of my money as you are

I got into bad habits early, in college, and with drinking I never grew up in the way I dealt with money. Most of my adult life I worked in a job where OT was available, so when debt got out of control I worked killer hours for awhile and paid things off.

I feel like I am learning good money habits for the first time.
As of now, I have spoken to all my debt holders and I have a plan to pay things off. Thankfully none of the debts have gone to collection agencies so I can work with the primary debt holders. It will take some time to pay off everything but it is better having a complete awareness of my obligations than being afraid of what I don't know.

There is nothing to Fear but Fear itself and all that.

I also have a phone interview with a potential short term room mate. A law student with a summer job near me. Now I need to cancel my gym membership...boo
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I try and keep a running figure (rounded up) of expenditures in my brain, obviously this is not 100%...other than writing it down in a checkbook (I don't use a checking account anymore) does anyone have any suggestions?
This site's been super helpful to me in organizing & keeping track of finances - it's free, good reporting tools, intuitive UX, and well integrated: www.mint.com
Old 04-26-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

I also have a phone interview with a potential short term room mate. A law student with a summer job near me. Now I need to cancel my gym membership...boo
Just a quick shot-in-the-arm of encouragement, LaFemme. With all due respect to the challenge of becoming and staying sober, you're making some pretty heavy financial sacrifices right now. But as with sobriety, it's tough to overestimate the benefits of these sacrifices. Congratulations, and thanks for the example.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

the roommate can be a short-term thing too, and maybe you can put a pause on your gym membership...for like a few months??? my club offers that option.

getting a handle on your financial situation can give you huge peace of mind...you are also "undoing" damage that occurred while you were actively drinking....feeling more secure financially takes off a lot of my stress that got triggered and made me quick to abuse alcohol...it gets into a vicious cycle that way (for me).

congrats on both your commissions and staring down the problems. it is good that nothing is in collection, you are avoiding a whole different animal (with fangs).
Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

hey lafemme! Just checking in here. Noble Cause mentions mint.com. I have heard about people using that with success (it tracks your budget automatically by syncing to your banking account so you can plainly see what you are spending, and I think it can also track credit card debt) and I have considered joining (hesitant b/c of privacy concerns).

I also might have mentioned this on a thread, but if you live somewhere where people like to travel, you could also consider posting your free room on airbnb.com to get temporary guests. Lots of NYers would like to get away for the weekend, maybe, and it's a good way to make as much money as a roommate would bring in without sharing your space longterm.

Cheap meals . . . I like to challenge myself to put together a meal for under a few dollars. Brown rice is healthy and cheap, and my rice cooker makes it easy. Buying in bulk helps too. I also shop for specials and stock up when I find a good deal, space allowing. It's almost like a game for me.

Sounds like you're doing a terrific job calling around and working on these things. Way to go!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thanks AG! I love Brown Rice! I am also trying to clean out my cabinets a little right now. I sometimes impulse buy food items with long shelf life and then forget I have them...so now is a good time to eat them

My bank has a program that tracks spending when using their card....sounds like the mint.com program. Since I don't have any credit cards, I only need to track the debit/atm cards.

I'm not sure about the temporary guests thing mostly because I have the dogs. Summer is pretty sensitive and takes awhile to warm up to people. If it weren't for the dogs I would move in about 2 seconds flat and cut my rent in half.

Fandy, I will ask my gym if they will let me put it on hold for the Summer. Thanks for the suggestion! And you are right, when I drank I would drink to forget about my dire financial straits. And dealing with this stuff does wake up the old voice a little, luckily it's just a random brain synapse and not a real craving.

Onwards and upwards!