Notices

Asking for thoughts and/or prayers

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Good luck, LaFemme.

I am with others who have said that you are thoughtful, considerate, creative, etc. I strongly believe in karma and that things will work out for you.

I am kind of in the same boat. I have credit card debt, am barely making my bills and mortgage, and have two jobs. Summers are usually very unpredictable for me income-wise, and summer is fast approaching. I got utterly and completely screwed last summer and I was a wreck over it. In all honesty, none if it was actually my fault (classes I was supposed to teach accidentally getting cancelled, documents being lost by payroll, not getting a dime for my work until long after I was finished with the job). But the way I reacted to it didn't help any either. I remember stopping by a liquor store one early afternoon to buy some beer with the remaining (or so I thought) few dollars I had on one of my credit cards. Declined. I felt like such a loser. I then promptly called my mom and asked to borrow some money. Not much, but enough to put gas in my tank and get loaded. (She didn't know about that last part!) I am not sure what will happen this summer... I am trying to stay ahead of the game and keep an eye on things to make sure docs don't get lost and classes don't get cancelled, I am sending out my resume to get a third job just in case, I am doing a lot better at not spending money on stuff I don't need, and most of all, I am not drinking. I am sure I will feel a little anxiety, but it will be nothing compared to what I felt last summer when I was drinking through all of that crap.
I also have strong faith in God now, and I believe that with him, everything will turn out okay.

Hugs and Prayers.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

i got stopped last year for having an overdue inspection sticker...it cost me $135.00 for my laziness of being 6 months past due.

NOT again!...that was about a month's worth of pet supplies in that ticket.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

May have found a part time room mate which could save me a couple hundred dollars on rent...fingers crossed that it works out and my dogs don't scare her away!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Who wouldn't want to be your roommate?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

finding a person that likes dogs is a good filter
Old 04-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
Who wouldn't want to be your roommate?
Oye! Got an inquiry that through the course of talking to them turned out that they were crazy and maybe had anger management issues!

Hope the friend of a friend works out!

Also stood up for myself...got a charge that I didn't think was right and I challenged it whereas before I would have just paid by challenging it I saved $90
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi LaFemme-

I'm going to pray that you are ok no matter-what happens.

Kjell~
Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I hate to say this, but can you postpone your life coach sessions for a few months? if it's not covered by insurance it might be way to save some $$$.

Please be sure to do a thorough background check on any prospective roommates before you let someone into your home....and have an iron clad lease....my rule of thumb (i rent an apt. for students at my mother's house), is first month, last month rent in advance along with one month security deposit. and no smoking clause in writing.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
orangutan

Just found this thread and wanted to add my well wishes I dont have any advice but you always have nice things to say to others and deserve a good outcome. Positive energy being sent!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi LF,
I wanted to let you know a couple of things really. Firstly, you are an inspiration to me here at SR, I find your posts insightful and often just what I need to hear. So thank you.

Secondly, my thoughts, positive vibes and good wishes are on their way to you. And I will be dreaming of lottery wins for you and I!!!

Thirdly... I can totally relate. I am, like many others here, in a precarious position financially and am wondering daily/hourly/minute by minute how I will make ends meet. I had to go to my bank yesterday and ask if there was any help they could give me... which I was completely ashamed of having to do. Until I realised.... where is the shame in that? WHERE?

So you may need to apply for banckruptcy, from what I can see that means that you have exhausted all other options and you are doing whatever you need to do to survive. You should have no sense of shame because of it, you can be proud of yourself for taking the tough decisions... and as for what your parents feel about it... you can only control your own thoughts and feelings. You do what you need to do La Femme......

All of us here will be behind you as always...

:ghug3
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks Knell..thanks Man's!

Fandy...I have put my coaching in hold for the next two weeks while I get a handle on things...then I think I might cut back to a third...my sobriety isbmy first priority but I also think I am nearing the end of needing the help as much as I have...time to stand on my own two feet.

Question....what do people budget for food in a month? I feel like I am spending too much even when I bring my lunch to work. Fandy...where do you get your coffee during the day...do you bring a carafe? I want to eat cheap and healthy but the only way I can think of to eat cheap is a diet of Ramen, hot dogs and pizza
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

this is how i make coffee, you need an electric kettle and one of these plastic coffee cones. I put the cone over my coffee cup:
YouTube - Brewing Coffee:secrets
You can buy filters for them or even use paper towels or regular coffee basket filters, just pour in a little boiling water before you put the coffee in if you are using something over sized so it sits down in the cone
its the best coffee ever

cheap healthy food ideas:
I remember living on potatoes out of the microwave at some point, they are so good with butter, salt & pepper, maybe a can of tuna and salad on the side
~take boiled eggs to work, bit stinky, need to go outside to eat them
~bags of nuts

It is interesting how everyone has a different idea of finances
I was shocked when my friend who is a similar age to me (40's) is single and works all the time in a decent job said she didn't have $1500 to pay her tax, I have no idea what she does with all her pay
I really hope they teach financial management in school one day
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

3 heads of roamine lettuce, cukes and other salad mix-ins costs under $10.00...that is enough for 4-5 large salads packed for lunches...campbells chunky soup is $1.99 a 20 ounce can at wallworld...frozen lean cuisenes are about $3.00 each. egg salad, triscuits, fruit/.nut bars...oatmeal, yogurts...all very cheap.

for beverages i would bring a thermos if there is no coffee at work...(we have the industrial Kuerig so i don't worry and there are microwaves all over the floor for heating up leftovers)..I only drink de-caff tea at work.

cook extra for dinner and leave a small container made up in your fridge for the next morning to grab and go.

I save at least 40.00 a week by bringing my lunch and I know exactly what ingredients i'm eating....leftovers and flour tortillas make an excellent wrap hot or cold.

take coffee from home, buy a 6 pack of soda or water and leave it in your office fridge.,
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

just try it for a week and take the $$ you would have spent on food/bev. and throw it in a drawer...it is amazing what you will have extra.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions! There is a Nespresso machine in the office...maybe at lunch I will go out and buy a sleeve of the coffee. It's one of the more expensive one cup coffee machines but till cheaper than a cup at the coffee shop.

I don't drink soda, so that's good.

The more food saving suggestions the better...I try not to buy pre-made food as the sodium content is so high...maybe this weekend I will make soup.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

today for lunch I brought a tomato, sliced leftover chix. breast i cooked to put on top of salad of baby spinach, cukes, romaine and some croutons. low fat dressing laced with lemon juice.

yes, the canned soups have more sodium as do the pre-packed frozen meals...water packed tuna comes spiced in envelopes too. not messy, like opening a can of cat food.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I started taking my lunch to work about two years ago. And while I don't know exactly how much I saved, I do know that I needed much less cash in my wallet each week. I often make soup on Sunday and put it in microwave containers all ready to take to work. Fruit, carrots. celery, cherry tomatoes are my main snack food and are easy to pack in the morning.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

La Femme, you can also consider going to a local farmer market. Since I discovered one I pay about 1/2 price for all my veggies. Like this last week 1lb blueberries are for $2.50 thats almost 2 breakfirsts here. If they do not have blueberries I go with other cheap fruits and veggies. Cooking myself is better for me then buying processed foods and cheaper. Oh and I also reuse teabags 4-5 times, lol.... Yeah I know you may not want to do this
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

If you make your soup, put the single serve containers into the freezer...take out in the morning for work...less chance of spillage if it's frozen.

i like strong tea so I don't reuse teabags, but I DK what a Nespresso machine is??? is it like a pod? or a K-cup?..sometimes if i think the k-cup is too strong, i will run it through again in a separate cup on the shortest water setting.

I have seen the starbucks Via coffee packets in the stores too..like their version of instant.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
skg

LaFemme,
I haven't read all the comments and the reasons are many. I learned in my recovery that hand-wringing and wishful thinking, or coddly well-wishers with no suggestions, served more to frustrate me--and this is MY experience--and kick-off, The Committee. Over and over. One of the reasons I attend AA meetings is to get suggestions from people who know how I think. A sponsor whom I can trust for the private stuff, but getting different perspectives on a problem can create hope where none existed before.
If you're wanting prayers, why not be specific? I'll refrain from the 'prayers of supplication and thanksgiving,' speech, but I HAVE learned a thing or two about prayer. I'll be glad to toss you some reading titles that might help, too. One of my problems was that I had a list of me-stuff a mile long but wasn't willing to do my part.