Notices

I have a question

Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a question

My husband is a big drinker (he doesn't really think he an alcoholic). Anyway, he just found out his pancreas enzymes are elevated. That is all we know right now. Has anyone here ever had this because of drinking.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I would discuss this with my family physician as he can provide the medical knowledge that will benefit you the most. Most physicians or their nurses will be glad to talk with you if you have questions. We are not able to give medical advice here.

I do know the pancreas has to do with insulin production which problems with insulin production can lead to diabetes and/or other diseases. That is not to say he has or will have diabetes only his physician is in a position to evaluate that. I did not have a physical after or near early sobriety so I do not know if it is common for recovering or active alcoholics but I suspect it may be even if I do not have any proof to back it up.

Take care, I hope I helped in some way to answer your question.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. It leads to pancreatitis which is life threatening, whether you are alcoholic or not.

Zube
Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Yes. It leads to pancreatitis which is life threatening, whether you are alcoholic or not.

Zube
Pancreatitis is one of the things it can lead to. Only a doctor can confirm what exactly the problem is and diagnose it. We do not have all the facts or his medical chart here to make diagnosis....plus many are not qualified to make the diagnosis even if we did. I as a nurse of 20 years and a paramedic of 12 would never make a diagnosis on any forum as I am not qualified to do so without all the facts that are in a medical chart.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, your husband will need to talk to his dr.

We can't offer any kind of medical advice.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Alcohol can kill people regardless of whether or not they are an alcoholic, it's a toxin to most systems in the body.

I hope he is honest with his Doctor about how much he drinks.

There's lots of posts on here (and information out in Googleville) about alcoholic pancreatitis.. but no one can tell him what's going on other than his doc.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I apologize, I really didn't mean to ask for medical advice as he does go to his Dr. tomorrow. He is being treated for Bi-Polar and the Psychiatrist needed to check levels before starting a new medicine. She called him last night at 9:00 to let him know his enzymes were high and that if he had any stomach problems to go to the ER immediately. She then said she was forwarding the results to his MD. Well MD called today and set up the appointment for tomorrow.

I was really just wanting to know if anyone on here had been thru this. Again, I didn't mean to do anything against the rules.

I'd like to wish you all all the luck in the world on beating this horrible addiction. Hugs to all.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Glad he's seeing a doc.. that's really the only thing he can do (other than quit drinking, but that's likely a whole other Oprah).
Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Of course you are concerned and I sure hope your husband
takes this seriously.

I see you have been useing our F&F Forums...good for you.

All my best to both of you....
Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post

Zube
Amen...We'll pray for his conversion and for his heath concerns.

~God bless~