Notices

In Your Own Experience...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In Your Own Experience...

If the following intervention was used on you, did it work?

Let me preface this with: this is only a question, it is not to knock anyones recovery or how you got it/keep it. I am just looking for experience in the Experience Strength and Hope genre.

Here it is:

Your friends and co workers believe you have a drinking problem. You are called into the office with the big boss for a meeting. The big boss says, "we have seen the following negative behaviors relating to your drinking 1. coming to work drunk, not coming to work because you are too drunk to drive, can't wake up, etc. If you continue on this path, I see you losing custody of your child (the person in mention has sole custody of his child), going to jail, losing your job(this persons in this situation are in the military), etc. "

/end scenario

The big boss had this done to him years ago and said it saved him.

I have never seen this type of intervention work, but I want to be hopeful.

We love this man. We love his daughter, she is friends with our daughter. She is 7. She is scared for her Dad.

My experience says no way. Can someone share ES&H?

My background: I have a few 24 hours under my belt, but I sure need to go reread Co Dependent No More and attend some Al Anon meetings this week. I actually identify myself as an alcoholic but have gone to Al Anon (I have an alcoholic father).

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, if it is followed by... something to the effect of... we have arranged for you to enter treatment if you are willing to do so, if not, then you will, in fact, be terminated...

that would work.

Tho it's not exactly how it went down with me, it's close... Did I want to save my career?

YES!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've not had any experience with interventions
but the actice alcoholic me would have quit the job

Hope this situation wil work out to his benefit....
Old 04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Had this happened to me I am pretty sure I would have had a break Down and wept with relief that someone cared and wanted to help me. Would it have worked long term...idk...I think for me perhaps especially had I been sent to some form of rehab.

But that is me and I know that part of my problem was a desperate cry for attention, which I never got.

Too many factors to be considered. Here's a question....how will you feel if nothing is done and he dies? Do it to help yourself but don't get too invested in the outcome.

Hugs.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your input.

I just needed people who weren't as close to this as I am to help me see what I can't, if you know what I mean.

LaFemme, I will feel bad for him, but feel absolutely awful for his daughter. He is it for her. She has no one else who can care for her full time. I know I can't help someone who doesn't want help but darn it, that little girl deserves the world.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree his daughter deserves the world...that is your answer then. Try whatever you can for her sake.

Jmho.