Notices

drinking dreams

Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

drinking dreams

Anyone ever had this: woke up this morning very early, nothing strange in that, but was lying there trying to get back to sleep and started to think about the terrible hangover mornings when I was drinking. The head/face aches, terrible palpitations and anxiety with my heart pounding so hard I thought it would burst out of my body. I would lie there and try and get back to sleep to escape the pain but could not....wondering "what have I said, did I row with husband" etc etc, coupled with the guilt of the booze anyway, feeling so dreadful and panicky, get up, take a couple of tabs to feel better, feeling shaky, actually the feeling is like the world is going to end.

If I have any doubts, I never, ever, want that life back again. So utterly grateful that I don't have to drink again and I so thank God for keeping me sober another day. Thanks to everyone on SR. xx Sober Lillyknitting
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I think about that a lot actually. Every day I remember some part of the awful life it was and feel such intense gratitude that it's over.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I like the end of your story.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me too.

I had drinking dreams about a month into my sobriety, and that would cause me to wake up and feel similar. I would be so mad at myself in the morning because I was certain that I had drank, when I actually hadn't. Now that I'm starting over I know they'll come back, but I'm ready this time.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
Anyone ever had this: woke up this morning very early, nothing strange in that, but was lying there trying to get back to sleep and started to think about the terrible hangover mornings when I was drinking. The head/face aches, terrible palpitations and anxiety with my heart pounding so hard I thought it would burst out of my body. I would lie there and try and get back to sleep to escape the pain but could not....wondering "what have I said, did I row with husband" etc etc, coupled with the guilt of the booze anyway, feeling so dreadful and panicky, get up, take a couple of tabs to feel better, feeling shaky, actually the feeling is like the world is going to end.

If I have any doubts, I never, ever, want that life back again. So utterly grateful that I don't have to drink again and I so thank God for keeping me sober another day. Thanks to everyone on SR. xx Sober Lillyknitting
drinking dreams are very common and i still have them from time to time.. i am Always glad it was just a dream. i enjoyed reading your post here. it has to get Bad Enough before it gets better!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With 20 yrs. of recovery living and breathing it,
it seeps into every pore of my being. My mind,
my soul, my subconscience. So when I dream
my program continues to work. I wake up smiling
that even tho alcohol was present, I was able to
say no to it and help another by sharin my ESH
with them. It's pretty awesome how that happens
even when im asleep.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Iv always been a vivid dreamer. Im on day 8 and Iv dreamt of drinking about everynight. There is always shame and guilt. Im happy to wake up and realize it was just a dream.

Regarding the first post, geez, thats exactly how I felt waking up after a night drinking, it was awful. I never want to feel that way again. Grateful I dont have to.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Waking up

I also had very vivid and what seemed very real dreams about bad things that happened from drinking. Only had 2 of them about a month after I quit drinking as well. They seemed to contain parts of my life that I was angry, sad, disappointed and afraid of all wrapped up into one dream. Like all the events in my life that I had issues with and the anger that was present when me and my Girlfriend would argue and just pure nastiness was all wrapped in to one dream. When I woke up from them, I had thought them real and it was like waking up from a nightmare. I found a great counselor and I asked about them. He said they are called "using dreams" and very common in the first 1-6 months of sobriety, some people have lots of them, some never do. I just know the 2 that I had scarred the crap out of me in how ugly the were.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last night I dreamed that I woke up and found 20 or so empty beer bottles in my kitchen, and (still dreaming) felt hungover and guilty for drinking them. In the dream I was worried about having to come to SR and report that I had fallen off the wagon.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

I have them almost every night - and I go into rehab next Wednesday for 5 weeks, ugh?

Any advice, my fellow alcoholics out there?

I bought 3 crossword puzzle books to occupy my mind, at least a little bit.

Kelly
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Waking up

Only advice I can give is to remember them as hard as it may be to want to. What I got from the 2 that I had was a very powerful reminder of why I wanted to quit drinking, why I made the decision to. Kind of a reinforcement if you will. It is hard at first, but like I said once you get past the first step, it does get easier, just give it time.
There is a saying I came across once, "The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them" I think it was a poster I saw. good thought. Good Night all.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Waking up

If you guys like, I have a blog that I made about my experience, it is listed below, the myowndecember.com.There are no ads, no BS, just what I have learned and what I am doing now. Check it out if you like. I use to write in a journal, now that is kind of my journal.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post

I thank God for everything...good, bad or indifferent. I also thank him for the wonderful gift of fellowship -one prayer at a time.

~God bless~