Notices

What is working a program??

Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
High on Life

What is working a program??

As part of my treatment plan for outpatient rehab, I am supposed to ask people "What is working a program?" mean to you. So in your own words, tell me what working a program means to you.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For me....it's daily connecting to God....AA and SR.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I use AA. For me, that means, working the steps (using the steps as they apply in my sobriety and in my day-to-day), working with a sponsor, doing service work, contact with another alkie on a daily basis, and constant contact with my Higher Power (prayer and gratitude). These for me are the nuts and bolts of working my program.

Hope that helps...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

imo, it's keeping myself in check in relation to my disease.

it's kinda having that imaginary barometer and seeing how close or far i am away from a drink.

it's keeping an open relationship with God, being honest with myself and sharing with you guys on how i'm doing.

that's what's worked for me the last 16 months.

i think, it's really important to stay plugged in here. if i'm not in AA, and i'm relying on you guys like i would AA then it's crutial that i'm here everyday letting people know how i'm doing.

glad to see you bro!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

"Working a Program" means to me: identifying problems in my recovery, setting my intention to resolve those problems, defining a reasonable path to address those problems, and then following that path.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Daily maintenance to keep the machinery running

D
Old 04-10-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I entered a 28 day rehab with a 6 week aftercare
program attached after family did an intervention
on me back in Aug. 1990. I completed my stay
recieving the tools and knowledge of my alcoholism
before I was set on the path of recovery learning to
live sober a day at a time.

Working my program for the past 20 yrs has included
attending face to face meetings, conventions, suiting
up and showing up when I reallly didnt want to. I brought
goodies to meetings as my service work.

I have and still incorperated the steps and principles of
our AA recovery program into my everyday affairs to the
best of my ability and have passed on my own experiences,
strengths and hopes to those that still suffer with addiction.

For the past 20 yrs, I have gone threw and experienced
many emotional, physical, spiritual changes in my life. As
a result of working a solid recovery program I have reaped
many awesome rewards and special gifts that I am truely
grateful for today.

At the beginning of recovery I learned 3 words...

Willingness, Openmindedness, Honesty

Honesty for me was the last one to achieve in my life and
once I got it, then that was the magical key to unlock the
door to a wonderful world more deserving than I could ever
imagine. It took me awhile to get that but well worth it.

This has been my recovery story and one day you will have
your own as you add on each sober day to it.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Working on a program means being continuously open to the process of change.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Daily introspection and extrospection.
Letting that which does not matter truly go.
Connection to higher power through prayer and action.
Daily identification of negative thought processes and working towards their destruction so only the pure good is left behind.
The cleansing of the mind the body and the soul.
Being a friend or family member that behaves how I would want a friend or family member to behave towards me.
The removal of negative thoughts and feelings such as fear which hold us back in life from living it to the fullest.
Believing in heroes and not just the fictional characters but the ones here in the real world.
In a more literal sense, connection with others who have been through what I have (AA'ers), going to AA meetings, contact with sponsor and working the steps.
Acknowledging ways in which I am unique and ways I am not unique. For example, going to the gym DOES help keep me sober. At the same time as someone told me on here no man is an island. We have to keep in contact with the others who have been down the road we have.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Working the program to me means that I am applying the 12 Traditions and 12 Steps of AA in all aspects of my life.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As part of my treatment plan for outpatient rehab, I am supposed to ask people "What is working a program?" mean to you. So in your own words, tell me what working a program means to you.
It means,
Allowing the suffering alcoholic or drug addict the dignity to admit to themselves if they are what they are by taking the steps with someone they identify with in AA, NA or both.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To me working a program is doing whatever it takes to stay sober, besides just not drinking. It can be AA, SMART, or any of the organized face-to-face meetings.

It can also be a program that you devise for yourself including counseling, meditation, exercise, or whatever helps you stay sober.

The key point is that if your program is not working, then change or add something until you find a combination that does work.

There are plenty of people here at SR with different programs, and they will be glad to tell you what works for them.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Balance.

Every day I work on the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of my recovery. That usually involves coming here to SR, some kind of exercise or yoga/meditation and lots and lots of reading spiritual and inspirational books.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me working my program when I was very early in sobriety meant planning each day to insure that I would not drink by filling my normal drinking times with activities like SR, working out, and fact finding about alcoholism and my individual problems with alcohol. I also planned out any function or event I might be at, to be ready and prepared to handle people offering me drinks and being around drinkers. I also looked for triggers or feelings in which I craved drinking then noted them and tried to avoid them. Lastly I changed my diet and researched the best supplements to keep me mentally and physically fit, which I take daily.

Now that I am happily sober my program consists of basically 4 components:

1. Not drinking
2. Daily self improvement (Mentally and physically)
3. Taking my supplements
4. Regular support/info through SR.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

1. Not drinking.
2. Fixing the broken parts of my life that made alcohol appealing.
3. Being part of SR.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Working steps 10-12 of the AA program daily: inventory and amends, enlarging my spiritual life through prayer and meditation, and carrying the message/working with other alcoholics.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me, "working a program" is a plan for life that supports my decision to stay sober. The best analogy I could give is a diet plan. When people try and lose weight they do certain things NO MATTER WHAT. They eat right, exercise, journal their struggles and acheivments, join a support group etc... Basically, it takes the minute by minute decisions out of the equation. They know if they simply follow what they have been told they will lose weight.

The same holds true with my recovery plan. If I stay in my own head and make decsions based on how I am feeling at any given time, I will probably fail. What I do is have a list of things I must do daily that support my decision to be active in recovery. Like AA, this site, listening to recovery cd's in my car, praying to my HP throughout the day, being there for my kids at all times, doing nice things for my wife - without being asked, calling people (anyone at all) and asking how THEY are doing and just listening, making my bed, making sure my car is clean, and on and on...

My recovery plan is basically centered around me not thinking to much about me. I find when I do, the desire to drink re-enters my head...

Hope this helps!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't drink.
Go to meetings.
Work with a sponsor.
Read the big book and 12 & 12.
Work with other alcoholics.
Prayer & meditation.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
where the light is

Really trying to live in accordance with spiritual principles. Meetings, prayers, and introspection are great but it's gotta go beyond that. ACTION.

Being responsible, respectful, compassionate, honest, loving, and kind are very important to me. Taking care of myself is important too - when I'm worn down, spirituality is the last thing on my mind.

Oh, and I don't really think of it as working a program. It's more about living a good life. The 12 steps helped put me on this path.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Re:What is working a program?

Thanks...TheEnd for the topic.

What does “working a program” mean to me? Good question. The best possible way to answer this question is to focus primarily on the ’recovery’ aspect of (AA) and how the fellowship has impacted my sobriety over the last 10 years –come July. The answer…that best describes my appreciation for (AA) and the ‘program’ of recovery goes something like this:

My life, early on, was filled with so much promise that nothing seemed unattainable. Anything was possible for me, back then, as each day ushered in new visions of my future and the grandiose life it was meant to be. That was before alcohol stepped in -of course. All my dreams were squashed in an instant, that day, as my life started to unravel before my eyes. The overwhelming thoughts of hopelessness and despair caused many to doubt my abilities and sincere desire, to overcome my addictions. The endless deluge of drinking continued until the day I hit my bottom. I most certainly would have died, that day, if it wasn’t for the help of my higher power and the local rescue squad. I knew that Divine intervention had saved my life; as I began the recovery phase, once again, and did so by allowing my higher power and the voice of AA lead the way.

AA began to enlighten me about the truth of this disease and how important recovery programs (like AA) are to alcoholics –like myself. The prospect of continuous sobriety is not just a possibility but a reality also, and can take on new meaning if followed up with a regiment that promotes healing and wholeness through 12 step work. We can sustain lasting sobriety and achieve marginal success in the real world by uncovering our true potential under the unnerving nature of our alcoholism. This fellowship is proof of that –if you are still unsure. I have accomplished many things in my life since embarking on this crusade some 10 years ago –come July. I was spared many more years of hopelessness and despair at the hands of this deadly disease and I have a great sponsor and a sober network of close friends to thank for that. I haven’t looked back ever since and I hope you won’t either.

~God bless~