Notices

Husband got into my God box and read everything

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Husband got into my God box and read everything

I know I have posted about him and the situations I have been dealing with, but has anyone ever had this happen? I had stuff in there about him and he got his feelings hurt about it.

I feel like trust has been broken. I threw all of the notes away, but I plan to re-write them and hide the box. I felt such a sense of peace after writing them.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No experience with husbands to share about but
my :God Can" also gave me peace.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my g/f wrote in her journal when I had done something hurtful to her (usually while I was under the influence of alcohol). I really don't think the ends justify the means (aka I wasn't supposed to discover her notes in the first place as they were private). Still, some of the things she wrote about me and our relationship still sting.

I try and think of it that she needs an outlet. I'd rather she critic my behavior via journal than to her friends & family as I'd have a tougher time trying to repair those relationships.

I think your personal notes are your property. It's often cathartic for people to write down your thought to express your feelings.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry he did that...if someone were to. Read my private thoughts I would be incensed.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I have a journal, on the first page of that journal is a warning that these are my thoughts, some of them I believe, some I do not. They are to best of my ability unfiltered and unchallenged as I write them down. If you are reading this journal without my explicit permission, you are doing so against my wishes and I take no responsibility for your reaction to those thoughts. Everyone in my home, knows what the journal is, and that I would prefer it remain private.

If you have clearly explained to your husband that you do wish him to read the contents of the box, whatever reaction he has to it is not your problem, it is his. Hiding the box is a poor solution IMO.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this happened.

I think it's just one more form of abuse that he is using on you.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry this happened to you. The same thing happened to me but it was my mother. She came into my apartment and searched my private belongings in the bathroom where I had my notes hidden. They included very private feelings including a note I was writing to my ex girlfriend who suffered severe brain damage and cannot leave a bed in a nursing home. I want you to know that I admire you and your strength. Probably the only reason I did not hit my mother is that she is a woman when this happened. If it was a man I fear to think what my reaction would have been. Anyway its your husband so try to follow your heart and work through this. I was not as strong as you in other ways. If I remember right, not only did I not write my feelings down again, but I ended up drinking over this. Even now I feel intense anger stirring inside me.. so I am going to change my mind over to another topic. But I want you to know I truly admire you and the restraint you have shown. Please keep doing what you are doing.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that he had no right to disrespect your privacy...and then he has the audacity to tell you that his feelings are hurt????

this is all on him..how would he like it if you did the same?....keep your thoughts password protected.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Bad move on his part. I'd be mad and feel betrayed and violated.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

he got his feelings hurt about it.
Well shame on him! IF he brings it up again, tell him he has broken your trust and it is his own fault for reading your PERSONAL writings.

Then walk away.

I would not hide my GOD BOX. I would hope that he got the message, it's none of his business.

J M H O

Congrats on your recovery!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

So sorry this happened...I fear it would be divorce court for us if hubby ever read some of my thoughts regarding our relationship even tho I love him to death. I too keep mine password protected as someone else mentioned...tho this makes me worry that one day the whole world could read them. As if I'm that important but you know what I mean lol...hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post
I know I have posted about him and the situations I have been dealing with, but has anyone ever had this happen? I had stuff in there about him and he got his feelings hurt about it.

I feel like trust has been broken. I threw all of the notes away, but I plan to re-write them and hide the box. I felt such a sense of peace after writing them.
This is bad. Very bad. Lets take a look at the thinking here. He violates your privacy, your private thoughts. Instead of having some shame for doing this, he regards your boundaries with such contempt that he then tells you about his violation and then goes even further by declaring his own victimhood in the incident.

This is some sick stuff. He's going to hold you accountable for your personal thoughts? Violating a boundary like this is playing God with another person.

You are in a pretty bad place here.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

As everyone has said it's terrible if he knowingly read items from your secret God box.

That being said, and I am not a marriage counselor, nor am I a woman, but secret feelings kept from your significant other I feel are almost as bad for a relationship as someone who would go out of their way to read them.

I have found in my 21 year relationship, (16 year marriage), that open communication is the key to a healthy successful relationship. I found this out the hard way by disengaging from my marriage during the middle years when we were going through some tough times, and we were living more like bickering roommates than a married couple with 2 children. My alcohol issues did not help our communication, and then some very hurtful and damaging things that were supposedly secret got found out.

This is when we had to decide as a couple whether we were going to weather the storm, or whether were going to call it quits. We decided to make it work, for us and for our kids. The first order of business was getting rid of all of the secrets. This was a long process but it opened up our lines of communication and we hold nothing back, (accept the alcohol when I was drinking, I was a dumb ass). This was a hard process at first, but as we learned more about the person we were living with that had evolved since our marriage began, we became better friends than ever. She is able to tell me her inner most thoughts, and I do my best to listen and understand, and she does the same for me. It made me realize that being in a successful marriage takes daily work, much like recovery, but it has been well worth it.

As a husband, I will not say what he did was right, because it did invade your privacy, but I will also say as a husband, secrets aren't allowed in my home, first off curiousity killed the cat, and secondly it's not healthy for damaging, hurtful, information to be kept secret in a lifetime partnership. The more stuff we hide and let fester the more chance of those things bringing the relationship down and ultimately destroying it.

I apologize if this attitude comes off as harsh, it wasn't meant to be and I am only speaking from my own experience.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It has happened to me before...to me its just showing no respect for my personal boundaries...If I can't have ONE thing to myself...then it's time for a talk....
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Everyone is entitled to their own personal thoughts. Writing those thoughts down can be very cathartic. No one has the right to take it upon themselves to read them. It's like breaking into someone's diary. It's just not done.

There is a difference in not having secrets and not being allowed to have personal thoughts. No one is entitled to know my personal thoughts unless I wish to share them. That includes husbands.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a book, called "psycho cybernetics". (self image)
Somewhere in that book ( I don't have the book anymore) it notes about even our own children are entitled to that "space" of their own.
Psycho-Cybernetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may well do you both to have a read, so then you both understand the concept of that "private room", as the book writes it, I think.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That have must have been very difficult to deal with.

You are not responsible for his feelings.

I hope you can find some peace, whatever happens.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Re:Husband got into my God box and read everything

"I think your personal notes are your property. It's often cathartic for people to write down your thoughts to express your feelings".
~Mercurial Me~

Amen...I suggest you find an alternative hiding place for your journals until your husband can fully understand the meaning of the word "privacy". He doesn't understand the closure we feel when writing about our troubles instead of drinking over them. We're alcoholics and one of the best alternatives -I found- to combat this disease is talking or writing about our dilemmas instead of drinking over them. He needs to live in our shoes for just one day to fully grasp the severity of what he's done. I would find a suitable hiding place -until then.

~God bless~
Old 04-11-2011, 02:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I'm with everyone else who said that it is not ok at all that your husband first violated your trust and then had the nerve to complain about what he read. I don't think I would have stayed as calm as you did.

Writing is a way to vent about things without having to hurt someone verbally and is cathartic. I remember writing some pretty bad things about people when I was upset about their actions, but that it was out of question to say those things to them. Not to keep any secrets from them, but because I knew that these were "angry thoughts" and that later, with a bit of distance", I would think differently about it. So writing it down was also a way to protect my personal relationships from harm.

Question is:Why did he do it in the first place? Curiosty or even mistrust, or is he trying to control you? I would ask him, becase honestly this just added some new trust issues. If he really has some trust issues himself , the route would be to talk to you, not to read your personal notes behind your back.

If your husband fails to understand that everyone needs a private space exactly for these reasons, it's really time to talk. He shouldn't confuse the need for some privacy with keeping secrets; everybody deserves a little personal space, even without any justification.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for posting. It really pissed me off and I needed to vent.