Notices

Japan.....really, again????

Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Japan.....really, again????

all I can say is.......PLEASE GIVE. This is awful.......like they ain't been through enough.......my god.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

....and people wonder, "why does he drink"..........geeze.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No wondering why we drink, we drink because we are alcoholics.

And, our drinking won't do anything to help the poor people of Japan.

Prayers for them..and the still suffering alcoholics.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello.

The tragedies in Japan currently are truly incomprehensible, my thoughts go out to everybody that's had their life turned upside down.

But, what does this have to do with drinking alcohol?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I drank over horrible things happening I'd be drunk all the time. I choose not to react that way to disasters, internal or external.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so sad. I have a friend of mine that is still drinking over 9/11, and the oil spill in the Gulf...it's just insane.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I wanted to I could find reasons every day to drink - I drank through 9/11 and the first gulf war, several child abductions and a number of natural disasters....

I didn't change any of that. I never even tried.
I just sat self indulgently in front of my TV set crying into my beer.

That's not the legacy I want to leave.

I'm a better man sober...I figure I'll be more useful helping others sober than I was be numbing myself to the horrors of the world.

Bad things happen - these days I think thats a clarion call for good people to step up, not run away.

D
Old 04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe if you did volunteer work you might not feel so overwhelmed by these things.

Turn off the TV...get sober and help others...sounds pretty good
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ya know there are tragedys every single day. None of them are worth getting drunk over. Ive learned that the hard way. Turn off the TV already! Dont read news on the internet. You need help FOR YOU! In the condition you are in you cant help the guy that was beaten at the baseball game or the people in Japan.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The media those pieces of dog **** they want you to live in fear and sorrow. Guess what its a big planet someone is getting a stick shoved up their ass somewhere every minute of the day. I can't do anything about that. What I can do is help other alcoholics. What I can do is help my family by not getting drunk and losing my job and wrecking my car and flying off the handle for no reason. What I can do is be there for people in need that I see every day even if its just to listen and try to carrying them through a dark moment. For ***** sake can you imagine if they had CNN and Fox News back during the dark ages how depressing that **** would be. "Today a village of 5000 was raped and burned alive, many cruicified. Turning to local news, one man has his hands cut off for stealing bread and another is decapitated for the same offense. Is it fair they get different punishments? We explore tonight at 7!".

Seriously, this bs has been going on since people figured out they can use fear to control the populace and its probably never going to stop even as we master space exploration.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"There is a saying in Tibetan, 'Tragedy should be utilized as a source of strength.' No matter what sort of difficulties, or how painful the experience is, if we lose our hope, that's our real disaster."

- Dalai Lama XIV

I've leveraged many horrible tragedies into justified benders and they never led to anything but more harm done. Pain is inherent to life, added suffering is not.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Re: Japan

I'll keep praying...God knows they need us too.

~God bless~
Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

After 9/11 my weekly binge drinking turned to daily drinking. I would watch the news every night and try to drink away the pain. Now that I'm sober, I still watch some news, but I don't obsess about it. The news people are just doing their jobs. It's up to me how much I let it affect me.