Notices

Anxiety/Panic Attacks from Hangover

Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I use Valarian root capsules for my anxiety. You can get them at any health or vitamin shop. they are not expensive. They really work or I wouldn't post this
Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Here I am laying in bed and waiting. I know it will come. I know it’s coming like an overwhelming tsunami. It usually comes 12 hours after my last drink. Last night I went to the bar and had few too many. Woke up and saw empty beer cans on the table which meant that after bar I went to the store and drank more beers at home. Woke up with major headache and knew the panic attack will come. 7:30 am I am at wawa buying beer to calm me down. Drank 5 beers in 4 hours and went too sleep. Now I am waiting. At 12 midnight will be exactly 12 hours after my last beer. I am praying, I am scared , I am alone. I have Xanax handy but I am afraid to use it because of damage to my liver that it will do. Please God help me. I always say it’s my last time and I am 49.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
Did anyone else get the racing heart/panic along with muscle spasms/jerkiness?
Always at night, and always when you're lying down trying to sleep.
I did. Regular as clockwork. Somewhere around 2:30 in the morning. Racing heart. Then anxiety about the racing heart. Then insomnia caused by racing heart. Sometimes racing heart was accompanied by chest pain. Am I having a heart attack? That's always fun.

I had only one episode of heart racing after I stopped drinking, but I attribute it to the couple of tokes of weed I had the same night, which can also bring on panic attacks. That was a one-off as I'm not really a pot smoker, and now I just say no thanks when it's offered. It's just not worth it to party like it's 1999.
So many things to not worry about when you don't drink. It's freeing.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
This thread is truly amazing. Thank you all for sharing. I have suffered from anxiety attacks for so many years now. Looking back I am sure a majority of the anxiety and panic resulted from drinking. I now have hope that without alcohol my anxiety may lessen or even completely go away.
Yep! I've had sober time to reflect on that, and I think that alcohol only exacerbated the low-grade depression and anxiety issues I had for over 20 years. I feel much calmer w/out alcohol than I did drinking. Much less anxiety.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Just reading through this takes me back to my drinking days. It has been several years but I remember the panic/anxiety like it was yesterday. Absolutely crippling is how it got for me. Then I became crazy by taking more of the stuff that made me have such anxiety in hopes the anxiety would lessen. That’s a terrible place to be and totally unnecessary to do to oneself. I live with some anxiety daily now but it is nothing compared to darkness of active alcoholism. Thanks for the reminder everyone.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

During one of my last hangovers I googled "panic attacks while hungover" and found this thread. Then I joined this site. I read, I posted and I had Day 1 after Day 1. Then 1 day, 4 years ago it stuck and I haven't drank since.

If you're finding this thread during an awful panic-induced hangover please know there's hope in quitting for good. You can do it! I believe in you!

So grateful and thankful for SR.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Yes I think i got a month of solid alcohol panic attacks benzo are not a good friend.