Notices

Withdrawal?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal?

Hey all! I recently started to quit drinking a couple days ago, and I dont notice anything along the lines of the DTs. I have major insomnia and get this jerk with a falling sensation whenever Im ABOUT to fall asleep. As you all could imagine that gets annoying really quick. But another thing I noticed -- on my sleepless nights im usually watching tv. Problem is thats not much better. I find out that various shows startle me as soon as something sudden happens. Were not talking horror here, We're talking about something like superman. Also i jump (get startled) even if my roommate flushes the toilet or turns on the shower in the bathroom next door. Has anyone ever been through this? This is a scary process. I know people cant typically give medical advice, what did you guys do if you had to go through this. And I know it goes without saying, but I'm not/didnt go to a detox. Thanks all.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ror

I went through the exact same sensation you are describing when trying to fall asleep after I quit. It was awful, I didn't sleep for two nights straight. By the third night sleep started to come back but I still woke up constantly. It took me about a month before my sleep returned to normal. At 107 days I sleep through the night almost every night, something that I never did when I was drinking.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Has anyone ever been through this? This is a scary process. I know people cant typically give medical advice, what did you guys do if you had to go through this. And I know it goes without saying, but I'm not/didnt go to a detox.

Ok, I never done detox, etc etc etc,

I was taught by some hard drinkers back in the drinking days when it was "fun" to go all the way, how to get the "horror show", then laugh about it when we came through.
Problem is, some don't make it through. So it was no fun anymore.

I dried out......lots and lots of water, think of a car radiator being flushed.

The mind stuff; enjoy the show, you are probably going through the "horrors", sort of a cheap acid trip. Don't do it too often, or it can go to "wet brain".

Keep drinking water, breakfast serial with fresh fruit,good quality soy milk, shower-get cleaned up then go out and get some sunlight and walk so the sugar burns off to.

Sleeping,
what sleep? ya going through the horrors,superman, whatever.
Remember that's all it is a "show", you are not "superman".

I am no doctor, but I know one thing about not doing detox, meds, I *know* where I'm at, it was drinking, alcohol.
It will go away eventually.

The question is, what do you want to do about your drinking after all this phase is over?
or
tell us your "superman horror story" if you want.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please take the time to read this...it has info and some of
our expierences about de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Glad to know you are interested in living sober
it's so worthwhile....
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I remember being easily startled, easily overwhelmed, and easily irritated for the first week especially. I got through it by keeping things as simple as possible - it really does get better!:ghug3
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was pretty jumpy when I stopped drinking. It did go away, but I was startled easily. I chalked it up to withdrawal. Hang in there! It does get better.

Best Wishes To You! :ghug3
Old 04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Seize The Day

I too would jerk or have sudden movements right after I fell asleep. I also had the shakes and actual body tremors pretty bad for the first 3 days of withdrawals.

I am currently writing a book about my experienc as an alcoholic and a portion of it is dedicated soley to withdrawal symptoms and things that you can take or do to help you through the process.

Hang in there.

Carpe Diem
"Seize the Day"
Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I shook so bad the muscles in my shoulders were sore from the shaking, and was also very jumpy for the first week without alcohol. I couldn't handle loud noises or crowded places at all, it does get better with time. Take care of yourself with a good diet, exercise and keep coming back to SR when you are struggling.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Matt M

100% with the jerking/muscle spasm thing, I had that on and off for over a year along with a racing heart and what felt like panic attacks. Then came hallucinations and then came hospital.
If you stop drinking and last 2/3 days after then you're pretty much clear of the danger of alcohol withdrawal seizures.
But when I had a slip-up a while ago I had the same sensations again and I was VERY worried because of what happened last year, so basically I didn't/couldn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights until I was sure I wasn't going to have another seizure.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"The question is, what do you want to do about your drinking after all this phase is over?
or
tell us your "superman horror story" if you want."

----- Well to be honest, its the worst its been, so its fear thats stopping me. They say going to meetings and FOLLOWING the suggestions is something else to do. Ill do what I have to do. If others can do it, I can to.

Part 2 -- Part 2 I was using that as an example. It wasnt the movie itself, it was just the fact that when some scenes changed i JUMPED since the volume always changes. Dont take for a smarta** at that comment...but for me its the last thing that'll leave it feels. Regardlesss if that becomes a problem, ill work on that after this.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are really having trouble go to the ER, they will likely give you medication to help you. These are very typical withdrawal symptoms, and they are treatable. Most importantly, don't give in and try to alleviate them by drinking some more!

GG
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Re:Withdrawal?

Welcome...cpop86

I don't have any medical advice for you but a substance abuse physician might. My suggestion...set up an appointment, if you are still experiencing those awkward moments. Welcome...though

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What you have to watch out for is,
believing your own insanity. It's very tricky.

For me at one stage, somehow I remembered something I asked someone about the Bible, I simply asked their opinion, and they simply said to treat it as history book. But, at the very least, check out the Ten Commandments.
I remember hiring the movie rather than read it.

Well, 20 years later I was at one of those situations my mind was telling me all sorts of things, and on the other side, the 10 Commandments were "rules", like a tug of war in my head.
I broke nearly every "rule", I stole, I lied, and other stuff that I put in my 4th step recently.
However, some of those "rules" kept me honest when push came to shove. I played lots and lots of music, and kept the "show" in my head.

Then it repeats itself. By the time I realized it repeated so many times, life had simply gone past me and I was in a time warp, based on the same song/s I played over and over again, wishing time could hold still.

At rock bottom of rock bottom, that moment of clarity, none of all this mattered, alcohol has no "rules".

Every one had moved on, "the party" so to speak was over and suddenly realize that life *is* too short.