Notices

resentment..

Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

resentment..

in the A.A. Big Book they say it is the #1 offender.. what has been your experience with resentment and drinking? i believe when we harbor too much resentment it is very dangerous to our sobriety..
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Resentment? As it pertains to people who drink normally or life in general?

I'm sure I occasionally ha e a little resentment...most likely directed at my family. But its pretty mild and I would say its not a huge factor for me ....I would rank it pretty low on my list of areas to work on.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Plus I make gratitude a major priority in my life...I think that negates resentment and a whole lot of other problems as well )
Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Resentment? As it pertains to people who drink normally or life in general?

I'm sure I occasionally ha e a little resentment...most likely directed at my family. But its pretty mild and I would say its not a huge factor for me ....I would rank it pretty low on my list of areas to work on.
LaFemme: i was thinking about "us" (Alcoholics) Harboring resentments mostly..
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you holding a resentment against someone or
something today 24hrsADay? Is it eating away at
you? Interupting your serenity? Does it have something
to do with work, maybe family issues, something
that happened in the past?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aasharon90 View Post
Are you holding a resentment against someone or
something today 24hrsADay? Is it eating away at
you? Interupting your serenity? Does it have something
to do with work, maybe family issues, something
that happened in the past?
i have ongoing issues with my family of origin.. this has been the case since before i even got sober. just looking for other folks experience with resentment sharon.. thanks.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Resentment has been a big problem for me. The Big Book says that it is the number one offender, and for me that is true. Before joining AA I hadn't thought of one of my relapse triggers as coming from resentment. That analysis has really helped me to understand resentment and throught the 12 steps, deal with it.

Drinking when you feel resentment towards another person really illustrates the insanity that is alcoholism. It's like drinking posion and expecting the other person to die.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

right Zebra.. i'll show you i'll Kill me! it Is Insanity!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's something I struggle with a lot - since becoming sober I know when I'm beginning to feel it and I try very hard to push it away - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is very hard to forgive some people, but I know that wishing ill on them is not bothering them, only me!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coolmummy View Post
It's something I struggle with a lot - since becoming sober I know when I'm beginning to feel it and I try very hard to push it away - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is very hard to forgive some people, but I know that wishing ill on them is not bothering them, only me!
yes.. Exactly! thank you Coolmummy!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

I am here to testify resentment could have killed me. I resented an abusive stepson who stole all he could from his mother and me, and also beat his mother.

Me, a stranger in a strange land with cheap vodka, and a drinking habit to begin with. Could have killed myself to spite him (he would be consenting!).

Long story short, with friends help here at SR, I resolved to forgive the (36 Y.O.) boy. He is sick in ways I do not understand. I sometimes now find it in my heart to pray for him.

Might write a blog sometime... not yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

On page 552...in our AA BB...are clear directions for dealing
with resentments.

The sooner I apply that .the better I feel...

Prayers coming your way for peace of mind my SR friends
Old 04-06-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi 24hrs. Resentment is something I think about a lot. I've been able to forgive some pretty big things, but oddly enough, some of the smaller ones are harder to get rid of. What helps me is to remember that whoever did whatever it was is just a flawed person (like me). No one is perfect. Trying to remember that can help me be empathetic and deal with the resentment. It's an ongoing process for me.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for thread, I learn so much about myself here by seeing myself in the stories.
Its not high on the list but its something I carry toward my parents. I need to work on letting go of that :-)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
On page 552...in our AA BB...are clear directions for dealing
with resentments.

The sooner I apply that .the better I feel...
I'm not saying that "praying for the other person" isn't a great thing to do Carol......but the AA program does NOT have clear cut instructions for dealing with resentments on page 552.

The only instructions that are part of the AA program for dealing with resentments are on pages 64 - 67.

I don't mean to be a nit-picker but lets not confuse people more than they are already about AA. THE PROGRAM is in the first 164 pages.

The stories in the back of the book have some fabulous and wonderful suggestions.....there are things in there (like p552) that I practice regularly every day.......but they're not "the AA program."

And as to the original post - resentments -

AmericanGirl gave us the definition: Resentment is something I think about a lot (it's feelings that we re-feel)

The warning in the AA book is that resentment is the number one offender and that it (resentment) destroys more alcoholics than anything else (even alcohol.... very interesting....it destroys more of us than ANYTHING else including alcohol --- now that's something to consider when yer walkin' around with some resentments thinking it's not a big deal). It goes on to say that a life lived in deep resentment can only lead to futility and unhappiness - blocked and separated from the one Power I need in my life.

Get me unhappy, frustrated and feeling separated for too long and guess what? The sound of that next first drink starts to make sense again and I've already proven I can't keep myself sober on my own or of my own power.

I know this isn't the "AA section" of this forum but there are some very simple and specific guidelines on how they (the first 100 who wrote the book) successfully dealt with and got beyond the fatal nature of resentments.

Work on that stuff first.....then mix in the other outside suggestions if you still need to.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Resentment is simply another emotion we humans have to deal with..alcoholic or not. I didn't need a resentment to drink..
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

AmericanGirl gave us the definition: Resentment is something I think about a lot (it's feelings that we re-feel)

Hi DT - A little clarification of my post is needed . . . I wasn't trying to define resentment, just saying that I think about the concept of resentment a lot, because I do think it's a serious concern in recovery . . . I was very vague there!

I do think that resentment being defined as "feelings we re-feel" is a cool definition.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Seize The Day

I too harbour some resentment towards certain individuals that supposedly love me but have made absolutely no attempt at trying to understand or comprehend in "any" way this disease called "alcoholism."

What keeps me going is AA, the support of those that are trying to understand and support my efforts, all of those who I have befriended in AA and ALWAYS, EVERY DAY, taking the time to acknowledge all the many things in this life that I have to be "grateful" for.

Hang in there!

Carpe Diem
"Seize the Day"
Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi 24-

Let's first look at what a resentment actually is...

–noun
the feeling of displeasure or indignation at some act, remark, person, etc., regarded as causing injury or insult.
— n
anger, bitterness, or ill will
—Synonyms
dudgeon, pique, irritation, envy, jealousy

Heck yes! I'm an AA'er and before working step 4 I didn't think I had any resentments, but after doing step 4 it turns out I was full of resentments. I was shocked, but it's true. The rest of the steps gave me clear directions on how to get rid of my old resentments and how to take care of new ones right away.

...and yes, of course resentments are common in being a human, not just an alcoholic, but for us alcoholics, these resentments are deadly b/c they can and will cause us to drink.

Kjell~
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Carpediem1 View Post
I too harbour some resentment towards certain individuals that supposedly love me but have made absolutely no attempt at trying to understand or comprehend in "any" way this disease called "alcoholism."
Keep working those steps Carp and this will change.

Kjell~