Notices

Relapse on A&E

Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse on A&E

Did anyone catch this show last night? It was the season opener. What are your thoughts on the show, or this type of show in general (such as Intervention)?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It was scary to me since I relapsed last weekend. I thought Seth the sober coach was a cool dude
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I saw bits and pieces and I liked it, although I imagine actual video of people using or drinking could be a trigger for others.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think these shows exploit people with addictions...these so called reality shows can sometimes do more harm than good.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i watched part of it and it occurred to me that if someone was punching holes in my car and house, they would be gone to live elsewhere, not the 2 little kids.

I do not know if they show the whole picture in these shows.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that if someone showed me a video of some of the antics I pulled while drinking I would have made the effort to quit much sooner.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i've relapsed hard a few times. i refuse to watch a show that exploits people with real problems and in a lot of pain. i've gone through that and i'm sure many of you have as well. thats not something that should be shown on tv in my opinion.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sph1982 View Post
i've relapsed hard a few times. i refuse to watch a show that exploits people with real problems and in a lot of pain. i've gone through that and i'm sure many of you have as well. thats not something that should be shown on tv in my opinion.
I agree that it seems to exploit. Especially when you consider how little people know about addiction.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Funny how it is always a matter of perception.

I do not see this as exploiting at all. They are offering these folks help, support and a new way of life.

I see it as offering hope to those out there that feel they can not get sober. There is hope for every alcoholic/addict.

I saw the show. I thought it was great but emotionally exhausting.
I was a little frustrated with the fact that they are doing this in one week and pushing through because of that time deadline.
For instance, trying to mend a relationship with your father with 3 days sobriety seemed silly and pointless but to each his own.

I got sober almost three years ago and I have not had to relapse. But none of us are immune and truly, it is good for me to see how hard it is to get sober again, for some. That could be me if I choose to pick up.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I think these shows also help remind me that "there but for the grace of God go I"... I know reality shows cut, edit, and do what makes for good TV, so I watch with a grain of salt. I do love to see that those of all addictions CAN do it... What's the BB say? "Many of them CAN and DO recover if they have the capacity to be honest..."
Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I definately agree with the people that think these shows exploit the people they potray. I also feel like these types show spread all kinds of disinformation about the diseases they showcase. However, my opinion is often wrong and if this show or others like it help someone with their recovery...than more power to them.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think the one good thing that comes of the shows is the fact that most of the people end up getting some top-notch professional help. Help they may not get without the assistance of the show.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Its heartwarming to see people finally get help when they look like to be on the edge of dying a horrible death in active addiction. It is extremely intense to watch tho. Exploiting them because of their addiction or liberating them from their addiction, It depends on ones POV I guess.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

" watched part of it and it occurred to me that if someone was punching holes in my car and house, they would be gone to live elsewhere, not the 2 little kids."

Fandy...true story! Just to let everyone in on a little secret..If you run into a nutbird that is a wall puncher...YOU are next. Wall punchers and animal abusers = get out while the gettin is good!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't look at Intervention or Relapse as exploiting. I am on the side of learning all I can about addictions. They don't sugar coat it either.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Re:Relapse on A&E

Pure exploitation...simply put. I will not exploit this disease any further, since it has exploited us for way too long...enough said..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Enjoying Sobriety

Interesting how our opinions differ about the exploitation. The coolest thing is we (I hope) respect each others' opinions regardless of our point of view. That, in itself, is a blessing to me.

In a way, it may be exploiting them but in my eyes, that is such a small price to pay to get real professional help! I believe it is good for families of alcoholics/addicts to see these shows too. I think if you are in their shoes, you need to realize that others have to go through this too. Who knows? Maybe it will encourage the families to join a support group or Al-Anon or something.

It is very emotionally draining for me to watch because I so relate to almost all alcoholics and addicts on Intervention and so far, on Relapse. A little painful, sometimes I cry, but it helps me to remember where I came from and not to "rest on my laurels".
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well I didn't really like Relapse, it seemed kind of fake. It was definitely no Intervention. I love Intervention, I start crying at the end of every show :'(. Seeing their success stories is inspirational. The show has helped a lot of people recover, I really hope it's not exploiting people, afterall, they did sign on. I read a few of them are now speakers and they are trying to help other ppl recover. Plus, many of their lives are better because of the show.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well as someone who had a "one night relapse" recently (I like to sugar code it) the guy on there said something that really stuck on out and the words are still with me. He was talking about the Alcoholic and said "character is not succeeding the first time but what you do the 6th or 7th time”
I mean I want my second time to be the last and am confident it will be. I’m bad about comparing everything to jiujitsu but I know my coaches and teammates respect me more than most because I always get back up and fight no matter what and they said that is my strongest quality. Like I said I don’t ever want to fall back down in sobriety but getting back up right away is important. Everyone on here and in AA are my “teammates” of sobriety so thank you for the support on here.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
Well as someone who had a "one night relapse" recently (I like to sugar code it) the guy on there said something that really stuck on out and the words are still with me. He was talking about the Alcoholic and said "character is not succeeding the first time but what you do the 6th or 7th time”
I mean I want my second time to be the last and am confident it will be. I’m bad about comparing everything to jiujitsu but I know my coaches and teammates respect me more than most because I always get back up and fight no matter what and they said that is my strongest quality. Like I said I don’t ever want to fall back down in sobriety but getting back up right away is important. Everyone on here and in AA are my “teammates” of sobriety so thank you for the support on here.
Very well put. Falling down is not a bad thing. You just have to do two things: (1) get back up and (2) learn why you fell the previous time.