Notices

I'm finally trying something new...

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm finally trying something new...

After 9 months of sobriety last year, I turned 21 in November, needless to say, I caved. I caved hard, and turned back to the bottle almost 3 days after turning 21, I ended up in a bar with my friends, and I was confident I wouldn't drink. Yet, something came over me, and I had a Blue moon, lucky me, it was happy hour, so I got another for free. Next thing you know, I'm at the liquor store buying a 12 pack, and I killed them all that night. Since then it has been rough, binging all night, and waking up to drink more.

It sucks, because I was doing so well, before I got sober in March, I was pounding mouthwash daily, and any thing I could get my hands on, I went to jail, went through harsh with drawl, and thought I learned my lesson after 3 months in there, I got out, and did so well, got a job, and remained sober until November.

Well, as we all know, you have to hit some low point again, before wanting to get sober, last week, I woke up at 9 am, to 2 full pitbulls, and a crazy stallion 40, I drank all 3 before 1 in the after noon, and left to go get more around 2, I got on the bus, got to my favorite liquor store, bought more, and drank one on the way back to the bus stop, somewhere in that time, walking and drinking, I completely blacked out, and ended up in the hospital with a busted lip, getting stitches, when I asked what happened, I was told that I was found face down in a puddle of blood on a busy street at 3pm, I was unconscious for almost an hour, laying in the street.

After stitches, I knew I was headed for detox, for the 5th time. I was very embarrassed to find out that my family had been contacted, who all think I'm doing fairly well with drinking, but they found the truth out, the hard way. They all knew I was an alcoholic, even before this. I know now, that I can't beat this alone, I've tried several times and failed, I finally attended my first meeting last Friday, and since I spend a lot of time on the internet, I figured I would join this group, and share with you what has been going on. I hope this is the last time I need to try and get sober. I'm finally turning to other groups, and reaching out, because I obviously can't do it alone.

Success is what I'm aiming for this time, and pure sobriety, I can't keep hurting myself, my friends, and my family most of all.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Domsux. You can do this!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Welcome! I am glad that you found your way to SR, it's a great place here
-Jess
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm glad your getting help!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Many of us are winning over alcohol...and so can you!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Domsux138 View Post
...I finally attended my first meeting last Friday, and since I spend a lot of time on the internet, I figured I would join this group, and share with you what has been going on.
Equipping yourself to succeed.

Well done, smartly done.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome - glad you're here! Thanks for sharing your story, too - sounds like a definite wake-up call.....

You're right that none of us can do this on our own. There's great support here, so hang around and keep posting/reading.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. How was your first meeting?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the support, and welcomes, everyone!
My first meeting went well.
I've read The Big Book long before going to the meeting, almost 2 years ago, so I kind of had an idea of what I was going into.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Domsux138 View Post
Success is what I'm aiming for this time, and pure sobriety, I can't keep hurting myself, my friends, and my family most of all.
This and forgiving myself for things in the past were the only reason I was able to get sober.

If left to my own devices and "doing it for me", I never would have had any degree of success.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-04-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Domsux,

In a perverse way you are lucky that you have such horrendous consequences when you drink...even at your young age of 21. You know you cant drink...PERIOD. Unlike many of us who can drink sometimes, perhaps even most times without all hell breaking loose, you can't!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am just glad that you are ok..coulda ended up worse than a busted lip..Glad you joined us. I like the part where you can log on any time day or night and someone is here.

Blackouts are very frightning. I have had a few..and I have taken a few spills one of which I landed in the rose bushes. I tipped over off the front porch. Unidentified bruises were a daily thing. I think I am really lucky because some of the situations I ended up in could have been really bad. Well..one WAS really bad. While actively drinking..you don't think about anything except yourself. Some things I should apologize for but I was so drunk I don't know what I did!! Good to be out of that drunken insanity.

Nothing ..and I mean NOTHING feels as good as sobriety now! I wish you well! You can do this.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillnotdrinkin View Post
Domsux,

In a perverse way you are lucky that you have such horrendous consequences when you drink...even at your young age of 21. You know you cant drink...PERIOD. Unlike many of us who can drink sometimes, perhaps even most times without all hell breaking loose, you can't!
I've heard this before, and I agree. Thank you, btw.
These consequences are always the reason I try to get sober again, if they didn't happen, I would continue binging.
I have many war stories with blackouts, once I start I can't stop.
I will never be able to drink like a normal person. It just isn't possible, need to quit this.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Re:I'm finally trying something new...

Welcome back...We will be here to support you every step of the way.