Notices
View Poll Results: What do you do creatively?
Paint and/or draw
19.35%
Photography
11.83%
Write
32.26%
Sculpt
0%
Other
29.03%
Nothing
7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Creatives on SR

Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Creatives on SR

Just wondering how many of us there are. I often think it fueled my drinking in a way. Painting is so emotional for me, I can get overcome by emotion and escaping into a bottle seemed like a good idea once upon a time. Also, there is the whole myth of the tortured addictive artist.

So how many of us call ourselves creatives...you don't need to be making a living at it, just doing it
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And just to share...one of my paintings

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautiful painting, you are very talented.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

omg that is awesome!!!!

Yeah I'm creative, however I'm a burnt out production artist/graphic designer...ugh
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I play guitar/harmonica and sing... In the style of Rev. Gary Davis a la Ramblin Jack and Jorma Kaukonen... The blueses...

I sound better sober, though I didn't know that before ... LOL
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I actually used to paint, draw and write. Gave it all up for booze. Started drawing again but painting is my first love - it is just too expensive and I am short on studio space.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Beautiful picture LaFemme.

I used to feel creative when I was drinking/using, but I never had the courage to actually try to paint, or draw, or play an instrument (I'd just rearrange the house or do some landscaping).

...but now that I'm sober, I'm learning to play the guitar, but if that doesn't stick or I just don't like it, something tells me I'll continue to learn new things and have the courage to try.

Another benefit of sobriety.

Kjell~
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Sorry to see engineering isn't included in the choices, and I don't think my photographs are creative, just well framed. My mother liked my photos, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell.

I'll have to vote "other".
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

You are truely an artist LF, is that airbrush work? Simply interested from an egineering standpoint. Ha!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a beautiful painting... and the eyes of ages in one so young!

I'm a writer, written a few books... written some aspiring but ordinary poems, historically

with the help of the those two liquorary gentlemen, Jack Daniels and John Walker.

Love the poets of the Beat Generation and Dylan Thomas.

Love music and play the guitar.

Just as a PS: Since I stopped drinking, I have absolute writer's block.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LaFemme-that is beautiful! I write (in case my name didn't give me away). I am also an art fanatic.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What a great thread to start!

That side of me was, I also thought, fueled by my drinking & I've got that whole Tortured Artist Manifesto in my head as well.

And after a year (on the 6th!) of sobriety, I still struggle with some of the mediums I previously expressed myself in fluently. Part of it my head is still tangled & re-learning how to do things sober, I think. It's like my rhythm is all off.

My interests/hobbies are music, sketching, painting, photography, & writing. I've got the music & the photography coming back to me... haven't had the nerve to tackle the sketching or painting yet while clean. And the writing is just.... ugh. Not there. The words use to flow out with passion & zeal & writing was like breathing for me. That hasn't come back yet.

But the music was slow to come back too; that only just clicked maybe 3 months ago, really. I mean, to where I feel like I'm kinda almost in the Realm I used to take for granted musically~~ even my photographs feel 'off' to me sometimes, still. It bothers me, worries me.

I've discussed this with a Recovered in Australia who besides being a musician is also a luthier & he says it comes with time, the realization that what created the flame in the first place is still there, inside, & it takes drawing on other Muses to pull it out. And that the trade-off for that burning, soul-wrenching GRIP of passion zeroing in & taking you by the scruff of the neck suddenly being subdued is sanity & clarity & peace inside & that it's worth it.

Tortured Artist me has a running internal battle about that, but not giving up. : )
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OMG...I am sooo sorry! I forgot to include music...I was looking at the poll list and thinking...What am I forgetting...lol...deepest apologies...I can't paint without music so I am really sorry

I would love t see other visual artists work. Or if people want to share writing. I think that would be cool

Ste...I paint in oils, with brushes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

1096...what's a luthier?

I think I was also a bit scared of the art when i got sober, because I didn't want to be a tortured artist and derail my sobriety.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The most creative I had been recently is designing football plays, and I just started trying to learn the harmonica.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have never been musically inclined and really have no 'artistic' talent for painting, photographs or writing, however,

for many years now I have 'rehabilitated' rescue dogs that were deemed not rehomeable and horses with severe problems. I have taken great pleasure in bringing these animals around so they could have 'forever' homes. With the horses, it is more working with them and their owners to change bad habits and calm the animals down.

I do believe it is an HP given gift. My friends, both A's and Normies have a nickname for me ................... "Dog Magnet". roflmao It's true too, even the meanest dog, will look at me, sort of nod and come and sit by my side.

So, I do believe it is a gift and talent and I use it to this day. I work with 4H youngsters a lot and it gives me a lot of joy and a sense of accomplishment.

I did vote 'other.' lol

Love and hugs,
Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
I have never been musically inclined and really have no 'artistic' talent for painting, photographs or writing, however,

for many years now I have 'rehabilitated' rescue dogs that were deemed not rehomeable and horses with severe problems. I have taken great pleasure in bringing these animals around so they could have 'forever' homes. With the horses, it is more working with them and their owners to change bad habits and calm the animals down.

I do believe it is an HP given gift. My friends, both A's and Normies have a nickname for me ................... "Dog Magnet". roflmao It's true too, even the meanest dog, will look at me, sort of nod and come and sit by my side.

So, I do believe it is a gift and talent and I use it to this day. I work with 4H youngsters a lot and it gives me a lot of joy and a sense of accomplishment.

I did vote 'other.' lol

Love and hugs,
Nice...I love rescues...would like to foster some myself...all my pets are rescues, I wouldn't have it any other way. =)
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Laurie! That is an amazing talent Can I send my dogs to you for training!?!?!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I write poetry and various random ramblings, I like to call them I share with few, as they are so raw, full of emotional and so very personal. I found myself writing MUCH more often when drinking or high. Sadly I've had writer's block...for 2 years So I am focusing on organizing all of it to compile a couple of books to publish as ebooks at some point.
-Jess
Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I love photography...black and white for nature scenes, and love taking pics of animals!! their gentle little souls are easily captured!