Notices

Pink Cloud?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pink Cloud?

So, I feel RELIEF accepting step one, I feel like I have 100% accepted it instead of having that little portion in the back of my head that says "Well maybe some day"

Is this a pink cloud?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What is the "pink cloud"?

Then comes a day, followed by a series of days or weeks, where the addict or alcoholic experiences acceptance. He or she is excited at the prospect of what recovery from addiction and alcoholism has to offer and feel as if they have grasped what it takes to maintain quality recovery. All the work they have done in their addiction treatment center and self help group has paid off and they experience a reprieve from all the difficulties that have crossed their path. This reprieve, which is actually a feeling, lasts but for a period of time and as with any feeling, comes and goes. As this feeling of excitement and acceptance passes, the risk for relapse is great as the addict or alcoholic begin to doubt the quality of their recovery. They become scared and thoughts of their drug addiction or alcoholism reappear. Addicts and alcoholics will experience this "pink cloud" phenomenon many times in recovery. As their ability to cope with feelings and situations increase and they become more committed to their relapse prevention program, the less likely relapse is to occur.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Genjen View Post
So, I feel RELIEF accepting step one, I feel like I have 100% accepted it instead of having that little portion in the back of my head that says "Well maybe some day"

Is this a pink cloud?
No, friend, that feeling of relief is a glimpse of the rest of your life without alcohol.

Perhaps the intensity burns a bit less hot than in those very early days. But, the feeling of relief is definitely still with me. There's probably a "stages of love" analogy somewhere in there.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I'll be honest it's taken me all my life to get here. Last 4 years were the worst though...there has been a LOT of prayer going on from me and many others...I don't know what made me accept it but I did.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats GenJen, my fellow Marcher, YOU ROCK!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stacylove View Post
Congrats GenJen, my fellow Marcher, YOU ROCK!

Thanks lovie =)

Well whatever it is I'm going to enjoy it for now...it is exciting...I've let go of my last vice...besides nicotine of course...in time.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there. Like all the steps, they evolve for me over time. My understanding of step 1 has changed throughout my recovery. My understanding of "the pink cloud" is a very positive sense of well being and being cured. The whole "I feel great, and I'll never want to drink again". A certain type of "over-confience".

I try and strive for the feeling that the pink cloud gives us, without the complacency of "I'm cured". I might call it a "pink hot air balloon"... lol....

Just my two cents... Glad you have accepted step 1. It sounds so easy, but to really get a good understanding of it and internalizing it takes some time.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My pink clouds are when I feel an intense hopefulness attitude about my future life. But like Ranger wrote:
Perhaps the intensity burns a bit less hot than in those very early days
I still can maintain my hopeful attitude tho.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
My pink clouds are when I feel an intense hopefulness attitude about my future life. But like Ranger wrote:

I still can maintain my hopeful attitude tho.
Me too...I am very hopeful =)
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Where did that definition come from, Suki?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's something I have saved from long ago. I don't remember exactly where I got it. I think I just googled "pink cloud regarding alcoholism."
Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My pink cloud has been sailing right along for years

It's a deep sense of knowing I am making positive decisions
that benefit myself and others...
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There are lots of pink clouds that ppl talk about. One is what it feels like to be IN the grace of God and feeling that power inside yourself........that's a good cloud.

The "bad" one ppl refer to is the "oh, I'm ok today......I don't drink.......go to meetings......everything's wonderful....haven't worked the steps nor carry the message but I'm GREAT and this 1. is good enough and 2. will last" That one is kinda delusional......and can be kinda dangerous cuz if we're not growing in sobriety, we're going backwards. There's little to no "standing still" - it's usually getting better or getting worse.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
There are lots of pink clouds that ppl talk about. One is what it feels like to be IN the grace of God and feeling that power inside yourself........that's a good cloud..

I think this is where I am at to be truthful..
Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Re:pink cloud

Pink cloud....Maybe. Finally admitting how powerless we are over alcohol, I do believe, is more apropos -but don't quote me on that. Remaining in the recovery process is what matters most. So, I say unto you in the words of a group member (who's name I forgot, so don't sue me...please): Stay...Baby...Stay. Silly...but effective.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Maybe what Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" was/is about? I think its about being complacent in a good place.