Notices

Day 20 : I survived a wedding

Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 20 : I survived a wedding

that was hard work and something I dont want to go through again in a hurry.....I am in shock at how my senses were overpowered by the thought of drinking. But hey, here I am sober...tomorrow will be day 21.

I turned down 4 glass of champagne, about 6 glasses of wine (they were continually being topped up) beer beer and more beer. I toasted the bride and groom with water and I turned down the starter because it had Martini in it.

I was at breaking point so left the evening party early. There was some major drinking going on around me.

Want to know something amazing? For two years I had pain in my stomach, so much so I am booked into a clinic to get my Colon checked......its gone. It went going into week 3....for the first time in years. The arthritis in my right hand has gone - clearly caused by the acid in my cheap red wine.

I need to record these thoughts and physical changes so that one day again in the future when I am struggling I can log on and remind myself of 'some' of the positives in not drinking....some of the many fabulous positives
Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pounding..it is amazing. I started suffering from extreme "anxiety" daily. That is GONE ..stomach problems constant..GONE. Daily confusion..GONE. One of my drinks of choice was Carlo Rossi Sangria. Rot gut to the tee. I saved it for my At Home Drinking. It is so gnarly and nasty you don't drink it in public without suffering ridicule! It was a very private moment. One that I do NOT miss!!! Good for you on the wedding. I have been to several occasions..I arrive fashionably late..and leave early! Congrats in advance to your 21 days!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are doing well...

It sure wouldn't hurt to keep that appointment
just to get that concern sorted out for certain..
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Glad to know you are doing well...

It sure wouldn't hurt to keep that appointment
just to get that concern sorted out for certain..
thankyou Carol..

I will keep the appointment. I am so glad I am on this forum tonight and not at the wedding getting wasted... This place is inspirational..thankyou
Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! I couldn't have gotten through a wedding sober in early sobriety.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome job pounding!! I have a wedding next weekend and I am dreading it. I am 27 days sober. Thanks for the inspiration that I will be able to make it through = )
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the wedding and on feeling better! You are awesome!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
orangutan

Congrautlations on surviving the wedding I am day 20 also and I know I could not do that.
I would crack for sure!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Re:Day 20 : I survived a wedding

Thanks pounding for your share.

One can only admire your bravery and resilience, and certainly applaud your efforts to remain sober; especially, in any setting where the drinks are flowing –like weddings. May I also applaud your exit strategy, as well; knowing what the possible consequences could be for any recovering alcoholic when temptation throws them a curveball –which could happen. We Give you a gold star for sticking to the game plan, and following through on your promise to remain sober -despite the surroundings. Great Job...High five anyone.

~God bless~

Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on the wedding, and I agree about the aches and pains going away. I used to have terrible pains in my wrists, knees, ankles and feet that I attributed to old sports injuries, and now that I am sober the pain has disappeared miraculously.

As far as not being able to not get through a drinking event sober, try some visualization. Imagine that the yellow champagne and beer is urine...if it were would you drink it because everyone else is? By using some of these techniques I have trouble thinking about drinking alcohol without gagging.

The key is to make your brain not want it...once you accomplish that 1 night events aren't that hard to get through. And believe it or not people like you better when you are sober.