Notices

I drink even if i'm sober

Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I drink even if i'm sober

I have 53 days sober today. But in my dream last night I drank a few beers and looked up and thought to myself, 'i wouldnt drink in real life, this is just a dream.. If i believe that im just in as dream, the dream will be found out and it will turn into reality.' So I played along like it was real life, knowing in the back of my mind that it's all a dream, just like I have every night.
It feels kinda silly to stay sober in my real world because once i go to sleep, im drinking again, i dont care if im drinking. I try so hard in the real world just to drink in my dreams, which feels like 4 hours a day. Ive got to stop dreaming about drinking because its defeating all my effort of being sober.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do the same thing. I fell asleep for about an hour last night before being woken up and already had a vivid drinking dream. The thing that I notice, and maybe it is the same for you, is that I do not enjoy drinking in my dreams. I get no benefit from it at all, it is 100% negative. I don't feel drunk in my dreams, and the problems that arise are more pronounced than in real life. In real life there were only 2 or 3 others that knew of my drinking. Usually in my dreams I'm getting caught my a variety of people.

Just a thought . . .
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Dreams do not necessary reflect our conscious world. (I have never been in school wearing only my underpants and no one notices. LMAO). In seriousness, I have had these dreams, only to wake up and feel relief that it was only a dream and my sobriety is still intact. I must admit, I personally have never put too much credence in dreams, my sober consciousness is my reality.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

BTW, congrats on the 53 days, TL. Doesn't it feel good to know you have gone that far into your journey? Well done.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Its possible that you have 'hard-stamped' Sobriety on your mind, rather than just fit it into a new life. Its obviously important to you tho.
In early Sobriety i set out a number of things i wanted to achieve, and made them happen, i didnt want a ball and chain, for i knew i wouldn't move forward.

Hmmm... never dreamt about drinking... ever, that i can recall.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have had many drinking dreams in sobriety. There were especially prevalent in early sobriety. Today I look at them as just a dream/nightmare whatever one calls what the unconscious mind does during sleep. I don't take my nightmares seriously so I can not take a drunk dream seriously as neither have anything to do with what I choose to do or not do during my waking hours. Just my opinion and experience though.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was told using dreams are normal for people in sobriety. I would get them to the point of waking up feeling hungover and scared. As time passed its been less and less.

Hang in there.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking dreams are very common.

For me I rationalised I drank for 20 years - it would be weird not to dream about it.

But I treat dreams as dreams - I shrugged them off and kept working on my recovery and everything turned out ok TL

D
Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I would think it's natural to have drinking dreams when we get sober, because it takes a lot of mental and emotional energy. For me, there was also a fear at first that I would drink again....... so I'm actually surprised I haven't had more dreams about it than I have (three or four in the first few months).

If you spend time worrying about them, it might actually increase their frequency........ (?) Hang in there - and congrats on 53 days - that's great!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It feels kinda silly to stay sober in my real world because once i go to sleep, im drinking again, i dont care if im drinking
Well TL, no one ever got arrested, lost a friend, ruined a marriage, or destroyed their liver by drinking in a dream. I think you should feel great for staying sober in the real world, because that's the world that matters. 53 days is awesome. I remember when escaping from alcohol seemed like a dream to me...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have them too. Its disturbing that I think about getting drunk even when I'm asleep