Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Breathing rapidly when mixing vodka and energy drink shots

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why is this? Then my heart beats fast too. I only do it on the weekend as the energy shots and vodka are expensive. I'll mix 3 shots vodka with 1 of those little energy shots mixed with juice. Is it bad for me if I do this in the long-term only on weekends
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't think it would be good for you. Are you trying to quit drinking, or are you trying to find a "safe" way to party?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used to drink vodka and Red Bull until one time I woke up at 5:30 AM face down on my keyboard.

The last thing I remember was feeling great around 2AM, feeling totally coherent.

I'd go out on a limb and say it's probably not very good for you.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

SarahBear-

Vodka and redbull was my shot of choice. I'd drink 3 or 4 or 8 or 10 shots three to four times a week (plus beer and coke and I'm not talking about coca-cola).

Are you trying to quit drinking? I only say this b/c this is a recovery website and we'd be glad to help you to quit.

Kjell~
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is very dangerous to mix energy drinks and vodka, Alcohol is a dower and energy drinks are an upper, when you mix the two, it can stop your heart. I know redbull is a common chaser for alcohol because it almost completely covers the taster, but it is really dangerous. A lot of people do it. You could compare it to speed balling but of coarse the risk for the both of them is very different.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sarah,

If you're trying to stop drinking, we're here to help.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah double vodka and redbull...about 8 of them to finish off the night...it's the caffeine in the energy drink that gets the heart going which can cause breathlessness...

Maybe you could stick around and read some more and see if you think you have a problem with alcohol:-)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the energy drink without the Vodka is supposed to do the same thing. Lots of caffeine and herbs to make you alert normally make your heart beat faster.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trying to find a safer way to "party" The only place I can seem to meet men that I may see regularly are at bars. Im not a Church person.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahBear View Post
Trying to find a safer way to "party" The only place I can seem to meet men that I may see regularly are at bars. Im not a Church person.
Wrong website. Come back if you ever want to explore a sober lifestyle.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A college kid here died from that mixture. Uppers and downers together will ruin your heart. Good luck and its easier to just not drink
Old 03-28-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad your still here to Post. Dangerous combination. Please read the horror stories of people who wound up in the ER from doing this. Also the obituaries. I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but your post alarmed me.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

why are you posting this here? Figure with an audience of drunks we could help you drink more safely? Yeah we're real pros at that. *rolls eyes*
Old 03-28-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you want to drink like a pro ask as pro how!

I take it as a compliment!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A safer way to party? Compared to what, heroin?

Oh, and a guy who's turned on by drunk, over-caffeinated women? Not the guy you want to be meeting.

How about trying your luck in a bookstore or at the gym?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Godbymyside View Post
It is very dangerous to mix energy drinks and vodka, Alcohol is a dower and energy drinks are an upper, when you mix the two, it can stop your heart. I know redbull is a common chaser for alcohol because it almost completely covers the taster, but it is really dangerous. A lot of people do it. You could compare it to speed balling but of coarse the risk for the both of them is very different.

Glad you said it, that was my immediate thought as well. Can you say River Phoenix? John Belushi? to name a few.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Interesting post and replies; I am sure that if your alcoholic; like the big book states, demoralization and such will follow the use of any alcohol combinations. More time perhaps should be sought finding out why you cant be totally abstinent then perhaps why you haven't died yet. This disease kills and is not a game nor respecter of the weekend binger. I hope you have sought some meetings and a sponsor and am going to pray that God provide no more weekends of vodka or any alcohol...........
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Please do us this much Sarah. Avoid mixing uppers with downers if you plan on continuing "Partying". If you are not sure which is up or down it might be in your health's interest to find out before you do it. Taking anything without having a full understanding of what it will do to you is reckless. Please take care and do a little research before you hurt yourself.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think I'd just not do it Sarah, if it affects you in a way that's uncomfortable it's probably time to listen to your body. And as it's already been said- we are here to help if you are trying to quit drinking, but dear we can't help you drink safely... It's just not an option for me, I won't speak for others but yes, this is a recovery site. Take care. As for meeting guys... there are plenty of options besides bars and churches. However, if bars are truly the only place you view as an option- what about drinking a soda at the bar? Assuming the reason you are going is to meet guys and not more to drink. Meeting a potential mate is an endeavor better pursued sober IMHO anyway.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to drink vodka and red bull like it was going out of style. Really not smart and if you drink as much as I did, you are still going to pass out.

Now I like those Monster coffee/energy drinks.