Notices

scared

Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared

I have to admit, I am scared like crazy of alcohol. I quit, but what if I start again? for most who probably dont remember I was in a crazy relationship and binged 4 or 5 tinmes last summer. bad binges, 12-18 drinks in a 120 lb female. I went to aa even while doing that before I finally moved out (didn't help) and have been doing fine since october. Im just freaked because I read that most alcoholics dont recover. Is that true? I need a little glimmer of hope, because I have seen what alcohol does to people, including death and it scares the hell out of me. Im ok now, what if something upsets me again?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm scared of alcohol too, but I think it's a healthy fear. I don't even remember the last time I drank not even the first drink and I wound up od'ing on prescription drugs and nearly succeeded in killing myself, so yes alcohol scares me because I know I black out totally and who knows what I'm capable of. So I don't drink and unless someone were to tie me up and force alchol down my throat I have nothing to worry about as I've recovered from the desire/need to drink and so can you.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

I used to feel afraid of Alcohol but that was a long time ago. I think if you continue to be afraid of something, then you cannot give it any respect. Respect from fear isn't real.
Once you are not afraid of something, you are calmer with it, allowing you to understand it better. When you understand something better, you begin to control the affect that it has upon you.

Or am i just chatting?? Works for me, and im of this earth! ;-)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

As I posted yesterday to another person expressing their angst of alcohol, Fear is a weak foe when fully confronted. Stand firmly, commit deeply, and believe in yourself fully, and your fears will melt like snow on a warm spring day.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always hope, and you can recover from alcoholism. Many of us do.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Alcohol is chemically a toxin...like many poisons
I won't be drinking it...hope you won't either.

Regardless of circumstances ..I've continued my recovery
and Yes! you can too........
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi bubblehead

I think the only statistic you need to keep in mind is it's 100% sure that you can this, if you're prepared to do whatever it takes not to pick up that first drink again...ever

D
Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee on this one. A lot of studies have shown a relationship between success and the belief that its possible, regardless of the subject matter.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Bubblehead, glad you're here. I'm not one for statistics... All I know is that I follow my program, listen to my sponsor, and as far as alcohol, I only worry about today. I'm good for today- I know that- and tomorrow I shall lather, rinse and repeat

The idea of "forever" is chaotic and huge to me; it is a great relief to not have to constantly think about that. I work the steps, and each day I learn something new and do something good for someone else. I'm happier than I've been since I was a child. I hope you too will find your way through to the good side of the journey where the lack of alcohol becomes less and less of an issue.

best,
s
Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunrise1 View Post
... as far as alcohol, I only worry about today. I'm good for today- I know that- and tomorrow I shall lather, rinse and repeat

The idea of "forever" is chaotic and huge to me; it is a great relief to not have to constantly think about that.
Same for me. Just worry about today.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to not be afraid of it. In fact I took pride in how much I could drink.

Now I am afraid of it and proud I don't drink.

You mess with the bull you get the horns.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree that a certain amount of fear/respect is healthy. Fear of alcohol, gratitude for sobriety—those are my left and right hands these days.

And you're not "most alcoholics", bubblehead. You're you—and all that matters is whether you drink again.

Like everyone's saying, I just take it day by day. Of course stuff is going to happen that upsets me. That's life. Surprises, good and bad, are scattered all along the way. But so far I haven't seen a bad day that couldn't be made worse by drinking. And the good days are infinitely better now.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post

Alcohol is chemically a toxin...like many poisons
I won't be drinking it...hope you won't either.

Regardless of circumstances ..I've continued my recovery
and Yes! you can too........
thank you carol and everyone else as well. my mother's (alcohol related) dementia is getting to me and making me worry someday I might end up like this. I know she tried to quit and at the time, we thought it was the difference between life and death for her and she still couldn't, she still drinks to this day. this is the saddest thing I have ever seen and I could be angry with her for drinking but its hard to be angry when I have been there and know I could again one day. I am not drinking currently but god what if I do? Its like you can't control yourself. Scary. This disease is a monster. My mom used to be a logical, sane person. that person is gone. god this sucks
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bubblehead View Post
Im just freaked because I read that most alcoholics dont recover. Is that true? I need a little glimmer of hope, because I have seen what alcohol does to people, including death and it scares the hell out of me. Im ok now, what if something upsets me again?
I have recovered from alcoholism and drug addiction(a seemingly hopeless condition of mind and body). One of the first major promises the Big Book of Alcoholic's Anonymous gives me. Does this mean I am cured??? No, what I have is a daily reprieve based upon some practices outlined in that book.

Know that hope exists, know that you can wake up in the morning and not obsess about a stupid beer, know that you don't have to be on guard 24/7 shielding yourself from liquor. The book promises that we will be placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected. How cool!!!

How does one get into this recovered state you may be asking??? Open the Big Book and do everything it asks from the front cover to pg. 164.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I'm scared of alcohol too, but I think it's a healthy fear. I don't even remember the last time I drank not even the first drink and I wound up od'ing on prescription drugs and nearly succeeded in killing myself, so yes alcohol scares me because I know I black out totally and who knows what I'm capable of. So I don't drink and unless someone were to tie me up and force alchol down my throat I have nothing to worry about as I've recovered from the desire/need to drink and so can you.
Jamdis

How long has it taken you to reach this stage where you are so confident that you will never drink again??
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
I have recovered from alcoholism and drug addiction(a seemingly hopeless condition of mind and body). One of the first major promises the Big Book of Alcoholic's Anonymous gives me. Does this mean I am cured??? No, what I have is a daily reprieve based upon some practices outlined in that book.

Know that hope exists, know that you can wake up in the morning and not obsess about a stupid beer, know that you don't have to be on guard 24/7 shielding yourself from liquor. The book promises that we will be placed in a position of neutrality, safe and protected. How cool!!!

How does one get into this recovered state you may be asking??? Open the Big Book and do everything it asks from the front cover to pg. 164.
Omegasupreme.
Sounds to me like AA has really helped you.
I have never been but I was seriously thinking about joining.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post

I have a copy of the big book. Its free online too (YAY for those it helps cause its free) While I respect AA a great deal, its not for me. Maybe I am ok, maybe I am not. I am not drinking now, but what if I do in the future? my mother scares the hell out of me.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

and I apologize for being a drama queen on here, because i know there are those with bigger problems. but this is horrifying.
If you drink, stop. I hope I never do again.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon everyone's pain or fear is real & everyone's problem is important bubblehead

D
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was scared 20 yrs. ago but had the desire to
stop drinking. Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic
here in Baton Rouge, La. living sober since 8-11-90.