Notices

Rehab Question

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raindance View Post
I will try to contact them before I go to see if I can bring a book of my own or not. Didn't see any harm in asking here too.
Are you going to read Stephen King books or are you going to recover? I spot what I got...I personally never went to a nuthut to recover. I went once to avoid some potential legal stuff, once to find a girl that I met the previous time when I was avoiding legal stuff, and once because I knew if I said no the ER doctors were going to have me court mandated into going(this revolved around the ending of the relationship with the girl from the first two experiences, lol), see my alcoholism learned you can check back out quicker if you go voluntarily rather than Baker Acted. Just curious on the motives???

As far as reading, I can name 2 maybe 3 here in Texas that at least in the first 30 days at the facility will not allow anything other than the Big Book. No TV, radio, cell phone, nothing, just AA a la Gilligan's Island style. The funny part is two of the 3 are free and the third is a high dollar facility. Go figure, common problem, common solution, pg.17.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was only looking for clarification on their wording of "No Inappropriate Reading Material". I am going there with every intent on contributing to their program, but if during any downtime I am allowed to read a book, I will bring one.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

From what people say, it sounds like rehab is just medical detox followed by reading of the Big Book, "Twelve Steps & Twelve Traditions" and other Hazelden Press books, with daily AA meetings.

Is that about right?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Depends where you go.

This one is way more than medical detox: Mark Houston Recovery | Gender Specific Drug & Alcohol Rehab Centers

So is this one: Wheelhouse Home Page

We call these recovery houses though, not rehabs.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll know more when I get there I guess. It is called a recovery centre, rehab is a general term to me.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you every success RD.

I understand rules and the rationale behind them, but personally for me, I think not being able to read *something* not 'work related' would not be very conducive to my recovery.

I love my books

D
Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Pretty bizarre that they allow you to access reading material on the internet but not 'outside' reading material.
There is nothing bizarre about it. When I originally came to rehab I was still working on my doctoral classes, but I realized that continuing my doctoral work was impossible so I decided to take an incomplete for the semester. However, I was not going to give up my computer privileges after I had fought so hard to get them. Thanks for your concern