Notices

Anti-depressants & Benzodiazepes

Old 11-13-2003, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Anti-depressants & Benzodiazepes

This is sort of an extension of the "Anti-depressant" thread. My husband is an active alcoholic. Though he was sober for about 1 year. About a month after he quit drinking he went to his doctor complaing about anxiety/depression. The doctor immediately put him on anti-depressant (which I have no problem with) and bezodiazepenes (tranquilizers, which I have a big problem with). Now my husband has been on the tranquilizers for over 2 years. They are a controlled addictive drug that physically changes the way your brain works. They are a psycotropic drug. My husband takes the highest recommended dosage that a doctor is willing to prescribe, and messes with the dosage (not surprising for an alcoholic). I believe that if a person truely needs these forms of drugs, then they should also be seeing a therapist. I would also like to note that I have read many books on alcoholism, and they almost always have a chapter on tranquilizers. They were very similar to alcohol, and one book stated that many doctors prescribe them to recovering alcoholic mistaking withdrawal for anxiety disorders.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perhaps you should discuss this with your husband and his doctor.

phoenix
Old 11-13-2003, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

The combination of Alcohol and Librium, (a benzodiazopine) was almost the death of me. A well meaning Dr. prescribed them for withdrawl symptoms after I convinced her that I really wanted to quit drinking. I ended up taking them AND drinking. I ended up ODing twice, I fell down and hit my head resulting in brain surgery and broke my ribs twice. Both these drugs act in the same way,multiplying each others effects. NOT a good thing

Even Bill W. in the Big Book mentions "A doctor came with a heavy sedative. Next day found me drinking both gin and sedative. This combanation soon landed me on the rocks..." (pg. 6-7, Fourth ed.)

"Fear is the opposite of Faith"