Notices

Accomplisment!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accomplisment!

Hello all,

Just wanted to post an accomplisment i made today in my alcoholism! So last night at 1am my friend came over because her friend was going to NYC on some business, and she invited me to come, so i did cause i never been there before, so i went, went through PA, then NJ to NYC got there at 11am, let me say first to add to the story, i hated it all, PA was just basically a 2 lane freeway with no streetlights at all, then new jersey smelled just as bad as people say it does, like burning crap best i could describe it, made it to NYC, couldnt find out way around, tried asking directions, either they didnt know english, didnt know where anything was, or just completely snobbed us, no parking spots at all, lots of angry drivers, so ijust got home a few hours ago, sleep deprived, have been awake 36 hours now, but the main point of the story is this....i have gone 36 hours without any alcohol and experienced no withdrawl symptoms in the least bit! just thought i;d post this!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Maureenbeer))) - that's pretty darned impressive that you went through all that and didn't drink!!

Keep up the good work! Recovery isn't a bed of roses, but I wouldn't change my WORST day, in recovery, for any day of when I was using.

I must have been lucky...my dad is an expediter and I've helped him drive to NY. We went through a lot of pretty country (Amish country), didn't get into the crazy city stuff until we got to New York city. Yeah, we had a GPS AND a computer with Microsoft Streets & Trips, still couldn't find where we were going to, and had to ask 3-4 people before we found where we were supposed to be, but it was a pretty cool trip.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-23-2011, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As a 12th generation New Yorker I'm sorry you had a bad experience in my city...but I'm glad you didn't drink. Driving in new York takes some practice.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's my understanding from earlier posts that you're attempting to taper off rather than quit completely. Unfortunately I can't really support that since it has a very poor record of success. I urge you to continue this past the 36 hours and stop for good. Unless this period of abstinence leads to complete abstinence, I'm not sure I can celebrate it with you as a success.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AHEM! I live in NJ (south central, near Princeton) no smells here...and we have street lights, paved roads and even indoor plumbing!

sorry you experienced a bad time in NYC.....it's better if you take the train in...and GPS is very helpful to get you directions anywhere.

congrats on not drinking, what a memorable start to your sobriety.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you travel alot and will be attending AA, I have heard that going to different meetings in different states is a nice change. Personally have not done so but have heard good things from others about their experience. Congrats on not drinking!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats for not drinking. That could have been a trigger but you managed it real well.You have a lot to be proud of. And about Jersey, I'm a Jersey girl. Ahhhumm. HaHa. God Bless
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As a Californian who spent 10 years out there, I gotta say NYC is terrific. And most of NJ is beautiful—it really is a garden state. Plus, there's Springsteen. 'Nuff said.

But to the real point of your message—what do you think about adding another day to that? And maybe another day?

Maureen, I spent years grabbing a day or two here and there, especially where circumstance conspired to keep me busy. But then I'd get home and be right back at it. One step up, two steps back. I wish I had made the decision to quit for good a lot sooner.

Congrats on the 36 hours. I hope you build on that!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by recoverywfaith View Post
If you travel alot and will be attending AA, I have heard that going to different meetings in different states is a nice change. Personally have not done so but have heard good things from others about their experience. Congrats on not drinking!
I can vouch for this, I have been to AA meetings in over a dozen states. I really need to make a list of these.